No announcement yet.

In-House Fight Night - Dec 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    Yes, in-house. I know the others that have done the event for this gym use similar. I'm going to ask if there is any real benefit, for me, to use 14 oz. during the actual fight. Sure, there is 2 oz. difference, which adds up, but enough for me where I am?
    I recently got some rival 12oz gloves I have for amateur competition to work on mitts in, and I honestly can't tell the difference from the 16oz gloves I spar in (in regards to weight on my hands). I haven't sparred or been hit with the 12 oz yet so we'll see when that happens in Oct lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      I recently got some rival 12oz gloves I have for amateur competition to work on mitts in, and I honestly can't tell the difference from the 16oz gloves I spar in (in regards to weight on my hands). I haven't sparred or been hit with the 12 oz yet so we'll see when that happens in Oct lol.
      It might be the receiver who feels the difference, so your "been hit" might be the key. I'm all about taking advantage of allowed rules as long as it is in the spirit of the competition.

Comment

It might be the receiver who feels the difference, so your "been hit" might be the key. I'm all about taking advantage of allowed rules as long as it is in the spirit of the competition.
        Yeah I'm def with that.

Your biggest advantages are going to be sparring regularly (getting used to breathing in the ring and feeling comfortable), and having the best endurance you possibly can. Eating clean also definitely helps with endurance and performance.

If working a heavy bag doesn't negatively affect your calf as badly, then work that heavy bag for the duration of each round with the duration of rest you'll have with intensity. Don't need to swing for the fences but definitely keep a high pace.

Have you tried k-tape for you calf at all? I use it all the time for various aches and pains I have. Definitely has helped a ton in my experience and there are youtube videos on how you can apply it for various body parts/things.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
          Yeah I'm def with that.

Your biggest advantages are going to be sparring regularly (getting used to breathing in the ring and feeling comfortable), and having the best endurance you possibly can. Eating clean also definitely helps with endurance and performance.

If working a heavy bag doesn't negatively affect your calf as badly, then work that heavy bag for the duration of each round with the duration of rest you'll have with intensity. Don't need to swing for the fences but definitely keep a high pace.

Have you tried k-tape for you calf at all? I use it all the time for various aches and pains I have. Definitely has helped a ton in my experience and there are youtube videos on how you can apply it for various body parts/things.
          Working the bag and mitts don't provoke things too much as long as I don't push it too far.

As far as the k-tape, I can't find if it helps or not. Sometimes I think yes, sometimes no. However I am feeling very encouraged about calf and knee compression. At the same time I got ultra-focused on movements which I now consider a "no-no". Not sure which of those is having the positive outcomes, and I don't care, but things are feeling good. I do know that if I could easily get things flared up if I relax and do dumb things.

Comment

Working the bag and mitts don't provoke things too much as long as I don't push it too far.

As far as the k-tape, I can't find if it helps or not. Sometimes I think yes, sometimes no. However I am feeling very encouraged about calf and knee compression. At the same time I got ultra-focused on movements which I now consider a "no-no". Not sure which of those is having the positive outcomes, and I don't care, but things are feeling good. I do know that if I could easily get things flared up if I relax and do dumb things.
            Good to hear man! I rock some compression socks on days after I lift calves, def helps I think.

Gotta find ways to get that heart rate up while taking care of the body. Wish you continued success!

Comment

Just over a week to go until the actual start of official sessions for Fight Night. The actual boxing coach who is overseeing everything is who I consult and train with though. He also has "Open Ring" nights Monday and Wednesday and I've been attending those. Very valuable stuff.

The rules for this event are (from my memory)
              1 - Must attend weekly live sparring sessions
              2 - Must attend a minimum of 4 sessions a week, which could be a combination of several things, to include the live sparring (see #1)
              3 - The boxers will be grouped into the Red team and the Blue team. Each of those teams will have a "coach" who will also be the person in their corner on Fight Night. Each coach will establish a time/day for additional work. I don't know what this work will be.
              4 - Be able to engage in the fight "safely" meaning if you haven't put in any work, effort, and/or able to compete then you won't be able to participate. This also means against a comparable opponent.

I'm sure the above, and other rules and intents, are similar to other such events all over. They want a fair boxing match which represents the gym well, and keeps everybody as safe as these events can.

Here is what my schedule is NOW, but will change slightly.
              Monday
              5:30 am - Generic boxing fitness, where I don't do the volume but rather slow it down and work technique and get some bag time. I like the energy of the class.
              7:30 pm - Open Boxing. Great stuff at this session. Put on by actual boxing coach.
              Tuesday
              5:30 am - Moderately paced chest/shoulders/triceps workout. Nothing too heavy.
              5:30 pm - Mitts class. Again I slow it down and don't do the "Give me 100 of this, 100 of that, etc" however I do try to get on the edge of comfort and push the pace
              Wednesday
              5:30 am - Fitness boxing. Same approach as others
              7:30 pm - Another open boxing session
              Thursday
              5:30 am - I listen to body and see if I need to take the morning off. If not I do moderately paced back/biceps workout. Again nothing too heavy.
              Evening - Personal workout with boxing coach
              Friday
              5:30 am - If I did not do back/biceps the day before I do it now, along with conditioning. Usually 100 wall balls followed by ring circles then shadow boxing then bag work. Whatever I feel I need but I make sure I do some sort of body weight squatting (with med ball for wall balls) with good form and pausing at the bottom.
              Saturday
              9 am - Boxing fitness, same approach as above
              Sunday
              Stairs, or nothing, or something. Depends.

In the above I try to give "rest days" by doing different types of activities. Because I don't push extremely hard on the resistance training, though I do put forth a certain amount of effort, I consider that "active rest" or maybe more "not stressing the same thing all the time".

Comment

How much I weigh is certainly a factor in my Fight Night, but I'm not going to over-focus on it. I do feel if I keep working I'll hit 240 lbs or just a bit less so I'll call it a loose target. I don't always get my nutrition right but given that I pay attention to how tired I get and the volume of work my wonky calf allows me to do, I'd be ok with that.

Conditioning to get through three rounds is my primary focus. Since I'm having to do boxing type things to increase conditioning my technique and ability to operate in the ring will also improve.

Comment

So you are getting holes on the inside of your gloves? Cut your finger nails. I don't know why you would want to resemble a Sloth with over grown nails in the first place...…..Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 09-20-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    So you are getting holes on the inside of your gloves? Cut your finger nails. I don't know why you would want to resemble a Sloth with over grown nails in the first place...…..Rockin'
                    That's not the issue.

Comment

That's not the issue.
                      I thought that I was replying to a guy who has a hole on the inside of his glove...…….Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X