Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying out deadspace for the 1st time...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Survival horror is a subgenre of action-adventure video games inspired by horror fiction. Although combat can be a part of the gameplay, the player is made to feel less powerful than in typical action games, because of limited ammunition, health, speed, or other limitations. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas, and solve puzzles at certain locations. Games make use of strong horror themes, and the player is often challenged to navigate dark maze-like environments, and react to unexpected attacks from enemies."
    I don't know about you, but I feel pretty ****ing powerful in a game where there's like 8 different handguns (including 3 overpowered magnums), 3 different shotguns (one of which can hold 100 rounds), multiple sniper rifles and machine guns, plus a rocket launcer, a mine thrower, 3 different types of grenades, and a laser cannon that never runs out of ammo.

Comment

So if some one told you to recommend them some PS2 games to play, and they specifically tell you "no scary games". You would go ahead and recommend them Resident Evil 4?

That's the real question, would you recommend RE4 to some one and label it as an action game and tell them, Oh don't worry it is not horror? If you were to tell like it is, you would admit it is indeed SH. I mean you could be Rambo and tell the person, 'RE4 is not horror, if you get scared of anything in that game you're just a little b-tch.' But let's face it there's plenty of horror elements in RE4. This is the first time I see some one claim RE4 is an outright action game.

I just can't see how some one can deny that Resident Evil 4 is "Survival Horror". RE4 is the pinnacle of Survival Horror games. You are surviving, and there's horrific events happening in the game. That is survival horror. And I can't see how you can praise RE2 but dismiss RE4 as an SH game, I had a lot more "Oh sh-t" moments with RE4 than with RE2. I actually didn't think RE2 was that scary, but it is Survival Horror. I would say RE3 having nemesis following you around was more horrific than RE2. RE1/Remake is basically the best one, it is my favorite and then goes RE4.

If some one would tell me to recommend them the three best SH games of all time in my opinion, I would say RE Director's Cut/REmake, Resident Evil 4, and Dead Space.

Comment

"The Resident Evil remake is actually one of my favorites of the series too. But it didn't sell very well," creator Shinji Mikami tells IGN. "Maybe there weren't many people ready to accept that. Because of the reaction to the Resident Evil remake, I decided to work more action into Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 would have been a more scary, horror-focused game if the remake had sold well."
        http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/27/wh...ror-to-action/

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
          I don't know about you, but I feel pretty ****ing powerful in a game where there's like 8 different handguns (including 3 overpowered magnums), 3 different shotguns (one of which can hold 100 rounds), multiple sniper rifles and machine guns, plus a rocket launcer, a mine thrower, 3 different types of grenades, and a laser cannon that never runs out of ammo.
          Take it from Ether, he is a way bigger gamer than I am. He himself said Resident Evil 4 in professional mode is one of the hardest games he has played.

The Stryker shotgun can hold 100 rounds, after upgrading it fully and that takes a sh-tload of money.

A rocket launcher? That has 1 missile, unless you unlock the infinite version which again, you have to beat the game first.

You are not being fair right now when describing the game, you are acting like you start off with all of these weapons and you don't have to beat the campaign several times in order to fully upgrade all of these weapons. This feels more like a presidential election, with the nitpicking and propaganda they do to each other.

Comment

Resident Evil 4 would have been a more scary, horror-focused game if the remake had sold well.
            Keyword more, meaning more than it was. Meaning it's mixed, action and SH. But "it could have been more scary."

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              So if some one told you to recommend them some PS2 games to play, and they specifically tell you "no scary games". You would go ahead and recommend them Resident Evil 4?
              This is just ridiculous, but I'll play along.

If someone asked me to recommend them good PS2 games and used the exact phrase "no scary games" I wouldn't recommend RE4. Not because I consider it scary, but because I'd assume they wanted PS2 recommendations for their children, so I'd likely just recommend a combination of platformers, RPGs, and puzzle games : Stuff for the whole family.

If they said "recommend me some great PS2 action games" RE4 would be the first suggestion out of my mouth.

That's the real question, would you recommend RE4 to some one and label it as an action game and tell them, Oh don't worry it is not horror? If you were to tell like it is, you would admit it is indeed SH. I mean you could be Rambo and tell the person, 'RE4 is not horror, if you get scared of anything in that game you're just a little b-tch.' But let's face it there's plenty of horror elements in RE4. This is the first time I see some one claim RE4 is an outright action game.
              See above.

As for the bolded, you must not read much kotaku, reddit, 1up, or joystiq, as there are literally thousands of debates about this particular topic on each of those websites since RE4's release.

The general opinion is split about 50/50 or 60/40 as to whether or not RE4 constitutes as survival horror or not. I'm obviously in the camp that doesn't feel that it does.

At best, RE4 is action horror, which is a genre of it's own that also includes games like Dead Rising, the Alone in the Dark remake, the Left 4 Dead series, the Suffering, and Doom 3 : Titles that have a minimal amount of horror in them and a heavy dose of action.

I just can't see how some one can deny that Resident Evil 4 is "Survival Horror". RE4 is the pinnacle of Survival Horror games. You are surviving, and there's horrific events happening in the game. That is survival horror.
              I'd hardly call mowing through every enemy in the game with great ease with the above mentioned arsenal of weapons "surviving."

Surviving is what you do in Silent Hill. Genocide is what happens to enemies in RE games since 4.

I had a lot more "Oh sh-t" moments with RE4 than with RE2. I actually didn't think RE2 was that scary, but it is Survival Horror. I would say RE3 having nemesis following you around was more horrific than RE2. RE1/Remake is basically the best one, it is my favorite and then goes RE4.
              Those earlier RE entries (the original trilogy) were all survival horror games because they were actually about survival : Minimal ammo, tougher enemies, less weaponry, and bosses that required extensive planning before engaging them in battle.

Comment

Keyword more, meaning more than it was. Meaning it's mixed, action and SH. But "it could have been more scary."
                I'm not denying that there are horror themes in RE4. I'm denying that it's a survival horror game. RE4 is an action/horror hybrid with most of the emphasis being on action.

Comment

Comment

Take it from Ether, he is a way bigger gamer than I am. He himself said Resident Evil 4 in professional mode is one of the hardest games he has played.

The Stryker shotgun can hold 100 rounds, after upgrading it fully and that takes a sh-tload of money.

A rocket launcher? That has 1 missile, unless you unlock the infinite version which again, you have to beat the game first.

You are not being fair right now when describing the game, you are acting like you start off with all of these weapons and you don't have to beat the campaign several times in order to fully upgrade all of these weapons. This feels more like a presidential election, with the nitpicking and propaganda they do to each other.
                    RE4 is easy as hell on Professional. The only hard part is the that horribly annoying part in the castle with the respawning enemies, where you have to protect Ashley while she turns cranks.

Comment

Ether has nothing to do with this conversation. I'm talking about my own experience playing through the game a dozen times on three different platforms.

(The original Gamecube release when it was exclusive, the PS2 release, and the version available on PSN/XBL.)

A ****load of gold that's incredibly easy to get your hands on due to every enemy in the game dropping gold or ammo (which can be sold for gold) when they die. Not to mention the huge variety of treasures valued at 2,000-10,000 gold that are scattered throughout the game.

I'm not talking about the infinite rocket launcher. I'm talking about the one shot rocket launcher that you can buy from the weapons merchant at any time you want for a paltry 10,000 gold a pop. You can stock up on those things super early in the game.

I'm being completely fair. The arsenal of weapons in that game is ridiculous and they're incredibly easy to max out early due to how easy it is to farm gold.

The game literally poses no threat of dying once you have one or two guns maxed out : I did an entire run-through simply with a maxed out Red9 pistol.

Comment

Working...
                      X