No announcement yet.

The left-wing exposed, AGAIN - by Thomas Sowell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    Progressive wasn't leftist in the American civil war.
    Not the point: Progressive IS leftist today and trying to use that definition from over a hundred years ago today is as pointless as trying to use the definition of liberal from Locke's era today. Hence my point about "not speaking the same language". No point in having a discussion when the words being used don't have the same meaning to the people involved in the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Not the point: Progressive IS leftist today and trying to use that definition from over a hundred years ago today is as pointless as trying to use the definition of liberal from Locke's era today. Hence my point about "not speaking the same language". No point in having a discussion when the words being used don't have the same meaning to the people involved in the discussion.
      Progressive is not necessarily left wing. It typically is nowadays because progressive politics is generally a move away from social hierarchies and traditionalism and towards individual liberties and equitable policy.

Comment

Dr. Thomas Sowell is the Neil deGrasse Tyson of economics, providing explanations that most people can understand to concepts they otherwise wouldn't. Because he routinely sheds light on how most Progressive policies exacerbate the conditions they were designed to improve, Progs tend to foam at the mouth at the mere mention of his name. Hence the invocation of Godwin's law and dropping of the race card on the very first page of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Le samouraļ View Post
          Truth. Even very "free" markets like Hong Kong's are still mixed economies. This obsession with the idea of the free market correcting itself is quite naļve.
          Japan is not very Free Market and has it's own set of problems with over-regulation and following U.S. Keynesian style monetary policy. In case you haven't been paying attention....their economy is not so hot right now. Japan is not Free Market enough...that's their problem.

They follow the same Keynesian fallacy of putting demand before supply [an oxymoron]. Supposedly there is not enough demand so they have to artificially create demand by printing more money, keeping interest rate low. Supposedly they're fighting Deflation [as if cheaper prices are a bad thing] by increasing the money supply and destroying the Yen's purchasing power. Same fallacy as in the U.S. Of course the Japanese financial sector benefits from this. Meanwhile they're chasing away real jobs with regulations... you know actual manufacturing jobs that produce goods, products and grow the real economy that gives your currency value in the first place. As a result...they have a trade deficit and import more goods than they export. Sound familiar?

Japan needs to stop following the U.S. Anti-Free Market Monetary policy, anti-capitalist overregulation of the Private economy...and their spending, borrowing and Debt habits. They need more Capitalism and less Govt & Quantitative Easing. They're still one of the biggest economies in the world and could be doing even better if they stopped listening to guys like Paul Krugman.

They're certainly not in as deep of a hole as we are... so it's not too late.
          Last edited by One_Tycoon; 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            Dr. Thomas Sowell is the Neil deGrasse Tyson of economics, providing explanations that most people can understand to concepts they otherwise wouldn't. Because he routinely sheds light on how most Progressive policies exacerbate the conditions they were designed to improve, Progs tend to foam at the mouth at the mere mention of his name. Hence the invocation of Godwin's law and dropping of the race card on the very first page of this thread.
            Godwin's Law? When?

Originally posted by One_Capitalist View Post
            Japan is not very Free Market
            Hong Kong isn't in Japan.

Comment

Japan is not very Free Market and has it's own set of problems with over-regulation and following U.S. Keynesian style monetary policy. In case you haven't been paying attention....their economy is not so hot right now. Japan is not Free Market enough...that's their problem.

They follow the same Keynesian fallacy of putting demand before supply [an oxymoron]. Supposedly there is not enough demand so they have to artificially create demand by printing more money, keeping interest rate low. Supposedly they're fighting Deflation [as if cheaper prices are a bad thing] by increasing the money supply and destroying the Yen's purchasing power. Same fallacy as in the U.S. Of course the Japanese financial sector benefits from this. Meanwhile they're chasing away real jobs with regulations... you know actual manufacturing jobs that produce goods, products and grow the real economy that gives your currency value in the first place. As a result...they have a trade deficit and import more goods than they export. Sound familiar?

Japan needs to stop following the U.S. Anti-Free Market Monetary policy, anti-capitalist overregulation of the Private economy...and their spending, borrowing and Debt habits. They need more Capitalism and less Govt & Quantitative Easing. They're still one of the biggest economies in the world and could be doing even better if they stopped listening to guys like Paul Krugman.

They're certainly not in as deep of a hole as we are... so it's not too late.
              Jesus Christ, a whole essay on Japan's economy when I mentioned Hong Kong. How embarrassing. Leave with your tail between your legs.
              Last edited by samouraļ; 02-28-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Jesus Christ, a whole essay on Japan's economy when I mentioned Hong Kong. How embarrassing. Leave with your tail between your legs.
                I zeroed in on your "Free Market" statement and immediately thought Japan....confusing Tokyo with Hong Kong.

I will freely admit that I often confuse Tokyo and Hong Kong.
                Last edited by One_Tycoon; 03-01-2014, 12:06 AM.

Comment

It zeroed in on your "Free Market" statement and immediately thought Japan....confusing Tokyo with Hong Kong.

I will freely admit that I often confuse Tokyo and Hong Kong.
                  Why would I mention Tokyo's economy in particular over Japan's as a whole? And being such a dedicated free-market enthusiast, shouldn't you have particular interest in Hong Kong and not get it easily confused with other Asian-sounding places? I mean, it is the freest economy in the world. Eh, nevermind. I think I'm expecting too much.
                  Last edited by samouraļ; 02-28-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                    Lefties are dodging your post lmao.

Comment

Why would I mention Tokyo's economy in particular over Japan's as a whole? And being such a dedicated free-market enthusiast, shouldn't you have particular interest in Hong Kong and not get it easily confused with other Asian-sounding places? Eh, nevermind.
                      Because Tokyo's or Hong Kong's economies by themselves aren't really economies...other than being financial centres. They depend on the rest of China and Japan for tangible goods as they can't eat stocks and paper. That's not Capitalism. New York City is not Capitalism. London is not Free Market Capitalism.

Free Market Capitalism is production and economic growth...not Banking and other financial services who are bigger than they otherwise would be if we had Free market based monetary system that wasn't based on Fiat money [which is inherently Non-capitalist]
                      Last edited by One_Tycoon; 03-01-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X