Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarantino, Anderson, Fincher, or Nolan???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memento is more original than pulp fiction and resevoir dogs. (tarantino is pretty well known to copying some idea)
    but a lot of directors do a lot of copying too

memento and prestige is the only nolan i really dig.

you have to admit nolan kinda gets overrated a lot.

paul thomas is probably the least known in the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
      How is The Prestige, Inception, Memento not crafty, original, or technical? I personally think they rank the highest, if you're going with that criteria.

im not saying Nolan is unoriginal or anything, nor critizicing him...in fact i enjoy most of his movies better than PTA

but as a director, Fincher is more visually expressive than him...PTA brings more diverse characters & QT a better storyteller

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
        im not saying Nolan is unoriginal or anything, nor critizicing him...in fact i enjoy most of his movies better than PTA

but as a director, Fincher is more visually expressive than him...PTA brings more diverse characters & QT a better storyteller
        I get where you're coming from, and I respect your observations. I just prefer Nolan's style over the others, except Tarantino.

PTA is probably a better story teller, just not my style.

We're both right, at the end of the day, it's just what you prefer.

Comment

There will be blood is #171 on IMDB's top 250 list. I don't remember anyone saying it was a top 10 film of the decade. I bought the movie on Blu-Ray, and wanted to kill the director for making me pay $22 for it.

I think Nolan's "Pulp Fiction" is Dark Knight. The movies you mentioned such as Fight Club, Seven, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs are popular because they're cult classics, and did very well at the box office. So what does that make Dark Knight?

I agree that you could put Tarantino as #1, based off Pulp Fiction, but in no way, shape or form is Anderson above Nolan. I'm sorry, he just isn't.

Also. You mentioned There Will be Blood in the categories of Fight Club, Seven, Pulp Fiction, Dark Knight. I don't see that, at all.

I agree with this guy on There Will Be Blood,

That's exactly how I feel about that movie.
          Just wiki There Will Be Blood and look at the best of decade section....

Rolling Stone, Chicago Tribune, and Entertainment Weekly had it #1 for the decade.....while 20 different critics had it #1 for 2007.

From the American Film Institute - " There Will Be Blood is bravura film-making by one of American film's modern masters. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic poem of savagery, optimism and obsession is a true meditation on America. The film drills down into the dark heart of capitalism, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate goal. In a career defined by transcendent performances, Daniel Day-Lewis creates a character so rich and so towering, that "Daniel Plainview" will haunt the history of film for generations to come "

It had it's fair share of accolades, it was 91% fresh reviews, which is universal acclaim.

I just dig Anderson's style, but I can't rate any of these guys with Scorsese or Kubrick yet.

But I like all these guys....I also like Kathryn Bigelow, Ben Affleck, and David O Russell too.

The Dark Knight was great, but I don't know if it's a classic. For the comic book genre, it's the GOAT though.
          Last edited by 4Corners; 03-18-2013, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Just wiki There Will Be Blood and look at the best of decade section....

Rolling Stone, Chicago Tribune, and Entertainment Weekly had it #1 for the decade.....while 20 different critics had it #1 for 2007.

From the American Film Institute - " There Will Be Blood is bravura film-making by one of American film's modern masters. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic poem of savagery, optimism and obsession is a true meditation on America. The film drills down into the dark heart of capitalism, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate goal. In a career defined by transcendent performances, Daniel Day-Lewis creates a character so rich and so towering, that "Daniel Plainview" will haunt the history of film for generations to come "

It had it's fair share of accolades, it was 91% fresh reviews, which is universal acclaim.

I just dig Anderson's style, but I can't rate any of these guys with Scorsese or Kubrick yet.

But I like all these guys....I also like Kathryn Bigelow, Ben Affleck, and David O Russell too.

The Dark Knight was great, but I don't know if it's a classic. For the comic book genre, it's the GOAT though.
            Agree. No one touches Scorsese or Kubrick. Totally forgot about Affleck. He hasn't made a single bad movie, besides maybe Gigli (I think he directed that).

I'm not saying Anderson's some bum, but I just prefer Nolan. In the end, there really is no criteria for who's the best, since it has to touch our own specific emotions, and tastes.

If you really break it down, neither are REALLY better than the other.

But yeah, no one touches Scorsese or Kubrick. Agreed.

Comment

Agree. No one touches Scorsese or Kubrick. Totally forgot about Affleck. He hasn't made a single bad movie, besides maybe Gigli (I think he directed that).

I'm not saying Anderson's some bum, but I just prefer Nolan. In the end, there really is no criteria for who's the best, since it has to touch our own specific emotions, and tastes.

If you really break it down, neither are REALLY better than the other.

But yeah, no one touches Scorsese or Kubrick. Agreed.
              Spielberg is up there too, he should just be more picky about what he does. I mean he has some great films, but he has some really weak ones too.

Affleck's only directed 3 but they've all been good. Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo.

Comment

Spielberg is up there too, he should just be more picky about what he does. I mean he has some great films, but he has some really weak ones too.

Affleck's only directed 3 but they've all been good. Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo.
                Yeah.

E.T.
                Poltergeist
                The Goonies
                Back to the Future
                The color purple
                Empire of the Sun
                Schindler's list
                Men In Black
                Amistad
                Saving Private Ryan
                Jurrasic Park
                Catch Me If You Can (One of my personal all time favorites)
                Transformers
                True Grit

The man's resume speaks for itself. I was shocked at his IMDB page. I forgot he directed half those movies. Legend status.

Affleck has a very bright future.

Comment

Yeah.

E.T.
                  Poltergeist
                  The Goonies
                  Back to the Future
                  The color purple
                  Empire of the Sun
                  Schindler's list
                  Men In Black
                  Amistad
                  Saving Private Ryan
                  Jurrasic Park
                  Catch Me If You Can (One of my personal all time favorites)
                  Transformers
                  True Grit

The man's resume speaks for itself. I was shocked at his IMDB page. I forgot he directed half those movies. Legend status.

Affleck has a very bright future.
                  He didn't direct some of those. He was producer on those. That's his producer list.

He's done Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters of a Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Color Purple, Schindlers List, Amistad, Jurrasic Park, Saving Private Ryan, AI, Minority Report, Munich, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War Horse, Lincoln. He's great.....but if you check his list, he's done some stinkers too.

Also the Coen Brothers are amazing, I prefer them to any listed here, but they came around in the 80's. Raising Arizona, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brothers Where Art Thou, No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading, True Grit. They are the bomb.

Comment

He didn't direct some of those. He was producer on those. That's his producer list.

He's done Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters of a Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Color Purple, Schindlers List, Amistad, Jurrasic Park, Saving Private Ryan, AI, Minority Report, Munich, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War Horse, Lincoln. He's great.....but if you check his list, he's done some stinkers too.

Also the Coen Brothers are amazing, I prefer them to any listed here, but they came around in the 80's. Raising Arizona, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brothers Where Art Thou, No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading, True Grit. They are the bomb.
                    Yeah, I saw some of them said (producer) next to the movie title, but just added it anyways.

How the hell did I forget Jaws. One of the greatest "horror" films of all time. If you want to call it that.

Agree, Coen Brothers have made some cult classics. I've seen everyone of their movies, and have never been disappointed. Master directors.

Comment

alexander payne is good too

Election (1999)
                      About Schmidt (2002)
                      Sideways (2004)
                      The Descendants (2011)

Comment

Working...
                      X