Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would anyone buy full EV and not a Hybrid?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would anyone buy full EV and not a Hybrid?

Can some of our car literate members explain to me why anybody would buy an electric vehicle as opposed to a hybrid?

I can't see the reasons why someone would not opt for the hybrid version you take off the table so many problems. But I'm always learning and I know there might be some reasons I'm not aware of. I'm hoping some of them were car literate members can explain this to me.
    Last edited by billeau2; 04-18-2024, 10:43 AM.
    boxingfan91 boxingfan91 likes this.

A car totally committed to that daily grind. Nearly zero maintenance, home charging or in some cases, work subsidized charging. Nothing could be simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
      A car totally committed to that daily grind. Nearly zero maintenance, home charging or in some cases, work subsidized charging. Nothing could be simpler.
      Ok but don't you have virtually all the same features with the added security of range if the vehicle is a hybrid?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Ok but don't you have virtually all the same features with the added security of range if the vehicle is a hybrid?
        Still need to keep an eye on the oil and coolant, still need to change them when that time comes. You got your hoses and belts that wear and age, a smog check is also required. With an all electric, you got tires.

I wouldn't have one as my only ride though, too restrictive.
        billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Can some of our car literate members explain to me why anybody would buy an electric vehicle as opposed to a hybrid?

I can't see the reasons why someone would not opt for the hybrid version you take off the table so many problems. But I'm always learning and I know there might be some reasons I'm not aware of. I'm hoping some of them were car literate members can explain this to me.
          We use the electric vehicle for all local and close distance usage. The previous car was averaging like $270 gas a month and that has gone down to like $35 more of electricity if that much. No maintenance what so ever. We do have the advantage that there are other cars in the household.

I would not recommend it if is your only car or you don't live in a house. The hybrid would be way the better option.

Comment

I agree with your reasoning. I would much prefer a hybrid over an EV, but the government's determination to eventually allow only EVs is what stop me from buying one. The move away from using any form of fossil fuels is already impacting our lives. When I bought my current home, some of the remodeling was to make it total electric. no gas heat and no gas heated water, all electric. In the short term my utilities are higher, but at least I won't have to retrofit should the use of gas is at some future date prohibited.

Comment

I’m open to EVs but if I had to choose one right now, I would choose Hybrid. I don’t like CVT but with Hybrids, you get the best of both worlds.

I love Toyota/Lexus Hybrids..

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post

We use the electric vehicle for all local and close distance usage. The previous car was averaging like $270 gas a month and that has gone down to like $35 more of electricity if that much. No maintenance what so ever. We do have the advantage that there are other cars in the household.

I would not recommend it if is your only car or you don't live in a house. The hybrid would be way the better option.
                That makes sense because there are many electric vehicles that are used that way. Even things like bikes, golf carts. That is how I tend to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by OldTerry View Post

I agree with your reasoning. I would much prefer a hybrid over an EV, but the government's determination to eventually allow only EVs is what stop me from buying one. The move away from using any form of fossil fuels is already impacting our lives. When I bought my current home, some of the remodeling was to make it total electric. no gas heat and no gas heated water, all electric. In the short term my utilities are higher, but at least I won't have to retrofit should the use of gas is at some future date prohibited.
                  I appreciate the comment regarding my reasoning but I have to say: I don't have any real opinion yet... I feel uninformed and seek clarification because it seems like a total no brainer. I can even go so far as to see the "Tesla" thing because it is an obvious status thing, nobody in their right mind would use such a vehicle with its range, and reliability for its reliability...the proof is look at who drives these absurd things lol. What I wonder is: the guy/gal who decides an electric is a reasonable alternative. Tires wear through, and there are other expenses that cancel out the total lack of regular maintenance. And you cannot go certain places with roads. I really don't get it.

Comment

That makes sense because there are many electric vehicles that are used that way. Even things like bikes, golf carts. That is how I tend to think about it.
                    I actually was opposed to the idea but it actually has worked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X