No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplayer mode Teaser

This might turn out to be the greatest game ever ****ing made. Just looking at the mechanics in play it looks ****ing spectacular.

Comment

MGO is the best multiplayer ever, rank 16 b¡tches!

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        they are way, way too easy. The End is an optional boss, but still fairly easy if you choose to not play 1v1 snipes with him.

I've beat MGS2 and 3 over 10 times for sure. MGS1 probably at least 4 times and MGS4 about 3 times.

I still think MGS2 is the best in the series, aside from the story but the point what Kojima was lookin to get across. The flow of data and how data is obtained and sent out to the masses is coming together in today's reality.
        I replayed MGS2 a week ago and I was surprised to see how eerily plausible a lot of what Colonel Campbell says in that last codec call before "Solidus" is. Controlling the flow of information, debunking the belief that doing your best will result in succeeding, stating how society is drowning in a mass of useless information and how they need to be herded with selective information...it fits pretty accurately into today's society almost 14 years after the game's release.

MGS2, with all of its constant cutscene and codec interruptions, is admittedly my favorite MGS in terms of atmosphere, tone, and topics. It was bold of Kojima to try and offer a different perspective on Snake by utilizing a new character and it didn't pay off well, but I don't think it's fair to scrutinize him for trying something different, and I personally believe a lot of the complaints of Raiden being portrayed as "whiny" are a little bit exaggerated.

Having said that, MGS3 is perhaps the best MGS in terms of RAW gameplay. Right down until the very end, there is a HUGE emphasis on sneaking around these vast, multiple approach, varied terrain locations. I don't even know the game that well and I'm almost positive I can recall off the top of my head well over half a dozen parts where you have to get from point A to point B, and there are more than a couple of paths for approaching the objective. It's a great game, with a simple and emotional plot.

MGS4 is terrific on an initial playthrough, and it's not bad, but the game IS overrated to some extent. The game starts out great with the first two chapters and a lot of sneaking around, but the gameplay potential is left unexploited in the last three chapters. You would be very hard-pressed to find ANY people who say that chapter 3 was one of their favorite chapters in MGS4. And yes, you ARE sneaking, which is what MGS is all about, but the fact that you are tediously tailing someone becomes more of an annoyance than anything else. The fourth chapter is nothing but fanservice (be honest...it's GREAT fanservice, but there is hardly any actual gameplay in that chapter and it only feels like some VERY minor sneaking with boss battles. Chapter 5 goes on to make this even more pronounced. When dissecting it, you notice that it consists of only one VERY short area followed by two short boss battles.

If MGS5 can take the first two chapters of MGS4 and make more of them, then we could be seeing the best MGS gameplay-wise. The second chapter of MGS4 is VERY strong because there is A LOT of terrain to sneak around and multiple approaches towards the objective. That's what MGS4 needed more of to be greater.

Comment

mgs4 is the weakest of the series, and mgo wasn't good, mainly because of the games mechanics, but the phantom pain is much improved in that department, so hopefully the game and mgo are both great

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
            I replayed MGS2 a week ago and I was surprised to see how eerily plausible a lot of what Colonel Campbell says in that last codec call before "Solidus" is. Controlling the flow of information, debunking the belief that doing your best will result in succeeding, stating how society is drowning in a mass of useless information and how they need to be herded with selective information...it fits pretty accurately into today's society almost 14 years after the game's release.

MGS2, with all of its constant cutscene and codec interruptions, is admittedly my favorite MGS in terms of atmosphere, tone, and topics. It was bold of Kojima to try and offer a different perspective on Snake by utilizing a new character and it didn't pay off well, but I don't think it's fair to scrutinize him for trying something different, and I personally believe a lot of the complaints of Raiden being portrayed as "whiny" are a little bit exaggerated.
            Yeah there's a lot of interesting things in MGS2. The whole philosophy behind the plot, plus mentioning of memes before memes was even popular.

Also I've read that Raiden is a lot more popular in Japan. He's opposite of the Western American rugged Solid Snake. He's the (clueless) effeminate samurai guy. But they do attempt to make him badass in MGS4, cool at first but its still Raiden.

Having said that, MGS3 is perhaps the best MGS in terms of RAW gameplay. Right down until the very end, there is a HUGE emphasis on sneaking around these vast, multiple approach, varied terrain locations. I don't even know the game that well and I'm almost positive I can recall off the top of my head well over half a dozen parts where you have to get from point A to point B, and there are more than a couple of paths for approaching the objective. It's a great game, with a simple and emotional plot.
            I agree 100%, I enjoy MGS3 so much just for the gameplay and the fact it brought us to the jungle. Sneaking and survival were highly emphasized. Also the cool cutscene easter eggs, such as radio numbers to get you out of jail.

MGS4 is terrific on an initial playthrough, and it's not bad, but the game IS overrated to some extent. The game starts out great with the first two chapters and a lot of sneaking around, but the gameplay potential is left unexploited in the last three chapters. You would be very hard-pressed to find ANY people who say that chapter 3 was one of their favorite chapters in MGS4. And yes, you ARE sneaking, which is what MGS is all about, but the fact that you are tediously tailing someone becomes more of an annoyance than anything else. The fourth chapter is nothing but fanservice (be honest...it's GREAT fanservice, but there is hardly any actual gameplay in that chapter and it only feels like some VERY minor sneaking with boss battles. Chapter 5 goes on to make this even more pronounced. When dissecting it, you notice that it consists of only one VERY short area followed by two short boss battles.

If MGS5 can take the first two chapters of MGS4 and make more of them, then we could be seeing the best MGS gameplay-wise. The second chapter of MGS4 is VERY strong because there is A LOT of terrain to sneak around and multiple approaches towards the objective. That's what MGS4 needed more of to be greater.
            Yeah pretty much, I played MGS4 three times. I think the highest difficulty was plain Extreme. I am right before you meet Naomi on my current Normal play-through but I don't really touch it because the game feels a little dull to play. Chapter 3 man.. **** that chapter. I think that chapter has like an hour plus of cutscene too, but the gameplay was horrendous before it and I really dislike the bike sequence. Chapter 4 was definitely great, but nothing special, and a bit easy if you played MGS1. The boss battles were a lot better than MGS3 tho.

I think in MGS5 its going to be something really fresh. I want to ask Kojima how open this world truly is, as in, how many loading screens will I see?

Comment

I can see MGS2 appearing to be the worst MGS as a kid because of how complex the story can get. The dialogue can get awfully tough to keep up with but it's honestly my second favourite MGS at this point because I get the story and how a lot of it can actually be applied to life today in 2015. MGS1 will always be my favourite.

MGS 1 > MGS 2 > MGS 3 > MGS 4 imo. Although a lot of people I know have MGS 1 or MGS 3 at number 1. MGS 5 looks awesome so far, let's hope Kojima hasn't lost his touch.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
                I can see MGS2 appearing to be the worst MGS as a kid because of how complex the story can get. The dialogue can get awfully tough to keep up with but it's honestly my second favourite MGS at this point because I get the story and how a lot of it can actually be applied to life today in 2015. MGS1 will always be my favourite.

MGS 1 > MGS 2 > MGS 3 > MGS 4 imo. Although a lot of people I know have MGS 1 or MGS 3 at number 1. MGS 5 looks awesome so far, let's hope Kojima hasn't lost his touch.
                I love, love, love both games, but MGS2 and MGS4 are my least favorite numbered MGS games because they have the same flaw; the pacing is plain bad at times. Both games never reach the balance of gameplay to story that MGS1 and MGS3 do. MGS1 in particular is almost perfect in that regard, which is why it's my favorite.

Comment

There's no question MGS3 is the best for gameplay, and arguably the best MGS game period. It's ****ing outstanding in every area.

MGS5 is going to be more like Peace Walker and Portable Ops on the PSP, only with a AAA console game budget. You'll get thrown into huge areas with specific goals within that area, but you can explore and find optional content from the sound of things. Kojima said it's possible to play through the game without even finding Quiet, who has been a big part of the advertising.

Comment

Snake eater was so bad ass, my favorite MGS

MGS 4, brought me back to gaming

Comment

Incase anyone peeks their head in here and wants to see what all the fuss is about. I like this trailer much, much more than the "Red Band" trailer.

Comment

Working...
                      X