No announcement yet.

Atheist pwns a couple of ******s on Faux News

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
    No matter what the guy says catholics, mormans, and jehovahs witnesses are always at every major disaster helping everybody they can. Havent seen any richard dawkins followers showing up at hurricane season or when tsunamis hit. So Helping hands usually are praying lips.
    Are you trying to say atheists dont help?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      You made a good point about how religion has evolved with mankind. I think this is true to a certain extent and the reason so many religions have come and gone.

The biggest misconception is that the world of god is eternal, well books like the Bible, Quran and Torah are not eternal because they cannot keep up with science. Science is literally growing exponentially, and so therefore a lot of the morals and teaching in those holy books are falling by the waist side.

I do think religion can bring comfort, even morality but in the end Atheists should take a more intelligent and humble approach to these things to get their point across, not come of as arrogant and obnoxious.
      Its not a misconception, its the basic catholic belief

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Are you trying to say atheists dont help?
        Im saying christians help much much more. And that his words were either ill informed or just biased towards his belief in nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          You made a good point about how religion has evolved with mankind. I think this is true to a certain extent and the reason so many religions have come and gone.

The biggest misconception is that the world of god is eternal, well books like the Bible, Quran and Torah are not eternal because they cannot keep up with science. Science is literally growing exponentially, and so therefore a lot of the morals and teaching in those holy books are falling by the waist side.

I do think religion can bring comfort, even morality but in the end Atheists should take a more intelligent and humble approach to these things to get their point across, not come of as arrogant and obnoxious.
          When Bringer said earlier that he believes all people that are part of the religion are part of a bigger problem, and thats why he is so hostile towards religion, it made sense to me. Yet all i ever see from atheists when discussing religion is mockery and insults.
          I think its counter-productive to ay the least. It only makes the religious fanatics bury their heads deeper in the sand, and portrays atheism is having more arrogance than sense. Attacking them only makes them more defensive. I see it them same as trying to get knots out of a ball of string. Being all aggressive only makes the knots tighter. Promoting science and reason is better than just attacking religion. If they think atheists are assholes, why would they want to be one?

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
            I remember seeing this video some time ago, and commenting that the atheist came across just as the religious antagonists. The question may appear dumb, but it does seem many religious people dont understand atheism, and see it as anti-religion, which for most, it isnt. He could have answered the questions calmly and if they interrupted, simply of asked if he could finish his point. This way, he not only advertises atheism as civil and reasoned, but also highlights how rude the news anchors were being.

Plus i cant stand the 'invisible man in the sky' thing. It makes atheists look dumb. God obviously isnt an invisible man in the sky. Its the same as a creationist saying, 'evolutionists believe a monkey gave birth to a man'. If atheists are concerned with intelligence and truth, why purposefully distort the truth of religious belief? Its a juvenile tactic.

I agree with this. Religion can be accused of many things, and some aspects are downright immoral, even evil, but the trouble is, on a personal level, religion has evolved with humanity, and prayer does help people an awful lot everyday. It can strengthen peoples resolve, encourage positivity and give them hope. So i dont think God is only for the weak minded and stupid. Didnt Newton believe in God? (can'o'worms)
            So hes not portrayed as an invisible man in the sky? What is he then a disembodied voice in the sky?

Comment

When Bringer said earlier that he believes all people that are part of the religion are part of a bigger problem, and thats why he is so hostile towards religion, it made sense to me. Yet all i ever see from atheists when discussing religion is mockery and insults.
              I think its counter-productive to ay the least. It only makes the religious fanatics bury their heads deeper in the sand, and portrays atheism is having more arrogance than sense. Attacking them only makes them more defensive. I see it them same as trying to get knots out of a ball of string. Being all aggressive only makes the knots tighter. Promoting science and reason is better than just attacking religion. If they think atheists are assholes, why would they want to be one?
              I find South Park to be good at calling peoples bull**** and they called dawkins out on his being an *******. Most athiests online try to imitate him. In person theyre pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by CeeMCee View Post
                So hes not portrayed as an invisible man in the sky? What is he then a disembodied voice in the sky?
                God is defined (depending on the religion) as a supernatural deity, that is everywhere and beyond the limits of space and time.

Not a man, and not in the sky. Or as some say 'lives on a cloud'. Its a caricature intended to annoy people. Childish.

Comment

I remember seeing this video some time ago, and commenting that the atheist came across just as the religious antagonists. The question may appear dumb, but it does seem many religious people dont understand atheism, and see it as anti-religion, which for most, it isnt. He could have answered the questions calmly and if they interrupted, simply of asked if he could finish his point. This way, he not only advertises atheism as civil and reasoned, but also highlights how rude the news anchors were being.

Plus i cant stand the 'invisible man in the sky' thing. It makes atheists look dumb. God obviously isnt an invisible man in the sky. Its the same as a creationist saying, 'evolutionists believe a monkey gave birth to a man'. If atheists are concerned with intelligence and truth, why purposefully distort the truth of religious belief? Its a juvenile tactic.
                  The question doesn't "appear" dumb, it actually is dumb. Infact, the entire basis of getting an atheist to appear on the show to answer such a ridiculous question suggests that the anchors (and the network) view atheists as some bizarre/otherworldly oddity whose way of life is a curiosity to them that demands justification or explanation.

"How can you live your life without an imaginary best friend to fall back on when life gets difficult!?!"

It's absurd.

Theoretically speaking, yes - Silverman could have played it safe and attempted to answer the question calmly and as politely as possible, but again, the question itself is a ****ing insult, and in doing so he would've been putting himself at risk of being yelled at, shouted over, and cut off altogether like the hundreds of other guests of opposing views on Fox News have been over the years.

John Kasich, Sean Hannity, Megan Kelly, Bill O'Reilly, Michelle Malkin, John Gibson, Martha McCallum - The list of volatile news anchors (especially in regards to atheists) who are working or have worked at Fox is literally in the dozens.

As for the invisible man in the sky argument, you can twist it however you want but that is, essentially, what all Christians believe. That God created man in his image (and had a son!), therefore God is physically similar to mankind.

The idea of atheists being able to "rise above" the childish antics of condescending Christians (who lay claim to moral authority and existential superiority, no less) is an experiment that we atheists have attempted for an endless amount of years. It got us nowhere.

Comment

God is defined (depending on the religion) as a supernatural deity, that is everywhere and beyond the limits of space and time.

Not a man, and not in the sky. Or as some say 'lives on a cloud'. Its a caricature intended to annoy people. Childish.
                    There are several instances where its stated God spoke down, where do you think he is speaking down from a ladder? and if he made man in his image then hes pretty much a man, who just happens to have magical powers.
                    a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, “This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!
                    Last edited by A.K.A; 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Gotta dip for a while, keep the discussion going, gents. I'm looking forward to catching up on the debate later tonight.

Comment

Working...
                      X