No announcement yet.

"Band Off" - Nirvana vs Radiohead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omarinbox View Post
    Its inaccurate to say the depression was the inspiration for his music.

Bleach was a depression. Nevermind he was doing well. In Utero was a proper junkie superstar what am I doing here depression.

His musical styles change you listen to the albums Nevermind is the most upbeat and In Utero he is sick of this ****.

Fact of the matter is his personality wasn't strong enough to deal with the pressure and he broke.

If you think that stadium filling crap is better. You buy it.

I'm down the bar watching the bands coming up.

They're good...
    Bold: this is answered someone with the italicized statement. He wanted to be a bar band but he became a stadium filling super band whose vast majority of fans were teenage girls and boys.

Underline: Stadium filling crap huh? So every band that has ever had a stadium filling concert is automatically crap? Come on Nirvana were arena rock too by your standards.

BTW Radioheads live shows are ALWAYS labeled as some of the best live shows you can go to. Their last big concert at Bonnaroo a few years back was praised for the creativity and they emotion sparked in the crowd.

the only emotion youll get from Nirvana is a moss pit or a bong hit.

Italicized: Nirvana was only a bar band before it smells like teen spirit. After that they were MTV's baby doll. Sorry to tell you that but many saw Nirvana as a sellout band in the 90's....well of course before Kurt killed himself

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Chunday View Post
      When a band finishes forever, what the band did can be immedietly viewed in perspective. They arent going to go on a steady decline and be exposed as a one trick pony. We dont know what else they could have produced.

Nirvana did change. Theres a massive difference from Bleach to In Utero and then Unplugged.

Radioheads music may be more complex and diverse, i dont think that makes them better.
      It is very difficult to write basic simple songs that are great.
      In Bleach they had that solemn stance wherein when you hear it you'd say the band's tight and they had that artistic feel alongside the carefully chosen chops.

Post Sliver up to unplugged it suddenly became boring and pop-py, more mass appealed and seemed lacking it's utter core.

Just as much as Smashing Pumpkin's "Siamese Dream" is waaaayyyy more deep musically and artistically than post Mellon Collie.

Comment

Me go to ****ty job now, but one last word.

Radiohead use the same formula they have alsways used. But have tried different styles and sounds.
        Nirvana werent around long enough for us to see what they would have done.

Radiohead have over 10 years more time to evolve and progress and experiment. So its not a fair contest.
        Going from guitars to using synthesizers and beat machines is sticking to the same formula?

Comment

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
          Going from guitars to using synthesizers and beat machines is sticking to the same formula?
          What he probably meant was the concept in making music, not the artistic approach in instrumentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamis_Siensya View Post
            What he probably meant was the concept in making music, not the artistic approach in instrumentation.
            Even the concept in music making is completely different from The Bends to Kid A.....

Comment

When a band finishes forever, what the band did can be immedietly viewed in perspective. They arent going to go on a steady decline and be exposed as a one trick pony. We dont know what else they could have produced.

Nirvana did change. Theres a massive difference from Bleach to In Utero and then Unplugged.

Radioheads music may be more complex and diverse, i dont think that makes them better.It is very difficult to write basic simple songs that are great
              I have been speaking solely on the fact of musicianship.

Even at Radioheads second album they were light years beyone nirvana in writing complex musical works.

Nirvana's albums did not change hardly at all even though some of you are making compelling arguements

you cant tell me Bleach to In Utero are on the same level as say OK Computer to Kid A

I like Nirvana and have the albums but this is like comparing Led Zeppelin to Journey

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
                Bold: this is answered someone with the italicized statement. He wanted to be a bar band but he became a stadium filling super band whose vast majority of fans were teenage girls and boys.

Underline: Stadium filling crap huh? So every band that has ever had a stadium filling concert is automatically crap? Come on Nirvana were arena rock too by your standards.

BTW Radioheads live shows are ALWAYS labeled as some of the best live shows you can go to. Their last big concert at Bonnaroo a few years back was praised for the creativity and they emotion sparked in the crowd.

the only emotion youll get from Nirvana is a moss pit or a bong hit.

Italicized: Nirvana was only a bar band before it smells like teen spirit. After that they were MTV's baby doll. Sorry to tell you that but many saw Nirvana as a sellout band in the 90's....well of course before Kurt killed himself
                All the Sonic Youth fans were giving it sellout to the Norvana fans. Its true. I'm still happy I got to see Sonic Youth doing Daydream Nation in a bar here a while back and it wasn't a moshpit it was cool.

Reason Radiohead live shows are so good? They get producers to lay out for massive lightshows and big stages. If thats what you want you're much better with the Chemical Brothers cos you won't get Thom Yorke whining at you on a big screen with animations in the background and a massive speaker that makes you wan to slit your wrists and cry.

A stadium filler doesn't make you crap but I would rather see Led Zep than ELP, cos they play proper rock and roll and not prog. Nirvana could have been Led Zep but died Radiohead are just ELP.

And thats what Radiohead are, just a modern prog-rock band.

They really, really grind my gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
                  Even the concept in music making is completely different from The Bends to Kid A.....
                  That's why I said probably.

The formula for every band is subjective as it is, but the complexity is far from being imitated or considered for the next material. And Radiohead is notorius enough of not following a single blueprint for their work. Much like your point in The Bends sounding different from Kid A.

Comment

Originally posted by omarinbox View Post
                    All the Sonic Youth fans were giving it sellout to the Norvana fans. Its true. I'm still happy I got to see Sonic Youth doing Daydream Nation in a bar here a while back and it wasn't a moshpit it was cool.

Reason Radiohead live shows are so good? They get producers to lay out for massive lightshows and big stages. If thats what you want you're much better with the Chemical Brothers cos you won't get Thom Yorke whining at you on a big screen with animations in the background and a massive speaker that makes you wan to slit your wrists and cry.

A stadium filler doesn't make you crap but I would rather see Led Zep than ELP, cos they play proper rock and roll and not prog. Nirvana could have been Led Zep but died Radiohead are just ELP.

And thats what Radiohead are, just a modern prog-rock band.

They really, really grind my gears.
                    They're not a "modern prog rock band".

They won't even classify their own music.

Comment

Cos they're too progressive.

Comment

Working...
                      X