Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to know if you hit really hard or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Ha. That was pretty funny.

Comment

A lot of power is timing and technique. Being able to bring that power through the kinetic chain from your feet into your hips and getting proper rotation.

Power can also be developed over time (think of someone like Ryan Garcia). You also need to sit down on your punches. If you're a fleet footed and bouncing all over the place you aren't going to be able to generate great power. You have to get stationary and really feel your legs. These aren't mutually exclusive (think Pacquiao), but a lot of fighters are either fleet-footed (Tyson Fury), or are a bit more flat footed in order to generate that power (think GGG).

Also, you'll knock people down in sparring often, and will knock people out. I exclusively don't hit people in the head when I spar other than jabs really because I've accidentally give people concussions. So most of my knockdowns in sparring are to the body. I did just knock someone out with a single punch in an amateur bout. I've hurt every opponent I've fought and in the past I think the headgear saved a couple of them from being knocked out, but this last opponent wasn't so lucky.

I've had power since I started boxing, but I also played tennis (had the opportunity to play in college and turn pro) which really helped with that same kinetic chain as punching. I also did competition weightlifting and focus a lot of strength and conditioning, building fast twitch muscle fiber and explosiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
        A lot of power is timing and technique. Being able to bring that power through the kinetic chain from your feet into your hips and getting proper rotation.

Power can also be developed over time (think of someone like Ryan Garcia). You also need to sit down on your punches. If you're a fleet footed and bouncing all over the place you aren't going to be able to generate great power. You have to get stationary and really feel your legs. These aren't mutually exclusive (think Pacquiao), but a lot of fighters are either fleet-footed (Tyson Fury), or are a bit more flat footed in order to generate that power (think GGG).

Also, you'll knock people down in sparring often, and will knock people out. I exclusively don't hit people in the head when I spar other than jabs really because I've accidentally give people concussions. So most of my knockdowns in sparring are to the body. I did just knock someone out with a single punch in an amateur bout. I've hurt every opponent I've fought and in the past I think the headgear saved a couple of them from being knocked out, but this last opponent wasn't so lucky.

I've had power since I started boxing, but I also played tennis (had the opportunity to play in college and turn pro) which really helped with that same kinetic chain as punching. I also did competition weightlifting and focus a lot of strength and conditioning, building fast twitch muscle fiber and explosiveness.
        Just show him that video so he knows how its done.

Comment

In the gym when doing light sparring everyone complained that I hit hard and also complained about my tight defence. Full on sparring you start dropping guys. At least that’s my experience.

Comment

I'd know it was a good punch if I didn't feel anything from my elbows, wrist and my knuckles while working the bag. I'm thinking that was good distance, timing and placement.

I pattern it with golf (weird yeah)... I twist my body from the bottom up then end it with my arms then wrist. Same thing with boxing. A small step forward then twist from the bottom up then end it with my shoulder then the fist.

Comment

Sorry to be 'that guy' but the power you can throw really only matters so much to the extent that you can land it.

Some of the hardest punchers, who crack / boom the heaviest heavy bag cannot (and never will) be able to land those heavy shots on an opponent in the ring, let alone in competition. So what's the use of that?

My suggestion is that you, given you wan't to apply your power punching in competition, spend some time in a really high quality pro boxing gym (if you aren't already).

Not to train, but just to find / observe how genuine punchers (i.e. world rated / known punchers in the pro's) punch. The way world class puncher's punch in terms of their speed / force mix is often very different to how people suspect until they see them training consistently...or it even appears of gym HL clips etc.

Personally, I learnt a lot just from watching Juan LaPorte (don't trust his record, the guy could seriously crack)....watching him from a couple of meters away play with his speed / force ratio (essentially, his punching quality) on the bags and in sparring was a real eye opener. He'd evaluate his sparring partners, then change his speed to suit / land, and was always changing his speeds from there. Made it very hard for his partners.

He would adjust the speed of his punches and ease off on the power so he'd land more. Loading up, he left that in the bank...but no doubt he could anytime he wanted.

Obviously, that's a world class pro, and your looking at 3 3's or 4 2's in the am's...it'sjust that power isn't everything.

Good luck
              Last edited by ecto55; 11-23-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecto55 View Post
                Sorry to be 'that guy' but the power you can throw really only matters so much to the extent that you can land it.

Some of the hardest punchers, who crack / boom the heaviest heavy bag cannot (and never will) be able to land those heavy shots on an opponent in the ring, let alone in competition. So what's the use of that?

My suggestion is that you, given you wan't to apply your power punching in competition, spend some time in a really high quality pro boxing gym (if you aren't already).

Not to train, but just to find / observe how genuine punchers (i.e. world rated / known punchers in the pro's) punch. The way world class puncher's punch in terms of their speed / force mix is often very different to how people suspect until they see them training consistently...or it even appears of gym HL clips etc.

Personally, I learnt a lot just from watching Juan LaPorte (don't trust his record, the guy could seriously crack)....watching him from a couple of meters away play with his speed / force ratio (essentially, his punching quality) on the bags and in sparring was a real eye opener. He'd evaluate his sparring partners, then change his speed to suit / land, and was always changing his speeds from there. Made it very hard for his partners.

He would adjust the speed of his punches and ease off on the power so he'd land more. Loading up, he left that in the bank...but no doubt he could anytime he wanted.

Obviously, that's a world class pro, and your looking at 3 3's or 4 2's in the am's...it'sjust that power isn't everything.

Good luck

True its about timing Lomachenko used to dance to music to get that timing, personally I play the flute to achieve that same level of timing, sometimes the bongo's but predominately the flute

Comment

Put your son into ballet if you want him to be really hard, the pink dress and musical timing will make him an egoless killing machine.

No performance anxiety or thought if your ego got ****d already
                  Last edited by AlexKid; 11-23-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

How can you fear a loss if you lost at life already?

Comment

My style is like Lomochenko combined with roy jones jr, I cant be touched cant be moved cant be rocked

Comment

Working...
                      X