Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think a time-travel machine is possible?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    Actually, you aren't really making a good argument from your side. The word "TIME" is just a concept, yes that humans have put on the deterioration of the universe around us.

Let's make no mistake about it though, it is happening. Entropy is real, and we are all dying and "time" passing by is causing this effect.
    'Time' isn't the cause of anything. Its just a tool to measure. Measure life in the case of death, measure distance, measure change, etc. It doesn't cause anything, just measure.

Being smart isn't just why people listen to Hawkins, people listen because his being that smart allows him to understand things you or I never will.
    True, but that doesn't mean he can't, and hasn't been, wrong before.

And to be clear, time does exist as a concept. We humans came up with a system to measure things. Its just a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
      'Time' isn't the cause of anything. Its just a tool to measure. Measure life in the case of death, measure distance, measure change, etc. It doesn't cause anything, just measure.

True, but that doesn't mean he can't, and hasn't been, wrong before.

And to be clear, time does exist as a concept. We humans came up with a system to measure things. Its just a tool.
      Never said he isn't wrong, science is based on being wrong. It's the only way we learn.

Time is a concept, but the expansion of the universe, and entropy are real. It's the reason we die, it's the reason things deteriorate.

You are kind of making the argument that gravity isn't real because we can't see it and it's just a concept or label we place on a force we don't see and don't fully understand.

Comment

Never said he isn't wrong, science is based on being wrong. It's the only way we learn.

Time is a concept, but the expansion of the universe, and entropy are real. It's the reason we die, it's the reason things deteriorate.
        Sure, I agree. And time is just the created tool to measure that, or whatever else.

You are kind of making the argument that gravity isn't real because we can't see it and it's just a concept or label we place on a force we don't see and don't fully understand.
        No, my arguments more like a ruler or tape measure doesn't make something get bigger or smaller. It just measures.

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
          Sure, I agree. And time is just the created tool to measure that, or whatever else.

No, my arguments more like a ruler or tape measure doesn't make something get bigger or smaller. It just measures.
          I get it, but I think it's a silly argument. Can we say time is real because it's more than just a concept? We are dying, the universe is expanding, we are getting older and moments seem to pass by into memories.

Is that time? Is time simply just a concept?

Again, we aren't qualified to even talk on this level because we can't understand it. I have read quite a few people arguing that time doesn't exist, and when I was done I was more confused than when I started reading...lol

Comment

I get it, but I think it's a silly argument. Can we say time is real because it's more than just a concept? We are dying, the universe is expanding, we are getting older and moments seem to pass by into memories.

Is that time? Is time simply just a concept?
            Its no harm no foul in believing time exists, its real enough as far as we're concerned. But to answer your questions, that's not time. That's change. Time measures said change.

Its something silly to argue about if time exists or not, by itself. But in the context of if time traveling is possible....

Again, we aren't qualified to even talk on this level because we can't understand it. I have read quite a few people arguing that time doesn't exist, and when I was done I was more confused than when I started reading...lol
            Nobody is qualified to talk about it. Nobody knows. Its a philosophical argument more than anything that has gone back and forth for centuries. Nothing wrong with discussing it

Comment

Or what I should say is, all is fair on debating if time exists. I would agree with you tho on debating about whether or not we can undo a rotation around the sun. I can't even fathom that.
              Last edited by ~AK49~; 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I do enjoy the concept of the non-existence of time, though let's face facts.... Hawking never gets any.

Comment

got me thinking.... if time travel to the past is possible, surely our descendants or anyone from the future would've paid us a visit already...

am I wrong to think this way?

Comment

Not only is it possible... it's already been done!

I'm posting this from Sunday, May 4, 2014

My proof? MAYWEATHER BEAT MADIANA LAST NIGHT BY UNANIMOUS DECISION

Comment

If you haven't watched Primer, you should watch it. It's a weird low budget film about time traveling. Probably as realistic as time traveling films will get.

Comment

Working...
                      X