Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarantino, Anderson, Fincher, or Nolan???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarantino whoops all their asses,The Dark Knight Rises is meh

Comment

I got Tarantino, based on the strength of 2 90's classics (Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs), 2 other really good films (Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained), and another good/solid film (Jackie Brown). Death Proof was weak, and I didn't find Kill Bill 1 that good, but the 2nd was good in my opinion, better than the first.

Second I got Anderson. There Will Be Blood is a modern classic, it'll get even more recognition years from now. Than Magnolia, The Master, and Boogie Nights were all really really good films. Than Hard Eight and Punch-Drunk Love are solid. Tarantino edges him though on the strength of his first two films.

Third I got Nolan, the guy is just the epitome of consistency. No "classics" yet, but all really good or solid films. Memento, Inception, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, all really good films. Insomnia, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight Rises were also solid/good films. He just doesn't have that modern classic that Tarantino has two of, and that Anderson made in 07'.

Fourth but still good in Fincher. One could argue Fight Club and Seven were classics of their genre as well. Some may not. Either way, both were really really good. He also has The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which was really good. Than The Social Network, Benjamin Button were both good films too. I wasn't feeling Panic Room or Zodiac that much, though I could watch them. But what drops him is Alien 3 his debut, which was crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        I got Tarantino, based on the strength of 2 90's classics (Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs), 2 other really good films (Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained), and another good/solid film (Jackie Brown). Death Proof was weak, and I didn't find Kill Bill 1 that good, but the 2nd was good in my opinion, better than the first.

Second I got Anderson. There Will Be Blood is a modern classic, it'll get even more recognition years from now. Than Magnolia, The Master, and Boogie Nights were all really really good films. Than Hard Eight and Punch-Drunk Love are solid. Tarantino edges him though on the strength of his first two films.

Third I got Nolan, the guy is just the epitome of consistency. No "classics" yet, but all really good or solid films. Memento, Inception, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, all really good films. Insomnia, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight Rises were also solid/good films. He just doesn't have that modern classic that Tarantino has two of, and that Anderson made in 07'.

Fourth but still good in Fincher. One could argue Fight Club and Seven were classics of their genre as well. Some may not. Either way, both were really really good. He also has The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which was really good. Than The Social Network, Benjamin Button were both good films too. I wasn't feeling Panic Room or Zodiac that much, though I could watch them. But what drops him is Alien 3 his debut, which was crappy.
        Whole heartedly disagree with Anderson as your 2nd pick. There will be blood wasn't even good on a "movie snob" level. The movie was very well acted, but took us nowhere, and brought absolutely nothing to the table. Boogie Nights was the epitome of a "good" movie, but nothing more and nothing less. The other ones I haven't seen. Nothing about his resume blows me away what so ever. You have to mix in the main stream appeal, entertainment factor, quality of work, and overall delivery on his work.

Anderson doesn't cut it compared to the rest.

Inglorious Bastards was highly over rated. Leonardo Dicaprio, and Christopher Schultz saved Django Unchained for me. Otherwise a pretty bland movie. I definitely appreciate what both movies brought to the table, but solely as movies, not classics. Jackie Brown was another movie that didn't really deliver.

I'd even be tempted to put Fincher over Tarantino, but you can't put him over the man that made Pulp Fiction, and Reservoir Dogs.

Nolan
        Tarantino
        Fincher
        Anderson
        Last edited by Scarcaztic; 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I love them all but its between PTA and Tarantino for me. Out of them I would pick Tarantino, he has the best potential for making an amazing movie.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
            Whole heartedly disagree with Anderson as your 2nd pick. There will be blood wasn't even good on a "movie snob" level. The movie was very well acted, but took us nowhere, and brought absolutely nothing to the table. Boogie Nights was the epitome of a "good" movie, but nothing more and nothing less. The other ones I haven't seen. Nothing about his resume blows me away what so ever. You have to mix in the main stream appeal, entertainment factor, quality of work, and overall delivery on his work.

Anderson doesn't cut it compared to the rest.

Inglorious Bastards was highly over rated. Leonardo Dicaprio, and Christopher Schultz saved Django Unchained for me. Otherwise a pretty bland movie. I definitely appreciate what both movies brought to the table, but solely as movies, not classics. Jackie Brown was another movie that didn't really deliver.

I'd even be tempted to put Fincher over Tarantino, but you can't put him over the man that made Pulp Fiction, and Reservoir Dogs.

Nolan
            Tarantino
            Fincher
            Anderson
            There Will Be Blood was amazing, but just my opinion. Same opinion as many who rated it one of the 10 best films of the entire decade. Same with The Master and Magnolia, very good films. Nolan is consistent but he hasn't made his Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club/Seven, or There Will Be Blood yet. Though Nolan gets dogged at the Oscars, he deserved a director nomination for Inception, and The Prestige and The Dark Knight were snubbed at the Oscars (with the exception of Ledgers Supporting Actor Oscar).

Fincher is good, but he's too inconsistent. He's made great films like Seven, Fight Club, and good films like Girl With the Dragon Tattoo/Social Network....but he's missed with Alien 3, Panic Room, and Zodiac. Quentin's missed with Death Proof and I wasn't fond of Kill Bill 1, but he's made an independent classic in Reservoir Dogs and another classic in Pulp Fiction that make up for it. Kill Bill 2 was far superior to the first in my view, better dialogue, and Jackie Brown gets dogged because it came after his two greatest films/classics. Jackie Brown was solid in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              There Will Be Blood was amazing, but just my opinion. Same opinion as many who rated it one of the 10 best films of the entire decade. Same with The Master and Magnolia, very good films. Nolan is consistent but he hasn't made his Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club/Seven, or There Will Be Blood yet. Though Nolan gets dogged at the Oscars, he deserved a director nomination for Inception, and The Prestige and The Dark Knight were snubbed at the Oscars (with the exception of Ledgers Supporting Actor Oscar).

Fincher is good, but he's too inconsistent. He's made great films like Seven, Fight Club, and good films like Girl With the Dragon Tattoo/Social Network....but he's missed with Alien 3, Panic Room, and Zodiac. Quentin's missed with Death Proof and I wasn't fond of Kill Bill 1, but he's made an independent classic in Reservoir Dogs and another classic in Pulp Fiction that make up for it. Kill Bill 2 was far superior to the first in my view, better dialogue, and Jackie Brown gets dogged because it came after his two greatest films/classics. Jackie Brown was solid in my opinion.
              There will be blood is #171 on IMDB's top 250 list. I don't remember anyone saying it was a top 10 film of the decade. I bought the movie on Blu-Ray, and wanted to kill the director for making me pay $22 for it.

I think Nolan's "Pulp Fiction" is Dark Knight. The movies you mentioned such as Fight Club, Seven, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs are popular because they're cult classics, and did very well at the box office. So what does that make Dark Knight?

I agree that you could put Tarantino as #1, based off Pulp Fiction, but in no way, shape or form is Anderson above Nolan. I'm sorry, he just isn't.

Also. You mentioned There Will be Blood in the categories of Fight Club, Seven, Pulp Fiction, Dark Knight. I don't see that, at all.

I agree with this guy on There Will Be Blood,

I honestly think this is one of those movies that one person says is brilliant for some pseudo-sophisticated reason and the rest of the pseudo-intellectual crowd follows along for fear of being seen as unsophisticated.

It sucked and anyone who liked it probably also is the kind of person that says "linux is better than all of them" smugly in a Mac vs. PC debate.
              That's exactly how I feel about that movie.
              Last edited by Scarcaztic; 03-17-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I Google'd "There will be blood sucked", and this is the 2nd link. First link was Sherdog (MMA SITE). LOL.

http://islandmusic.blogspot.com/2008...ood-sucks.html

Roger Ebert: ***"There Will Be Blood" is the kind of film that is easily called great. I am not sure of its greatness. It was filmed in the same area of Texas used by "No Country for Old Men," and that is a great film, and a perfect one. But "There Will Be Blood" is not perfect, and in its imperfections (its unbending characters, its lack of women or any reflection of ordinary society, its ending, its relentlessness) we may see its reach exceeding its grasp. Which is not a dishonorable thing."***

Typed in "There will be blood overrated". First link.

http://patterico.com/2008/02/22/ther...-the-deep-end/
                Last edited by Scarcaztic; 03-17-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Nolan directed some of the most popular films recently but in terms of craft, originality & technical prowess he's behind with rest

for me:

Tarantino
                  Anderson
                  Fincher
                  Nolan

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
                    Nolan directed some of the most popular films recently but in terms of craft, originality & technical prowess he's behind with rest

for me:

Tarantino
                    Anderson
                    Fincher
                    Nolan
                    How is The Prestige, Inception, Memento not crafty, original, or technical? I personally think they rank the highest, if you're going with that criteria.

Comment

Scorsese
                      Nolan
                      The rest of the field

http://cucumberstastebetterpickled.t...among-the-best

Comment

Working...
                      X