Collapse
No announcement yet.

any car guys out there? looking for a 2016 mid-sized SUV with 3rd row seating

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if only the mazda CX5 was just a little bit longer and had more storage that'd be tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tago Nang Tago View Post
      so....there's been a major change in what we're looking for.

we are no longer looking for a mid-sized SUV with 3rd row seating, instead we are looking for a compact SUV/crossover with two rows of seats (5 seats total)

in this class we have the likes of the 2016....

-Honda CRV
      -Toyota Rav-4
      -Nissan Rogue
      -Nissan Murano
      -Kia Sportage
      -Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

i'll be honest though it's pretty much going to be between the Honda CRV and the Toyota Rav4 (non hybrid)

i really like everything about the CRV except for how fucking ugly it looks from the rear. the squared off look of the Rav 4 is much better imo. they're are pretty much identical in stats with the CRV beating it with minor things, although it's a CVT car.

it'll probably end up being traded in for a '17 CRV which was seen testing around in india, which looks much better.
      What caused the change in seating arrangement?

The 3rd row on mid-sized SUV's are typically considered "emergency 3rd row seats" anyway, and will typically be folded down the majority of the time. Do you just not need that much cargo capacity, or would you just rather have the ease of mind of driving a smaller crossover SUV? Give me an idea of the type of things you will be storing in your car on a typical day, and then another scenario where you would have some passengers and equipment too.

The unfortunate thing about the crossover SUV class with 2 row seating is that they're all pretty ugly. But you'll be paying a lot less than you would have on the EX Pilot, or any other mid-sized SUV, so you can go for the higher trims if you want. You only have two major players here, the Honda CR-V and the Toyota Rav4. The Mazda CX5 as you mentioned is nice, but has the smallest cargo capacity out of those, but it does look the best IMO. Nissan has the Murano or Rogue, I forget which is two rows, and then Chevy and Ford have a few as well. Jeep has some too but you're looking at less MPG's with them.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time go for the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE. It's under 30k and one of the only Hybrids in this class. I'd only take the Rav4 over the CR-V in the Hybrid model, otherwise take a higher trim (EX or EX-L) CR-V. And then as you mentioned, trade it in for a 2017 CR-V when it comes out if you like it better. I do agree that the CR-V's are extremely ugly from the back, hopefully the 2017's look better.

You should also check out the Mazda CX5 2017 and see if they've made any improvements to the cargo capacity. That's pretty much the only major flaw of the '16 CX5, it's just too small of a vehicle. And unlike the '17 CR-V, I believe the '17 CX5 is already out.
      Last edited by Nubia; 06-04-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
        What caused the change in seating arrangement?

The 3rd row on mid-sized SUV's are typically considered "emergency 3rd row seats" anyway, and will typically be folded down the majority of the time. Do you just not need that much cargo capacity, or would you just rather have the ease of mind of driving a smaller crossover SUV? Give me an idea of the type of things you will be storing in your car on a typical day, and then another scenario where you would have some passengers and equipment too.

The unfortunate thing about the crossover SUV class with 2 row seating is that they're all pretty ugly. But you'll be paying a lot less than you would have on the EX Pilot, or any other mid-sized SUV, so you can go for the higher trims if you want. You only have two major players here, the Honda CR-V and the Toyota Rav4. The Mazda CX5 as you mentioned is nice, but has the smallest cargo capacity out of those, but it does look the best IMO. Nissan has the Murano or Rogue, I forget which is two rows, and then Chevy and Ford have a few as well. Jeep has some too but you're looking at less MPG's with them.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time go for the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE. It's under 30k and one of the only Hybrids in this class. I'd only take the Rav4 over the CR-V in the Hybrid model, otherwise take a higher trim (EX or EX-L) CR-V. And then as you mentioned, trade it in for a 2017 CR-V when it comes out if you like it better. I do agree that the CR-V's are extremely ugly from the back, hopefully the 2017's look better.

You should also check out the Mazda CX5 2017 and see if they've made any improvements to the cargo capacity. That's pretty much the only major flaw of the '16 CX5, it's just too small of a vehicle. And unlike the '17 CR-V, I believe the '17 CX5 is already out.
        thanks for detailed breakdown. the 3rd row isn't needed anymore as we aren't doing a daycare thing anytime soon. when the time comes we will trade in this vehicle for a 3rd row option one if needed.

under typical driving scenarios i can see 2 occupants and one wheelchair that will stay in the car 24/7 for my aunt who is handicapped.

a loaded driving scenario would be 2, maybe 3 occupants, 2 dogs (one large, one small), the wheelchair, and a bike preferably being inside, however i'm aware that a bike rack might be a better option.

yes i like the CX5 but the cargo area is too small, mazda didn't utilize the cargo area correctly considering it's the same length as both the rav4 and crv which both have better storage capacity.

with that being said,we'll probably go with the CRV which rates higher than the Rav4, even though the Rav4 imo looks way better. one major flaw of the rav4 is the fact that there are no air vents in the back. so you have to waste the vents in the front to point them to the rear instead of having them point at the driver/passengers. we are going to test drive one tomorrow.

thanks again,
        Last edited by Tago Nang Tago; 06-05-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

thanks for detailed breakdown. the 3rd row isn't needed anymore as we aren't doing a daycare thing anytime soon. when the time comes we will trade in this vehicle for a 3rd row option one if needed.

under typical driving scenarios i can see 2 occupants and one wheelchair that will stay in the car 24/7 for my aunt who is handicapped.

a loaded driving scenario would be 2, maybe 3 occupants, 2 dogs (one large, one small), the wheelchair, and a bike preferably being inside, however i'm aware that a bike rack might be a better option.

yes i like the CX5 but the cargo area is too small, mazda didn't utilize the cargo area correctly considering it's the same length as both the rav4 and crv which both have better storage capacity.

with that being said,we'll probably go with the CRV which rates higher than the Rav4, even though the Rav4 imo looks way better. one major flaw of the rav4 is the fact that there are no air vents in the back. so you have to waste the vents in the front to point them to the rear instead of having them point at the driver/passengers. we are going to test drive one tomorrow.

thanks again,
          Yeah you can fit all that in a CR-V. I don't know about the bike, wheelchair, and the dogs with 3 people though. You're obviously going to have to squeeze the dogs in the 2nd row with one person with them. Then you'll have room for the wheelchair and maybe the bike if you take off the front tire in the cargo area. You could also opt for bike carrier roof rails.

Measure all that stuff before you to the dealer tomorrow to test drive one and make sure everything is square.

Comment

Take a wheelchair, kennels, and the bike to the dealer. Also remember that you can purchase attachments for mounting a bicycle to the roof rails if you go with leather trims on a CRV. If you choose an EX, you will need to mount a bike to the rear hatch.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              don't buy a new car. shop around for a while, even give a dealer a heads up for the actions, about a lightly used car. it takes a while to find them, but they're like gold in teh auto industry. it literally takes an engine a few thousand miles to start breaking it in. 20-30K milage is nothign on a well maintained car, and you really don't have to maintain much in the first 20-30 K. oil changes, etc.

i've been in the nissan exterra for about a week on a vacation, and it was a nice car. got a jeep renegade for a week and a half recently, and it was f#cking pathetic. nothing about that car was well designed or made. felt like a group of freshman undergrads in a design class got a chance to make a car.

other than that i've got nothign. i drive hatchbacks. subaru makes a safe, dependable, AWD wagon called the outback, which should be around the same size, and is probably available with third row seating. if you life in an area with snow they're amazing cars to have when the weather is bad. but they're getting expensive, like all cars, to repair. and they're in a lawsuit for designing engines that burn oil, and fighting tooth and nail to deny it [] so there's also that.

Subaru make great cars. In the U.S. I got a 1997 black gold package Toyota Land Cruiser, and a 2006 land cruiser also black. I would buy a newer one, but my parking in Japan is about 500 USD per month.

Also, you need proof of parking before you can buy a car in Tokyo area.

Comment

if only the mazda CX5 was just a little bit longer and had more storage that'd be tight.
                Jeepnee. A mixture of US and Filipino tech, just like you.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  Jeepnee. A mixture of US and Filipino tech, just like you.
                  u keep saying this, wtf is a jeepnee?

Comment

u keep saying this, wtf is a jeepnee?

this...common transportation in Philippines

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                      this...common transportation in Philippines

oh lol, i keep telling him over and over that i was born in the US and havent been to PI,but he keeps going on and on with the stereotypes.

Comment

Working...
                      X