Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, study finds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
    And on slavery, too.

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." - Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT
    Are we going to do the bit where God commands the Israelites to keep all the conquered virgin girls as concubines but slaughter everyone else? That's my favourite because Enayze insists that it's much kinder to keep unwed girls as sex slaves after you murdered their entire family.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      So then you are a man of science and against religion. Because that's what you just described.
      i've already told you more than 100 times that i don't belong to any religion, and yes I am against the type of religion you're referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        Are we going to do the bit where God commands the Israelites to keep all the conquered virgin girls as concubines but slaughter everyone else? That's my favourite because Enayze insists that it's much kinder to keep unwed girls as sex slaves after you murdered their entire family.
        Yo is that really in the bible? If it is, give me the verse it's from.. I've got to show some people it..

Comment

And on slavery, too.

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." - Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT

Who gives a ****'s rash what the bible says? It'd be a fucking stupid holy book that said "Yeah, this is a bunch of bunk".

Its nice that you both know how to read, next lesson is putting verses into context.

In addition, why list the Leviticus verses? Why don't you mention the fact that the whole world of millions possibly billions of people were wiped out by a flood, all but Noah and his family? And did you forget about Sodom and Gomorah? I think mentioning those things might suit your agenda a little better no?
          Last edited by Enayze; 08-13-2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

The true enemy of knowledge is being a total fucking idiot like you.

IQ tests?

Who gives a ****'s rash what the bible says? It'd be a fucking stupid holy book that said "Yeah, this is a bunch of bunk".
            Calm down squeely, it's nothing to get mad over lol

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
              Its nice that you both know how to read, next lesson is putting verses into context.

In addition, why list the Leviticus verses? Why don't you mention the fact that the whole world of millions possibly billions of people were wiped out by a flood, all but Noah and his family? And did you forget about Sodom and Gomorah? I think mentioning those things might suit your agenda a little better no?
              Just saying, Broseph. The bible says a lot of things. Things which were added through the centuries by which ever authority was in power (at the time) in order to cater to their own agenda. There are valuable lessons told through stories in the book, but that's what they are. They're stories. Stories shaped and molded time and time again through different translations and interpretations.

Comment

Just saying, Broseph. The bible says a lot of things. Things which were added through the centuries by which ever authority was in power (at the time) in order to cater to their own agenda. There are valuable lessons told through stories in the book, but that's what they are. They're stories. Stories shaped and molded time and time again through different translations and interpretations.
                Theres also a story about this man Jesus Christ, I suggest you read it, its the most important one.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                  Theres also a story about this man Jesus Christ, I suggest you read it, its the most important one.
                  I have. I'm not arguing the validity of his existence. What I will question, just based on pure natural skepticism and my understanding of the physics of this tanglible, physical world, are the supernatural claims made in the bible in regards to this man. I'm not completely disregarding the possibility, but to believe in the legend is to believe completely in faith.

Comment

In my experience, more educated and higher IQ people have a tendency to need scientific findings to trust an idea. In other words, they require proof, something that religion, spirituality does not provide.

Educated people are also less likely to be spiritual, but is it because of intelligence, or influence from the education system which is highly secular?

To generalize believers/non-believers without considering the numerous environmental influences but only looking into IQ/education levels is, well cherry-picking at best.

Comment

I have. I'm not arguing the validity of his existence. What I will question, just based on pure natural skepticism and my understanding of the physics of this tanglible, physical world, are the supernatural claims made in the bible in regards to this man. I'm not completely disregarding the possibility, but to believe in the legend is to believe completely in faith.
                      Agreed, there's a lot of supernatural that just can't be explained in the bible. Water to wine? Loaf of bread and some fish to feed dozens of people? Parting the Red Sea? Angels? COME ON..

I do believe Jesus existed as a human being, but as far as his mother being a virgin? Yeah right.

Comment

Working...
                      X