No announcement yet.

Any Wrestling Fans on BoxingScene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post

LOL. I could picture JR kicking back a few before saying, "It's a slobber-knocker! And Triple H! That son of a *****!" Haha.

And we know Larry merchant consumed the hairy of the dog several times. Every time the camera panned over to him and he brought up poetry, I thought, "Yep. He's lit...and I look forward to what he says." Haha.

The old NWA days were great. Hell, Flair drank every night. That dude was inhuman. They also had the cool studio stuff going back then. I don't mind big arenas but I think it's best to hype up the big arena matches with small studio buffoonery ala Memphis wrestling back in its day.
    Larry Merchant is probably my favorite commentator of all-time in all sports. HBO went downhill when he left and Kellerman took over his spot.

Speaking of JR and Flair drinking, Vince ended up firing JR because he let didn't keep Flair in check during the press conference for the WWE 2K13 (I believe) video game. Flair and Ross started drinking before the show and got pretty loaded lmao. During the event, it was Flair's turn to speak and he went on this long drunk tangent about how great WWE is and how they looked after him after son passed away, and he started getting teary eyed and emotional. Awkward moment which had nothing to do with video game lol and JR didn't cut him off, he let Flair say whatever he wanted.

So JR took got the blame, and they didn't do anything to Flair, well because he's Ric Flair. Lol

Yeah, that was where Tony Schiavone got his start, in that small studio interviewing wrestlers. That studio was awesome, I remember all those ladies screaming for Flair. Funny how Schiavone and Arn Anderson have that "forever 40" look. They were in their 20s in the 1980s, but looked 40 years old back then. Now they're in their 60s, but still look 40.
    Last edited by Willy Wanker; 01-27-2022, 07:00 PM.
    Tony Trick-Pony Tony Trick-Pony likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post

Bobby the Brain might be the GOAT commentator or "broadcast journalist" as he would say lol. R.I.P.

It's a shame that when Heenan went to WCW Nitro, he stopped giving a sht and he did his commentary while he was obviously drunk, kind of like Larry Merchant in his later years.

I liked how Ventura always gave McMahon sht, it was hilarious. That was the original straight laced play by play guy getting roasted by the heel color commentator.

They still used that formula for the most part throughout the years like with JR/King, or like Saxton and Graves nowadays who have that same dynamic. Also with Cole and McAfee obviously, McAfee is so good and funny that he even makes Cole break character sometimes.
      Oh yeah, one more thing, as Columbo would say. Ever notice on Smackdown recently that Pat McAfee has started throwing a pencil in the air and catching it on camera at the beginning of shows like Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig used to do on commentary?
      Willy Wanker Willy Wanker likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

I'd rather see Ross with Jericho. They were entertaining together, but those are good picks too. I never saw what was so bad about Excalibur, but if you truly wanna see some awful commentary, try and find some video of Dusty Rhodes doing commentary on WCW from the early 90s, I believe and Superstar Billy Graham from the late 80s in WWF from the old MSG Network broadcasts and the 1988 Summerslam. Or Art Donovan in that one King of the Ring.
        Never heard Dusty do commentary back in the early 90s, but I remember him filling in for some Nitro episodes in the late 90s, yeah he was bad. Hahaha

That Mike Adamle guy from American Gladiators who ended up doing commentary for Raw sucked really bad as well.

Problem with Excalibur is that he doesn't sound natural, like he's always reading off a script. As I said earlier, he doesn't have any chemistry with the other guys. It's good to plan ahead for the things you want to say, but you gotta improvise as well. He might do better in WWE with Vince in his ear telling him what to say all the time. I tried giving him a chance because he is very knowledgeable with all those years as a wrestler, but he's going on 3 years now, and his commentary hasn't improved much at all.

Jericho and Ross do work well together. Maybe when Jericho retires or goes on a part-time schedule, they can move him to Dynamite with JR.

CM Punk is really good too actually.

Comment

Oh yeah, one more thing, as Columbo would say. Ever notice on Smackdown recently that Pat McAfee has started throwing a pencil in the air and catching it on camera at the beginning of shows like Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig used to do on commentary?
          Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if that's a tribute to Mr. Perfect or just a coincidence.

I almost forgot about Curt Hennig doing commentary, he was also really good too. He didn't do it for very long though.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if that's a tribute to Mr. Perfect or just a coincidence.

I almost forgot about Curt Hennig doing commentary, he was also really good too. He didn't do it for very long though.
            Gotta be a tribute. Can't just be a coincidence.

Comment

Larry Merchant is probably my favorite commentator of all-time in all sports. HBO went downhill when he left and Kellerman took over his spot.

Speaking of JR and Flair drinking, Vince ended up firing JR because he let didn't keep Flair in check during the press conference for the WWE 2K13 (I believe) video game. Flair and Ross started drinking before the show and got pretty loaded lmao. During the event, it was Flair's turn to speak and he went on this long drunk tangent about how great WWE is and how they looked after him after son passed away, and he started getting teary eyed and emotional. Awkward moment which had nothing to do with video game lol and JR didn't cut him off, he let Flair say whatever he wanted.

So JR took got the blame, and they didn't do anything to Flair, well because he's Ric Flair. Lol

Yeah, that was where Tony Schiavone got his start, in that small studio interviewing wrestlers. That studio was awesome, I remember all those ladies screaming for Flair. Funny how Schiavone and Arn Anderson have that "forever 40" look. They were in their 20s in the 1980s, but looked 40 years old back then. Now they're in their 60s, but still look 40.
              LOL. I call that the Steve McQueen Syndrome. McQueen looked 40 at twenty and for his entire career which is a good asset for an actor or entertainer, I suppose. That's hilarious about Flair and JR drinking. And well, I'd let JR take the fall, too. As Arn Anderson once said, "I've seen this man leave behind hundred thousand dollar suits at the airport and keep on walking. He's Ric Flair."
              Willy Wanker Willy Wanker likes this.

Comment

I still spit my gum out and slap it like Perfect used to do.

Comment

• Watching Snack down now

Been a minute.

Sonya Deville from NJ ? she just lost

Comment

• Originally posted by markusmod View Post

I still spit my gum out and slap it like Perfect used to do.
                    I heard Hennig's son used to sometimes do that when he was in little league. He was briefly in WWE as Curtis Axel. Glad Naomi beat Sonya. Did she pin her? I gotta watch that on my DVR.

Still gotta watch Rampage too, but how good was that ladder match where Sammy won back the TNT title from Cody? Sammy never should've lost it. Good to see Rhodes finally realized that after the backlash he got from the fans from that horrible booking. Also a good way for Cody to drop the title without eating a pin, I guess. Hell of a lights out match. Was hoping Adam Cole wouldn't lose until a PPV, but I guess since it's unsanctioned, it doesn't count against his record, but we still got to see him lose, which still doesn't make him look as strong. I just hope Cole keeps getting a major push and an eventual face turn within a year or two because look at the huge reaction he gets from the fans. I say let the Young Bucks turn on him, but still keep Britt Baker heel for a while longer, at least until after she's done being champ. Way too good on the mic to turn now.
                    Last edited by Anthony342; 01-29-2022, 02:32 AM.

Comment

I heard Hennig's son used to sometimes do that when he was in little league. He was briefly in WWE as Curtis Axel. Glad Naomi beat Sonya. Did she pin her? I gotta watch that on my DVR.

Still gotta watch Rampage too, but how good was that ladder match where Sammy won back the TNT title from Cody? Sammy never should've lost it. Good to see Rhodes finally realized that after the backlash he got from the fans from that horrible booking. Also a good way for Cody to drop the title without eating a pin, I guess. Hell of a lights out match. Was hoping Adam Cole wouldn't lose until a PPV, but I guess since it's unsanctioned, it doesn't count against his record, but we still got to see him lose, which still doesn't make him look as strong. I just hope Cole keeps getting a major push and an eventual face turn within a year or two because look at the huge reaction he gets from the fans. I say let the Young Bucks turn on him, but still keep Britt Baker heel for a while longer, at least until after she's done being champ. Way too good on the mic to turn now.
                      It's nuts that Hennig's son is already in his 40s

Comment

Working...
                      X