Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yesterday I talked keeping your hands up while boxing..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday I talked keeping your hands up while boxing..

So yesterday I talked about how to always keep your hands up by slightly leaning forward. In this post I'm going to give you 3 reasons why you should NEVER lean back.

And this is coming from someone who likes to counterpunch and fight a defensive type of style.

1. Your chin is up in air. - I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen fighters knocked out by just leaning back and getting caught. This is the most obvious reason.
    2. Your forward or front arm can't throw power punches. You also can't attack the body with any real power punches (Hooks, Uppercuts, etc)
    3. Your back arm is slow to attack and counterpunch and also requires a weight change

Just a few quick reasons on why you should never lean back while fighting or boxing.

And I know this is a UFC picture lol but it applies to boxing as well. But this was Chris Weidman vs Anderson Silva

Threads that actually talk about boxing or blxing advice or questions, rarely get a response. I wonder why...?

Comment

Originally posted by mxtali View Post
      Threads that actually talk about boxing or blxing advice or questions, rarely get a response. I wonder why...?

Haha. Oh you'll get responses. Just wait for the main crew (OctoberRed, Rockin', and Redd Foxx) to drop off their words of wisdom. Well worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by mxtali View Post
        Hahaha, I noticed that there are a few people who do give great advice like mentioned above. But just trying to give value.

This is a boxing forum and this is the training section after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoseph View Post
          So yesterday I talked about how to always keep your hands up by slightly leaning forward. In this post I'm going to give you 3 reasons why you should NEVER lean back.

And this is coming from someone who likes to counterpunch and fight a defensive type of style.

1. Your chin is up in air. - I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen fighters knocked out by just leaning back and getting caught. This is the most obvious reason.
          2. Your forward or front arm can't throw power punches. You also can't attack the body with any real power punches (Hooks, Uppercuts, etc)
          3. Your back arm is slow to attack and counterpunch and also requires a weight change

Just a few quick reasons on why you should never lean back while fighting or boxing.

And I know this is a UFC picture lol but it applies to boxing as well. But this was Chris Weidman vs Anderson Silva

Depends on the fighter. If you look at Fury, he always leans back, Klitschko did as well. They judge the distance well.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Depends on the fighter. If you look at Fury, he always leans back, Klitschko did as well. They judge the distance well.
            this^ you must find your own style

rules are made to be broken

Comment

Originally posted by Yoseph View Post

My 13yo had a horrible habit of doing that until very recent. All it took was him widening his stance a bit and leaning forward more. Leaning back causes your hands to naturally drop and ur chin goes up in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Fury and Klitschko got away with it because of their size and frames as well as the size of their opponents. How often do you see a shorter fighter able to get away with leaning backwards from a taller or longer fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                  Fury and Klitschko got away with it because of their size and frames as well as the size of their opponents. How often do you see a shorter fighter able to get away with leaning backwards from a taller or longer fighter?
                  Prince Naseem must've done it a few times.. but yeah, it's the exception rather than rule.

All I'd say is that fundamentals-wise, it doesn't matter where you go, you will hear the same things and you will get the same advice from every gym. Starting out in boxing, in a sense, it really doesn't matter what gym you go to, because as long as the teaching is OK, the fundamentals are the same everywhere. Feet first, turn them over, keep your hands up, etc... However, once you get past the fundamentals, the rules can kind of go out of the window a bit, as we see with virtuoso boxers, who really have their own style.

So, this talk of ALWAYS keep your hands up, or like "RULE NUMBER ONE in boxing", it's good for those starting out or for those who want to go back to basics. But maybe letting your hands drop is alright sometimes. Sergio Martinez, he always dropped his hands out of range. Or shooting a jab from the hip, it can be effective. There lots of examples where the rule doesn't fit

Comment

Exactly which is why I talked about tilting or leaning forward in my last post. It's all about balance

Comment

Working...
                    X