No announcement yet.

Left hook weight displacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left hook weight displacement

I read that weight can be put on your left foot for left hooks, but other people say the right ( orthodox stance ) The way I see it. weight on left leg would be slower, but more powerful, weight on right leg would be faster but less powerful. look at a sledgehammer. swinging it so the heavy part is on the outside being swung, hard, slow. holding the heavy bit, swinging the wood, fast, not hard. Comments? And which way do you do it?

I don't pay much attention to this but I naturally put weight on my left side.

Comment

Originally posted by platinummatt
      I read that weight can be put on your left foot for left hooks, but other people say the right ( orthodox stance ) The way I see it. weight on left leg would be slower, but more powerful, weight on right leg would be faster but less powerful. look at a sledgehammer. swinging it so the heavy part is on the outside being swung, hard, slow. holding the heavy bit, swinging the wood, fast, not hard. Comments? And which way do you do it?
      I would think this depends almost entirely on distance between you and your opponent. If you have to reach a bit with the hook, your left side is going to provide the most power because its closer to your opponent, so your punch has to kinetically cover less distance. If your in tight and the hook has a lot of body torque to it, your right side is going to provide more power because you can use the "pull" or "twist" motion of your body to your advantage. Can't do that if your reaching.

Comment

hm i was always taught weight and twist on ur left. good way to get ur hook perfect is throw a right across the bag and dont hit it and come with a left hook. helps footwork alot

Comment

uuuhhh all the weight is on my right, i do it the right way, your supposed to turn your body into it making your left foot pivot and all the weight should be on your right leg

Comment

Left Hook is overused =P Right upppercut ftw nuckz

Comment

The left hook is one of the hardest punch to master if you dont position your hand right then you could hurt your writst or you hand or even break your arms.

always try to excute your punchs right

Comment

I was taught to have the weight on the lead leg (putting it there after throwing a cross, preferably) and then transfer it to the back leg with the punch, as I twist my foot.

The cross is pretty much an opposite movement where your weight is primarily on your rear leg and you transfer it to the front leg as you throw it.

Comment

From an orthodox stance, pivot on the balls of both feet and shift the weight from left to right. The power is generated by the legs and transferred through the hips to the arms, which have only a small part in power generation and mainly provide the expression of the power by finding the target.....

Comment

Joe Frazier had one of the best left hooks ever and he says you should have your weight on your left foot as it anchors the punch and thats what drives it.

Comment

Working...
                    X