Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarantino, Anderson, Fincher, or Nolan???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would also like to include Michael Mann to the list

Heat
    The Insider
    Collateral
    Ali
    Manhunter

Comment

Heat
      The Insider
      Collateral
      Ali
      Manhunter

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post

Heat
        The Insider
        Collateral
        Ali
        Manhunter
        Yeah Michael Mann is good. I enjoyed Public Enemies too.

Bennett Miller is good too. Capote and Moneyball were both very good.

Comment

Agree that Michael Mann should be added to the list. Don't forget Last of the Mohicans.

Two directors we'll all be talking about soon are Nicholas Winding Refn (Drive, Bronson) and Steve McQueen (Shame, Hunger).

Their two next films are at the top of my "most excited for" list. Only God Forgives, a crime thriller set in Bangkok, and Twelve Years a Slave (title self explanatory) which has an unbelievable cast including Mike Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Paul Giamatti, Ben Cumberbatch and Paul Dano

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
            Agree that Michael Mann should be added to the list. Don't forget Last of the Mohicans.

Two directors we'll all be talking about soon are Nicholas Winding Refn (Drive, Bronson) and Steve McQueen (Shame, Hunger).

Their two next films are at the top of my "most excited for" list. Only God Forgives, a crime thriller set in Bangkok, and Twelve Years a Slave (title self explanatory) which has an unbelievable cast including Mike Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Paul Giamatti, Ben Cumberbatch and Paul Dano
            Check out Derek Cinfrance (Blue Valentine and his upcoming films The Place Beyond the Pines). Agree on Mcqueen, he has Twelve Years a Slave coming out this year. Also an independent film maker Ryan Coogler has his debut film Fruitvale coming out this year. It's gotten great reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              Check out Derek Cinfrance (Blue Valentine and his upcoming films The Place Beyond the Pines). Agree on Mcqueen, he has Twelve Years a Slave coming out this year. Also an independent film maker Ryan Coogler has his debut film Fruitvale coming out this year. It's gotten great reviews.
              Yeah looking forward to Place Beyond the Pines. Hadn't heard of Coogler but Fruitvale sounds interesting

Comment

i can't believe Clint Eastwood is not included here, he's probably the best actor director we have

Comment

Tarantino. That's a lot of my favorite movies right there, and he came back really strong with Django Unchained.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                    Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 1 and 2 aren't all that. But still i'd put Tarantino second after Nolan.
                    You're crazy, Jackie Brown is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                      I got Tarantino, based on the strength of 2 90's classics (Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs), 2 other really good films (Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained), and another good/solid film (Jackie Brown). Death Proof was weak, and I didn't find Kill Bill 1 that good, but the 2nd was good in my opinion, better than the first.

Second I got Anderson. There Will Be Blood is a modern classic, it'll get even more recognition years from now. Than Magnolia, The Master, and Boogie Nights were all really really good films. Than Hard Eight and Punch-Drunk Love are solid. Tarantino edges him though on the strength of his first two films.

Third I got Nolan, the guy is just the epitome of consistency. No "classics" yet, but all really good or solid films. Memento, Inception, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, all really good films. Insomnia, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight Rises were also solid/good films. He just doesn't have that modern classic that Tarantino has two of, and that Anderson made in 07'.

Fourth but still good in Fincher. One could argue Fight Club and Seven were classics of their genre as well. Some may not. Either way, both were really really good. He also has The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which was really good. Than The Social Network, Benjamin Button were both good films too. I wasn't feeling Panic Room or Zodiac that much, though I could watch them. But what drops him is Alien 3 his debut, which was crappy.
                      Alien 3 wasn't his fault though. You won't find anyone that hates that movie more than Fincher himself, because of studio meddling. He wasn't allowed to make the movie he wanted.

Comment

Working...
                      X