Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does race play a role in Athletic/Intellectual ability?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fistic View Post
    Sometimes we learn through our own ignorance, brother--I do it all the time. I'm glad you chimed in on a classic piece here.
    I guess were all guilty of being ignorant at some point.

I read his piece on Wikipedia a while back and was surprised it had a section on people in the music industry criticising him vocally, which seems absurd to my ears anyway.

Comment

Anyway here's one of the GOAT performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNQeKvVPPlc&sns=em

Can't embed off my tablet but its worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
        I guess were all guilty of being ignorant at some point.

I read his piece on Wikipedia a while back and was surprised it had a section on people in the music industry criticising him vocally, which seems absurd to my ears anyway.

bocelli isn't an opera singer. i don't really know what i'd call him, but he's not a tenor in the same sense that you'd call caruso, bjorling, domingo, pavarotti tenors.

the people who are criticizing poor blindie are probably stuck up pricks. i don't think he tries to pass himself off as a great tenor or as opera, though he does sing some of the songs. i don't think he tries to appeal to an opera crowd. he's almost like a pop singer. popera

Comment

Anyway here's one of the GOAT performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNQeKvVPPlc&sns=em

Can't embed off my tablet but its worth it.
          carreras is a technician, and domingo and pavarotti are powerhouses.

those three are great tenors, but this is best nessun dorma.

bjorling is the greatest tenor not named caruso. he might be better than caruso.

total #beast.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            bocelli isn't an opera singer. i don't really know what i'd call him, but he's not a tenor in the same sense that you'd call caruso, bjorling, domingo, pavarotti tenors.

the people who are criticizing poor blindie are probably stuck up pricks. i don't think he tries to pass himself off as a great tenor or as opera, though he does sing some of the songs. i don't think he tries to appeal to an opera crowd. he's almost like a pop singer. popera
            I appreciate your thoughts, NE. Bocelli obviously does a good job though. That video, that he produced with Sarah, is in my opinion, a taste of the man's versatility at the least.

Just whip out that gigantic Italian wang and stroke it to the notes of "Time to Say Goodbye."

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

Pavarotti also did a lot of collaborations with pop artists though. I agree he isn't in the same league, but he's got a damn good tone going on.

I remember you saying Caruso was the greatest. But I still think the Three Tenors version of Nessun Dorma is the best. All three complimemt each other ridiculously well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rights4Gays View Post
                What do you guys think on this matter? No racism or bigotry please.
                I don't know how to describe those bolded words with reference to how you them. Maybe paradox or naivete.

Comment

Pavarotti also did a lot of collaborations with pop artists though. I agree he isn't in the same league, but he's got a damn good tone going on.

I remember you saying Caruso was the greatest. But I still think the Three Tenors version of Nessun Dorma is the best. All three complimemt each other ridiculously well.

in addition to his money grabbing with this "pop" numbers, pavarotti cemented a legacy as one of the top 5 tenors ever.

boccelli doesn't even qualify to be rated. he's not a tenor. it's not opera.

they set out to do completely different things. pavarotti is a tenor, and sings opera. every now and again pavarotti would do some pop stuff, but he came up in an operatic tradition. he was studying under great singers by the end of his teens.

bocelli is a blind pop singer. he was actually educated as a laywer. if you listen to enough opera, you realize that bocelli is not opera.

unfortunately for caruso, he was dead long before nessun dorma was written.

Comment

Originally posted by Continue1UP View Post
                    LOL....... In your dreams!

I'm talking about grown women who moan and shout when you filled them up and push further into their stomach, making them feel like they are being beaten up.
                    Just imagine if the people you knew in real life found out you were saying stuff like this on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyIV View Post
                      I don't believe that people are born a lot smarter than others. Especially not universally across a race. I think everyone has more brain power than they will ever put to use. I think it depends mostly on the quality of education that people receive. I guess you could suggest the aborigines didn't put their brain power to much use. That's a sweeping generalization I know but they didn't create a great civilization they just lived off the land.

Edit: Neanderthals have been proven to have larger brains than us. Again they didn't have our knowledge of more sophisticated tools, and the fact our ancestors effective taught that superior knowledge to the next generation shows how a better education is key to perceiving a group of people as smarter than others.

In conclusion, if believe if you took a aborigine and put him through Harvard or Cambridge he would come out just as intelligent as the next guy.
                      You may believe this in an ideal world, but what do you have to back up the idea all peoples brains are essentially the same?

Just about every part of a humans anatomy is fairly unique and distinguishable from another. Bone size, structure, facial looks, height, genes, DNA, blood type. People have different athletic abilities, some a natural ability for performing strength tasks others subtly in particular sports.

All these things are also gradually slowly, slightly changing even in decades, i.e. the average human height has grown and is growing etc. That's evolution in subtler forms, and as someone mentioned past forms of the human family were shown to have larger brains.

Different parts of the brain perform different tasks. Why on earth would just the brain be the one thing that's uniformly the same across all 7 billion of us, with the same power and abilities for the numerous different things a brain can perform at?

Sorry that's not very credible. Brains like all the others area's are also different, and like pyscial differences and abilities, some have tendencies to be better at some things like photographic memory, maths, problem solving, rationality, all sorts.
                      Last edited by Kris Silver; 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X