No announcement yet.

The final US Presidential debate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vilicious86 View Post
    Unless you were living under a rock for the past year-and-a-half, you'd know that Obama has been pushing those policies already. He just summarized them to remind folks right before the election of what he wants to do. You know people have short attention spans.
    I also find it odd when people question Obama's plans but ignore that Romney hasn't come up with one yet. At least not a factual one that he can explain.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Romney has flat out dodged question that the moderator asked him. Why don't you just cut to the chase and admit you're biased towards Romney.
      I hate to shatter your illusion about Obama joseph but at this level all politicians are well prepared and practice for the debates. When the media plans these debates they give both people all the information ahead of time about what topics they're covering, there are no surprises which is why they both look polished answering most questions. They already practiced the answers. I am not impressed by any high level politician at structured and pre planned debates because it becomes a pissing contest to pander to the public. If people want to see how these politicians really react we would need to see them off camera but that'll never happen because your precious Obama or the republicans special mitt would be show to be selfish liars with interests in only furthering their own agenda rather than helping the people. But hey I'd rather this self serving form of democracy than totalitarianism so I can't complain too much.

Comment

The huffington post averages out all of the polls and this is where it stands. Using one poll as the sole example doesn't really cut it.

259 Obama 206 Romney

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/...ectoral-map?hw

Version two says that the first debate made only a small difference. If we average the polls conducted by YouGov, Rasmussen and ABC/Washington Post, then the debate shifted the nationwide vote shares by just a single point: from an Obama lead beforehand of 2% to an Obama lead of 1% afterwards. The figures have stuck close to that ever since. (YouGov's latest survey, completed this Monday, shows Obama 2% ahead.)

Movements in polls in the key states sit nearer version two than version one. If we average their findings then Florida tipped from Obama to Romney after the first debate, but Obama remained ahead in other key states - notably Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Nevada and New Mexico. Obama narrowly led in Virginia and Colorado before the first debate; afterwards, they were too close to call. On these figures, Obama would still win the electoral college, even if Romney won Virginia and Colorado.

Obama has a much shorter path to the 270 electoral votes right now.
        I've been following that Huffingtonpost poll almost daily and although if you click on your link it will say updated today as always...it has not seemed to change since before the 1st debate...I can't put a lot of credence in it for that reason...every media source today is calling it a virtual neck and neck contest yet Huffington has it all but won for Obama...I don't buy it and I'm convinced there polls are outdated.

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
        I think you're mixing two different events ..... for example:

I state that polls are useless because they only target a very small percentage of the population, and in most cases a specific target group. These are polls that I'm referring to in this section.

Election nite results are completely different, because it is based on regional population and counted votes. Which, once a certain percentage of that population or region has voted, then by mathematical probability, there isn't enough votes remaining to undermine what ever advantage a candidate has.
        *This is more accurate and more definitive than what can be polled prior to actual election nite results.*

Election nite results are completely different, because it is based on regional population and counted vote

NO...they are exit polls...they ask voters how they voted after they have done so.

The parties spend quite a bit of money subscribing to the services of the pollsters...it is actually a science and i doubt they would do so if they thought it was useless...they are in fact very useful. The polls I posted in my initial post at the top (you will need to click on it to enlarge if you want to be able to see it) are 3 recognized reliable sources which are not from networks...and so have nothing to do with media ratings as you suggested...btw.

We will just have to wait and see in 2 weeks. I really have no horse in this race...although I have a keen interest and think I am making a pretty impartial analysis as it draws to an end.
        Last edited by jaded; 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaded View Post
          I've been following that Huffingtonpost poll almost daily and although if you click on your link it will say updated today as always...it has not seemed to change since before the 1st debate...I can't put a lot of credence in it for that reason.

Election nite results are completely different, because it is based on regional population and counted vote

NO...they are exit polls...they ask voters how they voted after they have done so.

The parties spend quite a bit of money subscribing to the services of the pollsters...it is actually a science and i doubt they would do so if they thought it was useless...they are in fact very useful. The polls I posted in my initial post at the top (you will need to click on it to enlarge if you want to be able to see it) are 3 recognized reliable sources which are not from networks...and so have nothing to do with media ratings as you suggested...btw.

We will just have to wait and see in 2 weeks. I really have no horse in this race...although I have a keen interest and think I am making a pretty impartial analysis as it draws to an end.
          I think we're still missing the mark and talking about two different processes.

I'm referring to election nite results, as the votes are tallied and reported. These are actual results that cannot be changed.

While you're referring to polls and or exit polls, such as those performed by Edison research, which does the exit polling for most, if not all major elections. In this case you are correct, that is how its done. But still this method is inaccurate, because people can and do lie about who they voted for.

When media outlets announce an election nite winner for the state of XYZ, I don't think they're using exit polls, because that would involve too much risk when and if they are incorrect.

Comment

• Originally posted by arraamis View Post
            I think we're still missing the mark and talking about two different processes.

I'm referring to election nite results, as the votes are tallied and reported. These are actual results that cannot be changed.

While you're referring to polls and or exit polls, such as those performed by Edison research, which does the exit polling for most, if not all major elections. In this case you are correct, that is how its done. But still this method is inaccurate, because people can and do lie about who they voted for.

When media outlets announce an election nite winner for the state of XYZ, I don't think they're using exit polls, because that would involve too much risk when and if they are incorrect.
            No...that is exactly how it's done...and has been for decades in many countries and is spot on.
            http://www.ehow.com/about_5093146_exit-polling.html

Comment

I've been following that Huffingtonpost poll almost daily and although if you click on your link it will say updated today as always...it has not seemed to change since before the 1st debate...I can't put a lot of credence in it for that reason...every media source today is calling it a virtual neck and neck contest yet Huffington has it a landslide win for Obama...I don't buy it and I'm convinced there polls are outdated.

Huffington post is tracking all of the polls combined daily. It's not a Huffington Post poll by itself. Claiming that it hasn't changed is not true at all. Here is a list of the latest polls used for the Huffington post. The dates indicate they are recent in no way the same as the polls from the first debate.

Also, the election is neck and neck in terms of the popular vote which the Huffington post indicates. But Obama has a clear lead on the electoral college map which is going to decide the election.

Latest Polls

Ipsos/Reuters (Web)NEW!

10/19 - 10/23

1,030 LV

-

Obama +1

PPP (D-Americans United for Change)NEW!

10/20 - 10/22

1,200 LV

Romney +2

RasmussenNEW!

10/20 - 10/22

1,500 LV

Romney +4

YouGov/EconomistNEW!

10/20 - 10/22

803 LV

Obama +2

ABC/PostNEW!

10/19 - 10/22

1,382 LV

-

Romney +1

IBD/TIPPNEW!

10/17 - 10/22

875 LV

Obama +2

UPI/CVOTERNEW!

10/16 - 10/22

1,162 LV

-

-

GallupNEW!

10/16 - 10/22

2,700 LV

-

Romney +5

ARG

10/18 - 10/21

1,200 LV

Romney +2

Democracy Corps (D)

10/18 - 10/21

1,000 LV

Obama +3
              Last edited by joseph5620; 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• Forget all these polls ... the main thing to watch is FRAUD!!!

The Republican Party is doubling down on efforts to disenfranchise Democratic Party supporters throughout Virginia, among other states in the final weeks before the November 6, 2012 election.

Last week, Colin Small, was arrested in Harrisonburg, Virginia and charged with attempting to destroy voter registration forms when he was spotted throwing forms in a dumpster behind a shopping center. Small was hired by Pinpoint, a subsidiary of Strategic Allied Consulting, the embattled firm that was hired by the Republican National Committee to conduct voter registrations efforts in a number of battleground states. The RNC “fired” Strategic after allegations of voter fraud surfaced in Florida, but their employees are still active, now under the supervision of the state Republican committees. Strategic is headed by Nathan Sprouls, who was hired by the Romney campaign as a consultant for $70,000, and has been linked to efforts to destroy Democratic registrations in 2004, 2006, and 2008.

Virginia congressmen Jim Moran, Bobby Scott, and Gerry Connolly sent a letter to the Department of Justice requesting investigations into the actions of Strategic Allied Consulting and Pinpoint after the Commonwealth of Virginia refused to launch such an investigation. Ken Cuccinelli, Virginia’s Republican Attorney General and 2013 gubernatorial candidate, stated that he cannot investigate the allegations of voter fraud without a request from the state’s Board of Elections, also Republican-controlled.

Now a new scam effort is emerging. Several residents in Virginia and Florida, among other states, have received phone calls where the callers tell them a new law allows them to vote by phone, though no such law exists. The calls have particularly targeted African Americans, Spanish-speaking and elderly voters, all traditionally Democratic supporters.

Virginia is an important battleground state in the presidential race with 13 electoral votes, and has been leaning towards Obama in recent polls, though the race has tightened more recently. The senatorial race between Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican George Allen is also close.

http://www.examiner.com/article/repu...mpant-virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                  Forget all these polls ... the main thing to watch is FRAUD!!!

The Republican Party is doubling down on efforts to disenfranchise Democratic Party supporters throughout Virginia, among other states in the final weeks before the November 6, 2012 election.

Last week, Colin Small, was arrested in Harrisonburg, Virginia and charged with attempting to destroy voter registration forms when he was spotted throwing forms in a dumpster behind a shopping center. Small was hired by Pinpoint, a subsidiary of Strategic Allied Consulting, the embattled firm that was hired by the Republican National Committee to conduct voter registrations efforts in a number of battleground states. The RNC “fired” Strategic after allegations of voter fraud surfaced in Florida, but their employees are still active, now under the supervision of the state Republican committees. Strategic is headed by Nathan Sprouls, who was hired by the Romney campaign as a consultant for $70,000, and has been linked to efforts to destroy Democratic registrations in 2004, 2006, and 2008.

Virginia congressmen Jim Moran, Bobby Scott, and Gerry Connolly sent a letter to the Department of Justice requesting investigations into the actions of Strategic Allied Consulting and Pinpoint after the Commonwealth of Virginia refused to launch such an investigation. Ken Cuccinelli, Virginia’s Republican Attorney General and 2013 gubernatorial candidate, stated that he cannot investigate the allegations of voter fraud without a request from the state’s Board of Elections, also Republican-controlled.

Now a new scam effort is emerging. Several residents in Virginia and Florida, among other states, have received phone calls where the callers tell them a new law allows them to vote by phone, though no such law exists. The calls have particularly targeted African Americans, Spanish-speaking and elderly voters, all traditionally Democratic supporters.

Virginia is an important battleground state in the presidential race with 13 electoral votes, and has been leaning towards Obama in recent polls, though the race has tightened more recently. The senatorial race between Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican George Allen is also close.

http://www.examiner.com/article/repu...mpant-virginia

That reminded me of this too.

Arizona County Lists Wrong Date For Election Day In Spanish Translation Of Document

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1974122.html

Comment

Huffington post is tracking all of the polls combined daily. It's not a Huffington Post poll by itself. Claiming that it hasn't changed is not true at all. Here is a list of the latest polls used for the Huffington post. The dates indicate they are recent in no way the same as the polls from the first debate.

Also, the election is neck and neck in terms of the popular vote which the Huffington post indicates. But Obama has a clear lead on the electoral college map which is going to decide the election.

Latest Polls

Ipsos/Reuters (Web)NEW!

10/19 - 10/23

1,030 LV

-

Obama +1

PPP (D-Americans United for Change)NEW!

10/20 - 10/22

1,200 LV

Romney +2

RasmussenNEW!

10/20 - 10/22

1,500 LV

Romney +4

YouGov/EconomistNEW!

10/20 - 10/22

803 LV

Obama +2

ABC/PostNEW!

10/19 - 10/22

1,382 LV

-

Romney +1

IBD/TIPPNEW!

10/17 - 10/22

875 LV

Obama +2

UPI/CVOTERNEW!

10/16 - 10/22

1,162 LV

-

-

GallupNEW!

10/16 - 10/22

2,700 LV

-

Romney +5

ARG

10/18 - 10/21

1,200 LV

Romney +2

Democracy Corps (D)

10/18 - 10/21

1,000 LV

Obama +3
                    1st off...your posts would be much easier to read and taken more seriously if you used normal type sizes.

2nd...I don't see nor have I ever seen those stats on that page you linked.

3rd...You just posted 14 to 8 for Romney.

If Huffington averages out the daily polls (and I only pay attention to the electoral college...the national vote means nothing in terms of who will win) that link does not indicate so...and I know what I have seen and that page does not update. Although all these sites claim to update daily...you can see even the ones I posted yesterday in my initial post have not updated today...yet if you go to the sites you will see that they have claimed they did.

Comment

1st off...your posts would be much easier to read and taken more seriously if you used normal type sizes.

2nd...I don't see nor have I ever seen those stats on that page you linked.

3rd...You just posted 14 to 8 for Romney.

If Huffington averages out the daily polls (and I only pay attention to the electoral college...the national vote means nothing in terms of who will win) that link does not indicate so...and I know what I have seen and that page does not update. Although all these sites claim to update daily...you can see even the ones I posted yesterday in my initial post have not updated today...yet if you go to the sites you will see that they have claimed they did.
                      You have to be either delusional or illiterate if you think their electoral map never updates. I guess that explains why you believe today is the first time Obama revealed his policy plans. That's all I have to say about that.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/...-electoral-map

This link provides everything you claim you didn't see. If you still pretend this page never updates, you're the one who can't be taken seriously.
                      Last edited by joseph5620; 10-24-2012, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X