Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some that train twice as hard as even great boxers but can show very little for it, it just goes to show natural talents goes a long way with reosonable training of course.

Also isn't over training for long periods of time immitating high blood pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by TRANSWARP View Post
      There are some that train twice as hard as even great boxers but can show very little for it, it just goes to show natural talents goes a long way with reosonable training of course.

Also isn't over training for long periods of time immitating high blood pressure?
      True. Talent is a great gift. But most of the time it only takes you so far. You need to get down and get serious to make it, especially in boxing.
      I've seen plenty of hard workers beat greater talents in the long run. Talent always wins in the beginning, but in the long run, hard workers outlive those with talent and no work ethic.

I don't know how over training IMITATES (sure that's the word you were looking for?) high blood pressure?

Of course overtraining is negative, hence the term OVERtraining. Training should be dosed correctly, so you get the rest you need. That's a whole other topic in its own right. Just don't think training HARD is the same as overtraining. It's a convenient excuse to be lazy, though...

Comment

Train hard but killing yourself with such a intense routine week in and week out is not good for you, if you are in preparation for an upcoming fight that is a different story.

But remember boxing is alot of wear and tear on the body, not so much from the fights, but the rigorous and intense training.

Be prepared but do not leave the fight in the gym, too many fighters spar ridicilous amounts of rounds and beat the crap out of each other in the gym and are worn out come fight time. Example, philly has some of the greatest boxing gyms in the country by far and if u train in one you can get some of the most intense sparring with hungry fighters, yet the ratio of acutal fighters to successful fighters there has gone down in large amounts because of the gym wars. Remember sparring is a tool.

Know your body and know your limits, just cause someone has a plan that works great for them does not mean it will work for you, develop your own routine.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
          I don't think he claimed anything else? He says he does 3-10 rounds, 3 times a week. If that's every week, that's a lot of sparring.
          yeah thats exactly my point. training to me should be centered around sparring. Everything else is a suplement. I try my damndest to get in a min of 10 rnds a week with the number of fighters in this area 30 is not so hard. Hard on me I've been lucky to remain relatively healthy and injury free minus some cuts and hurt knuckles minor sprains etc.

Comment

Originally posted by versatile2k6 View Post
            to me.thats to much stuff. hell i just work the bag and shadow box and run 3miles and im in better shape then most ppl that do all the **** u just named.and i only stay at the gym for an hour
            You know I used to spent as little as 6-8 hrs training a week I had good power not enough stanima. Just didn't feel I was as sharp as I could be.
            I'll admit I don't do everyone of those exersizes every day there are my staples and then a few are extra. I have to spar thats no. one. the weights vary I have taken a week off of them completely and used my "easy days" to rest. But Extreme dedication to me = results extreme athlete. Some people got is easy don't have to work as hard,

Comment

Originally posted by triggnom View Post
              What type of training is it that boxers do, that get them in the incredible, INCREDIBLE amount of shape their in? Gymnists are pretty amazing but i dont think they can trade that many punchs for a 12 round fight like a boxer, so what is the key??
              ---
              What part of the training carries the most weight for a boxer's physical conditon?----

In today's world not all professional boxers are in great physical condition. In bygone decades when boxing was a bigger sport, boxing was much more competitive, so boxers had to be in great shape to win. But times have changed. Go to any boxing show are you are most likely to see a series of boring mismatches. It wasn't like that 50 years ago.

By the way, the knowledge of how to get in shape has been around for over 100 years. You can read a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo in this forum, but the fact is Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis hadn't heard anything about it. Nevertheless, they could go 15 hard rounds with any boxer in the world today, assuming there is a boxer in the world today who could go 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Azteca View Post
                re kingdosia:
                high intensity interval training isn't the be all end all of training for professional or serious boxers. sparring is the best conditioning for a REAL fight.
                I defently aggree. First gym i started at, once i started sparring i was sparring everyday.

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
                In today's world not all professional boxers are in great physical condition. In bygone decades when boxing was a bigger sport, boxing was much more competitive, so boxers had to be in great shape to win. But times have changed. Go to any boxing show are you are most likely to see a series of boring mismatches. It wasn't like that 50 years ago.

By the way, the knowledge of how to get in shape has been around for over 100 years. You can read a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo in this forum, but the fact is Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis hadn't heard anything about it. Nevertheless, they could go 15 hard rounds with any boxer in the world today, assuming there is a boxer in the world today who could go 15 rounds.
                One secert to lasting the 15 now 12 rounds imo, is being able to pace yourself, breathing, and im looking for another word that is usally used but i can't find it, lol, but condition of course is also a must.

Comment

In all my years training, the hardest of all is sparring. No matter how much you run, do pads, hit bags etc., when you spar you feel it more than all above. Manny Steward chose sparring over any other workout. James Toney never runs, never hits the bags, he spars all the time. He kicked Peters ass all over the ring. James is fat because he eats garbage. If he had a good diet he would be a cruiserweight. He is not lazy, just his eating habits that ruined him. He is a small guy fighting true heavyweights... and he is carrying extra fat. My workout routine is.. Mon, Weds and Fri sparring at least 12 rounds per workout with different partners and then jumping rope for 3 - 10 rounds. The rest of the week I do abs, stretching, pushups and shadowboxing.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post

Mumbo Jumbo huh? lol.
                    You need to read up on somthing published this decade. **** this half century, And not Joe fraziers book, Which is the true mumbo jumbo.
                    fighters in out times could go 15 rounds I would assume with ease there is a reason we don't. There is a reason Athletic commisions stopped that practice. Fighters are too strong too powerful and the deaths of fighters was increasing. Science can have a 340 lineman run a 4:6 40 a feat training methods of yesteryear could never accomplish. People are made faster and stronger And even you should know the equation for power Potatoes
                    speed x max strength. Oh yeah it's not so hard to figure out more power = more ko's = shorter fights. You don't have a viable argument for that so give up and go away read fraziers bood again or somthing. You are no help

Comment

Originally posted by versatile2k6 View Post
                      to me.thats to much stuff. hell i just work the bag and shadow box and run 3miles and im in better shape then most ppl that do all the **** u just named.and i only stay at the gym for an hour
                      I agree with this. While the exercises Kindosia said are definitely good and pertain to boxing, after working out for an hour your Central nervous system is much more susceptible to being taxed and makes training that long counterproductive. Studies show that people should not train intensely for more much more than an hour because your body becomes immune to any stimulation thereafter...making it not only a waste of time, but an overhaul on your body.

For myself my body responds much better to short training sessions, one hour and I'm done. Working out intelligently and doing the right stuff for one hour, 4 times a week will get me in good a shape as anyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X