Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So basically we all got fired NEED a new job ASAP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titanium View Post
    One door closes, another one opens. I remember getting laid off and at the time it was bad. Looking back it was the best thing and I wouldn't be here with a better job. I realized didn't even like my old job, just hated getting laid off.
    wow so what was your old and new job if you dont mind me asking? did you at least get a proper severance when you got laid off or did they do you shady like they did us?

Comment

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
      Register with staffing companies, temp agencies, and your state workforce office.

Did you apply for unemployment benefits? You had said that the company told you that you are not technically fired, so I wonder how that works.

Start mass emailing your resume out and you'll be in some kind of job until you can take the time to find something more fitting.

I hate hearing this stuff, because it's scary and can happen to just about anyone at anytime.

Also, I don't know where the company thinks it's headed into the next generation by learning Excel? They're going to give up long time employees due to their inability to compile spreadsheets?

Management 101 tells you hiring a new staff is more costly to train them to do the job than it is to just have some 22 year old out of college come in for a week and teach you guys Excel.

I wouldn't want to work for a company like that.
      thanks bro i did register for a few staffing companies but most of them are garbage. one recruiter called me saying she could get me a high level management job right away then she started spamming me with all these $10/hour temp receptionist jobs near huntington beach area and i was like hey what about the management jobs you told me about but all she does is spam me some more.

I agree with your logic, but the new CEO and executive team are trying to trim the fat and downsize as much as possible to save the company as much money as they can. Of course I dont agree with it.

I think they wrote us that carefully drawn out email because they know we are in a gray area where they dont have to pay us unemployment, they may assume most of us will freak out and just take a new job anywhere, or they may actually rehire some of us if the new guys dont perform up to the par?

All around they did us dirty even if i eventually get asked back it leaves a horrible taste in our mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
        So I have been MIA for the last several weeks ever since my last thread about how my company was making all of us take these random exams testing our knowledge and skills about Excel and such.

The rumors turned out to be true that they were going to test us, management and senior employees, only to replace us by the younger newer employees who are more computer software savvy and willing to do our jobs at much lower salaries.

We took a 3 hour scantron exam about 65 of us all in a community center room. Rumor was that they were only going to keep like the top 3 managers who scored the highest out of the 65 of us managers and senior employees.

I unfortunately was not one of the top 3 scores so I just as about 62 of us got a long carefully corporate email stating that we are being forced to take a long leave of absence where we will not be getting paid nor will we know when we will or if we will be asked to come back.

The way they worded the email made it clear they were just covering their asses for legal California labor means.

So in the mean time I've been walking into a bunch of local companies dropping off my resume.

I even got so desperate that I even applied to: Costco, Carmax, Nordstroms, Enterprise, Public Storage and REI.

These were all like 7 miles within where I live so I don't want to commute long anymore.

Have you guys worked or no anyone who worked at any of the places I applied? Any opinions? or suggestions?

I also signed up for an Excel beginners course at the local Junior College which starts this week.

Wow I never thought I'd be in this mess in the year 2014. I remember how bad the economy was in the late 80's early 90's and remember seeing how all the adults were freaking out but I never knew I myself would be facing this type of BS as an adult.

I already interviewed with one company but they basically said i was too over qualified for their management trainee position or sales entry position due to my past salary history and management status. I would think a company would prefer a proven senior manager like myself than taking a chance on an unproven candidate?

I have a phone interview today at 3:00PM with a company but my research tells me they only pay like $12 hour I haven't made that low money since my first job out of college like 13 years ago!

Wish me luck guys and I hope those of you who are on the job search hunt the best as well.
        I worked at Enterprise Rent A Car in the Bronx (NYC) over 10 years ago. I don't know how much has changed but the pluses were that it's a fun job, you moved up according to your branch success, you knew how much $$ everyone made from the VPs (350-400K in NYC area because you get dough off the branches) on down to managers (about 50-60K) so there was no selective pay BS (plus I saw like 1 out of 3 managers were people of color and women) and you get the company discount on rental cars (Managers could take a different car home daily...or one consistent car for 6 months and pay the insurance).

The minuses were you worked Mon (7:30am to 6pm) thru Saturday (9am to Noon) at a local branch. If you were at an airport who KNOWS how long you work, but cutting your teeth at the airport got you promoted quicker.

Either way, best of success to you dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Haynes View Post
          I worked at Enterprise Rent A Car in the Bronx (NYC) over 10 years ago. I don't know how much has changed but the pluses were that it's a fun job, you moved up according to your branch success, you knew how much $$ everyone made from the VPs (350-400K in NYC area because you get dough off the branches) on down to managers (about 50-60K) so there was no selective pay BS (plus I saw like 1 out of 3 managers were people of color and women) and you get the company discount on rental cars (Managers could take a different car home daily...or one consistent car for 6 months and pay the insurance).

The minuses were you worked Mon (7:30am to 6pm) thru Saturday (9am to Noon) at a local branch. If you were at an airport who KNOWS how long you work, but cutting your teeth at the airport got you promoted quicker.

Either way, best of success to you dude.
          I owe you green k when it allows me bro! so it seems like you had it good at Enterprise then huh? I too heard its mad chill u just check people in and help them pick out a car. Damn i didn't know VP's made 400K thats pretty impressive.

yeah those hours are horrible 7:30 to 6pm mon - friday is damn near sweat shop hours. i remember our friend couldnt go out clubbing with us cuz he had to be up at work at 5am once I thought wow that must suck bad to work like 12 hours everyday nonstop i could see why the turn overs high.

i worked about 60 hours a week doing my property management job but the large majority was actually driving from property to property being stuck in traffic and all. I worked 9am to 9pm but i had big breaks in between cause i had to go from property to property all day. I pretty much was able to take breaks whenever there was downtime just as long as I made my rounds and took care of everything at each property.

We got a free gas card, free car insurance but we didnt get a company car so it ate up the miles fast on our personal cars.

Thats good that they had diversity in management bro. So why did you leave? Did you make it to management level?

Comment

Minimum wage in seattle is now $15. Pack your bags son

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
              WHOA! Crazy sweet fro you bro.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
                WHOA! Crazy sweet fro you bro.
                Yea I might take a 3rd job at mcdonalds

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
                  WTF that's crazy. Took me about 2 years to get to that level of pay after I got out of high school. Fck it Seattle here I cum

Comment

So I headed out at 10AM this morning and hit 5 new companies to drop off my resume. I wore a nice fresh suit and turned on the charm and personality.

2 of the 5 companies even gave me a first round interview on the spot which is a really good sign.

The other 3 were a 50/50 chance they will call me at all I'm sure they get flooded with applications and resumes.

I basically told everyone the truth about what happened and they all sided with me for the most part and wanted to even help me more after hearing it.

One of the companies said they would like to send me to their corporate office for a sales job and to call them one week later. I took that as a good sign.

The other company had a manager who wanted me to meet her boss she said if both her boss and her bosses boss likes me then i'm pretty much hired.

Today turned out to be a real productive day.

I started off feeling bummed out and even depressed but I just downed a shot of espresso and snapped out of it and drove all around in my suit and got some decent results.

Hopefully one of these guys takes me on soon.

But it seems one of the jobs only pays like $14/hour.

The corporate sales job obviously will pay a whole lot more but that company is up in Fullerton and I hate that area one of my boys got beat down by the cops for just driving while being black.

Part of me just wants to take the first company that hires me and the other part is telling me to hold out for the higher salary.

Its hard and tough out there fellas but stay strong and focus on your grind.

I woke up feeling like a shot fighter who couldn't even fight anymore but after drinking some espresso I felt the second wind. Coffee's a hell of a drug!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that man. Things are so damn competitive in So Cal, particularly Los Angeles. These days it's like you need a master's degree to get a decent job. I've been trying to get a job with the government for a minute. Good luck and continue to pound that pavement homie. Something good will come your way.

Comment

Working...
                      X