Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you went back in time do you think you can beat a roman gladiator in a fist fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    I'm pretty sure they were highly trained to fight with swords and use shields for protection, as well as have armor. Take all of that away for a pure fist fight, I think you may have as much of a chance to beat them as you would fight any other physically fit man in the streets. I don't think they were super human. Not that size matters way too much, but it has to account for something, wasn't the average height and size for Roman much smaller than it is now? I think 5' 6" - 5' 7", 140-150lbs was very common. As opposed to now, the average American height is 5' 9" 160-180lbs?
    Roman soldiers were conscripts from conquered lands. Gladiators were professional fighters who spent every day training to kill.

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
    a spartan vs a gladiator would be ****in' epic...
    It would be short and one sided. Spartans trained to fight as part of a phalanx. Gladiators lived and died according to their ability to fight.

Comment

I'll give you a chance to settle this like gentlemen. Meet me in front of the Dunkin' Donuts in Hudson Heights, 728 West 181st St, at 8:30PM. We will have a contract renewal and a new land settlement. Confirm that you will make it to the meeting and we can discuss the particulars further.
      Are you even going to show up?

Comment

Originally posted by OJ Simpson View Post
        Are you even going to show up?
        We met in McDonald's. We struck a deal. It's classified, no further questions are allowed by civilians.

Comment

No. They could probably whip mma fighters easy to. Theirs a difference between prize fighting and fighting to live.

Comment

A fist fight depends entirely on what happens in the moment. Doesn't matter what I think. If I get caught it might be over. If he gets caught it might be over. Fights are nonlinear, anything could happen.

Edit: Back on topic, yes I think I could. When my life is threatened then you bring out the monster inside me. I'm not going to allow myself to believe that there is a situation I can't win. I take care of my body as well as my mind. If I ever face a dangerous situation, I'm prepared to do everything I have to survive.

I'm never going to look at a man and say "if we ever get into a fight there's no way I can win so I might as well let him ass **** me now."
            Last edited by DARKSEID; 10-15-2013, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              Boxing and mma would work against these guys, same as it would work against anyone else. Physiology hasn't really changed much in the last few thousand years, though modern fighters have a good chance of being physically bigger because of improvements in nutrition. An amateur would have trouble beating these professional fighters in a ruled contest but a good professional who trains full time would have a decent shout at winning.

Take away the rules however and you have a different kettle of limbs.
              You mean in a boxing fight?

Yes, a top professional, or a top amateur, boxer would defeat a professional ancient Roman gladiator in a boxing match.

A professional ancient Roman gladiator would likewise beat the boxer in a professional ancient Roman gladiator match.

In a fight in a dark ally, I think I would favor the professional ancient Roman gladiator.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Cat View Post
                You mean in a boxing fight?

Yes, a top professional, or a top amateur, boxer would defeat a professional ancient Roman gladiator in a boxing match.

A professional ancient Roman gladiator would likewise beat the boxer in a professional ancient Roman gladiator match.

In a fight in a dark ally, I think I would favor the professional ancient Roman gladiator.
                Boxing is a balance of skill and will. That's why guys like Margarito, Rios, Mayorga etc win big fights.

It could also be a matter of power in the case of George foreman and pacquiao before he met roach.

A guy who's entire life depends on surviving and faces death repeatedly would know a hell of a lot about fighting, more than any professional athlete today. I don't know how you would count them out in any type of combat sport.

I'll take the proffessional killer over the professional fighter any day
                Last edited by DARKSEID; 10-15-2013, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by - Righteous - View Post
                  Boxing is a balance of skill and will. That's why guys like Margarito, Rios, Mayorga etc win big fights.

It could also be a matter of power in the case of George foreman and pacquiao before he met roach.

A guy who's entire life depends on surviving and faces death repeatedly would know a hell of a lot about fighting, more than any professional athlete today. I don't know how you would count them out in any type of combat sport.

I'll take the proffessional killer over the professional fighter any day
                  Mayorga, Margarito, Paquioa also had a lot of training and experience in boxing. Foreman was a gold medalist.

Are you suggesting, that if you could revive a bunch of ancient Roman gladiators and train them for years how to box, they could be potentially good pugilists?

Because, you would be correct!

But, if we could revive an ancient Roman gladiator and put him straight into the ring against a top boxer, with minimal training, he would be knocked out within the first minute.

As I said though, I would favor the ancient Roman gladiator in a dark ally dust up.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Cat View Post
                    Mayorga, Margarito, Paquioa also had a lot of training and experience in boxing. Foreman was a gold medalist.

Are you suggesting, that if you could revive a bunch of ancient Roman gladiators and train them for years how to box, they could be potentially good pugilists?

Because, you would be correct!

But, if we could revive an ancient Roman gladiator and put him straight into the ring against a top boxer, with minimal training, he would be knocked out within the first minute.

As I said though, I would favor the ancient Roman gladiator in a dark ally dust up.
                    You might be right I just remembered some people don't even know how to throw a punch.

Comment

We met in McDonald's. We struck a deal. It's classified, no further questions are allowed by civilians.
                      Struck a deal, eh?

Who sucked off who, and how much was the price?

Comment

Working...
                      X