Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left hook weight displacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i actually place my weight on both legs for maximum power i also fight square also maybe thats why

Comment

Originally posted by platinummatt
      I read that weight can be put on your left foot for left hooks, but other people say the right ( orthodox stance ) The way I see it. weight on left leg would be slower, but more powerful, weight on right leg would be faster but less powerful. look at a sledgehammer. swinging it so the heavy part is on the outside being swung, hard, slow. holding the heavy bit, swinging the wood, fast, not hard. Comments? And which way do you do it?

Weight on the ball of the left foot works best for me.

When I started I had a tendency to place my weight on the back of my heel but that led to a habit of pulling my punches back instead of going forward.

For power shots, I also like to stand "Vargas Style" with both feet turned inwards slightly, it helps me turn my torso faster.

Comment

I read you should put weight on your left foot, for max power turn your right hip round forward and to the right, throw the punch and as its going retract,and pivot

Comment

There's lots of variations of the left hook. Joe Frazier was short, so he would duck under, then push up with his legs. So he was also using his legs to push off, along with the pivot. Also, he had a solid power train from his waist to his fist, so he would throw a left roundhouse/hook which still had the Power of God when it connected. Take a look at his fights with Ali. Most people aren't built like Joe was. Also, it matters whether one is throwing the left hook to the head or body. The hook to the body is slightly different with the hips at a little different angle. For a double hook, one can pivot the hips, rather than the feet, for the shot to the body, then pivot the feet with the follow-up shot to the head. It's too slow to pivot with the feet twice, and too weak not to pivot at all with the first shot. Take a look at Pipino Cuevas to see the consummate left hook.

Comment

im by no means an expert but when I throw a regular left hook I use mostly my left leg, but If I throw my BHOP straight right then follow up with a left hook I use more of my right leg, it seems to get good power.

Comment

Working...
            X