Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a lack of defence training typical in most gyms?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a lack of defence training typical in most gyms?

Hello,

I've been boxing for about a year now and I only started sparring 1 month ago. I basically spent that entire time training offensive skills and movement, but I've had absolutely no defensive training during that time. The only thing I know to do is keep my hands up and try to block punches being thrown my way.

When I first got into the ring I dealt with some merciless ****ers who'd just hit my head repeatedly because my guard was complete ass and I got a concussion after only a few sparring sessions when someone clocked my right on the lower jaw at full force. I took some time off and came back asking my trainer if we could do defense work and he keeps telling me not to worry about it and that it will just come naturally as I spend time in the ring.

I don't understand this mentality at all. I joined this gym because I thought it had a more serious approach to boxing than the other gyms in town, but now that I've seen their methods I can't help but think that they're extremely flawed. How can someone possibly be prepared to get into the ring if they have no idea how to slip a punch. I didn't even know what a counter punch was until I got hit by one.

Where you train? Summit gym in Big Bear?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      Lol 😂 lol 😂 lol 😂 lol 😂

Comment

You find that in many gyms. They tell you to keep your hands up and expect you to figure out the rest because they don't know how to teach it.

Comment

Watch boxing, work on head movement, ask your sparring partners for light work and focus on not getting hit but dont be scared to get hit either, soon you will be able to see punches coming and block/slip/parry.

Your coach could do defensive drills all day with you but nothing comes close to getting in the ring and learning.

Or maybe boxing isnt for you, if youve been training for a year and havent learnt **** all thats on you not the gym, sparring isnt worth the brain damage at that point.

Comment

Lmao post of the year

Comment

lololololololol

Comment

Originally posted by Velerean View Post
                Hello,

I've been boxing for about a year now and I only started sparring 1 month ago. I basically spent that entire time training offensive skills and movement, but I've had absolutely no defensive training during that time. The only thing I know to do is keep my hands up and try to block punches being thrown my way.

When I first got into the ring I dealt with some merciless ****ers who'd just hit my head repeatedly because my guard was complete ass and I got a concussion after only a few sparring sessions when someone clocked my right on the lower jaw at full force. I took some time off and came back asking my trainer if we could do defense work and he keeps telling me not to worry about it and that it will just come naturally as I spend time in the ring.

I don't understand this mentality at all. I joined this gym because I thought it had a more serious approach to boxing than the other gyms in town, but now that I've seen their methods I can't help but think that they're extremely flawed. How can someone possibly be prepared to get into the ring if they have no idea how to slip a punch. I didn't even know what a counter punch was until I got hit by one.
                It seems unusual you took so long to begin sparring in the first place. Around 2-3 months seems to be the norm but 11-12 months before beginning to spar is atypical, at least from my experience. It's only once you're getting clocked that you realise the importance of good defensive work. Winning a fight is as much about not getting punched as it is about doing the punching - it's good you've learned that anyway! Either talk to your coach about being defensively unprepared (e.g. I was concussed because of poor defensive work) or find a new gym altogether. If it was me, I'd probably go for the latter. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Grand View Post
                  It seems unusual you took so long to begin sparring in the first place. Around 2-3 months seems to be the norm but 11-12 months before beginning to spar is atypical, at least from my experience.
                  My experience as well.

Comment

I'd say half the gyms I've seen don't emphasize defense. Even less than that solely rely on sparring to learn defense.

Is it right? No.

Comment

Working...
                    X