No announcement yet.

In-House Fight Night - Dec 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    I'm already doing this kind of work. Steady state type things on the bag. I also do basic mitts and also "live" mitts. Some live sparring (reduced speed, some full) but not enough for my teste.
    Live mitts are great, gets the juices flowing.

Comment

Tomorrow I allow myself to go to the next level in sustained effort. I hesitate in increasing too much, too fast, due to my calf/leg. This past week went well so I'm ramping things up a bit to see how things go. In order to be in minimal shape to get through a fight I'm going to keep ramping things up over time.

Comment

The second set of Ringside sparring gloves have began the self-destruct sequence. The first pair had a lining issue, meaning the inside lining began to come loose. This was on the forth (or so) week of use so I turned them in and got a replacement set. This morning after a session I noticed I had specs of little pieces of foam on my hand wraps and sure enough, there is a hole along the seam where the thumb joins the rest of the glove. While it's possible I did that physical damage myself, I'm not sure how as those gloves go from the gym to my vehicle to inside the house and that's it. Did I puncture with my keys somehow? Don't know. However, I won't get that brand or style again. I felt they were at the appropriate level for me.

I'll put a piece of tape over the small hole and continue to use them while I shop for a new pair. I won't use them for sparring as that would possibly cut someone.

Comment

The second set of Ringside sparring gloves have began the self-destruct sequence. The first pair had a lining issue, meaning the inside lining began to come loose. This was on the forth (or so) week of use so I turned them in and got a replacement set. This morning after a session I noticed I had specs of little pieces of foam on my hand wraps and sure enough, there is a hole along the seam where the thumb joins the rest of the glove. While it's possible I did that physical damage myself, I'm not sure how as those gloves go from the gym to my vehicle to inside the house and that's it. Did I puncture with my keys somehow? Don't know. However, I won't get that brand or style again. I felt they were at the appropriate level for me.

I'll put a piece of tape over the small hole and continue to use them while I shop for a new pair. I won't use them for sparring as that would possibly cut someone.
          Order gloves off amazon if possible, then if you have any issues within the first month just return them as defective. Keep the box and tags etc to throw in there.

Otherwise just go for some Rival gloves. I don't recommend Title, but they do have sales or a 20% off if you sign up for their email thing and usually can find some good deals on rival gear for much less.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
            Order gloves off amazon if possible, then if you have any issues within the first month just return them as defective. Keep the box and tags etc to throw in there.

Otherwise just go for some Rival gloves. I don't recommend Title, but they do have sales or a 20% off if you sign up for their email thing and usually can find some good deals on rival gear for much less.
            I bought the Ringside's from the local facility to give them some business and their support was great. No questions. Since I'm not going to use Ringside anymore I will do what you suggested and go the easy-to-return route unless I get the great deal like yo mentioned. I've been doing research and Rival is rated as good as any in the price range.

Comment

I bought the Ringside's from the local facility to give them some business and their support was great. No questions. Since I'm not going to use Ringside anymore I will do what you suggested and go the easy-to-return route unless I get the great deal like yo mentioned. I've been doing research and Rival is rated as good as any in the price range.
              This is my glove story. Started out with some venums (between $49-69 or so off amazon) when I first began, they were fine. Not real leather but a clone of a nicer glove and felt good hitting the mitts and sparring. About 2 weeks in though a seam or something on the inside of the right glove tore and I could tell the glove was loose and started causing a bit of hand problems. I returned those via amazon defective.
              Didn't do much research but after that bought a pair of the Hayabusa T3's (might have got them on sale for $99 otherwise they were like $129 off amazon). Nice enough glove, used pretty good materials but once again not leather. I immediately was having hand pains in both hands from using these. Over a 2 week period I had to ice my hands after every practice and sparring session. I def have heavy hands, but was really making me worried that my hands wouldn't hold up (which I use for work). Did some research and learned it may be how they distribute force, so I returned those defective via amazon no problems.
              Finally did some research, heard about how high quality Rival gloves were and decided to get the RS10v sparring gloves 16 oz (currently $114.99 on amazon, but were more expensive when I bought them, around $130). The hand issues went away and I've been using those for the past 6 months or whatever. Great gloves all around. Cowhide leather, perfect force distribution. Since then I've only bought rival products (other than my boxing shoes and clothes which are Adidas).

Comment

This is my glove story. Started out with some venums (between $49-69 or so off amazon) when I first began, they were fine. Not real leather but a clone of a nicer glove and felt good hitting the mitts and sparring. About 2 weeks in though a seam or something on the inside of the right glove tore and I could tell the glove was loose and started causing a bit of hand problems. I returned those via amazon defective.
                Do you use the same sparring gloves for actual matches?

Comment

UPDATE: New gloves put on order. I did get the Rival RS10V's, so thanks to TCBender for the point. I didn't just order based on what he said as I know people have their favorites, so I did go read and watch many reviews. Thoughts were consistent enough where I went for it and having TCBender's personal input certainly played a part.

I also ordered the optional sleeve to insert a roll of quarters so that's good.

Comment

Do you use the same sparring gloves for actual matches?
                    If it's like an exhibition/in house then as long as they are 16oz I'd use them. I used them for my exhibition.

UPDATE: New gloves put on order. I did get the Rival RS10V's, so thanks to TCBender for the point. I didn't just order based on what he said as I know people have their favorites, so I did go read and watch many reviews. Thoughts were consistent enough where I went for it and having TCBender's personal input certainly played a part.

I also ordered the optional sleeve to insert a roll of quarters so that's good.
                    Aye that's whats up homie! I'm sure you'll love 'em. Mine have held up great! Still like brand new other than a little blood on the stitching.

Comment

If it's like an exhibition/in house then as long as they are 16oz I'd use them. I used them for my exhibition.

Aye that's whats up homie! I'm sure you'll love 'em. Mine have held up great! Still like brand new other than a little blood on the stitching.
                      Yes, in-house. I know the others that have done the event for this gym use similar. I'm going to ask if there is any real benefit, for me, to use 14 oz. during the actual fight. Sure, there is 2 oz. difference, which adds up, but enough for me where I am?

Comment

Working...
                      X