Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing gym won't teach me how to box and it's getting really disheartening.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some gyms even hold like intro classes, a lot of boxing gyms in my area have like an intro training class (some even offer them for free, or free week's etc).

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
      If it a real boxing gym like the one I go to classes will be an hour long Mon-Sat. You will first start with jumping rope or shadow boxing for about 10-15 minutes, Then stretching, then some kind of one on one drills (Counter punching/Catch and throw etc). After that some heavy bag work, then shadow sparring followed by abs.
      That is a typical class but all classes are not exactly the same depending on the instructor.
      That stuff is all out of order. Order is important.
      1. Stretch
      2. Calisthetics
      3. Abs
      4. Jump Rope
      5. Shadow Boxing
      6. Sparring (If Applicable - Ams)
      7. Catch & Shoot
      8. Drills*
      9. Double End Bag (If Applicable)
      10. Heavy Bag
      11. Sparring (If Applicable - Pros)
      12. Drills*
      13. Speed Bag (always at end of workout)
      14. Stretch

* means they can be in either spot.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
        That stuff is all out of order. Order is important.
        1. Stretch
        2. Calisthetics
        3. Abs
        4. Jump Rope
        5. Shadow Boxing
        6. Sparring (If Applicable - Ams)
        7. Catch & Shoot
        8. Drills*
        9. Double End Bag (If Applicable)
        10. Heavy Bag
        11. Sparring (If Applicable - Pros)
        12. Drills*
        13. Speed Bag (always at end of workout)
        14. Stretch

* means they can be in either spot.
        I don't think there's any real set order. I've gone to two gyms and they are very different from each other. It should be what feels comfortable. I've seen guys do different things in gyms. Some guys go on and do their own separate routine completely, others would tweak certain parts.

Starting out, yeah, you should stick to a set schedule. Once you feel more comfortable, you can switch up the routine. As long as you don't do anything crazy at the start of the workout, like heavybag drills, you should be fine.
        Last edited by b Murphington; 05-05-2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
          I don't think there's any real set order. I've gone to two gyms and they are very different from each other. It should be what feels comfortable. I've seen guys do different things in gyms. Some guys go on and do their own separate routine completely, others would tweak certain parts.

Starting out, yeah, you should stick to a set schedule. Once you feel more comfortable, you can switch up the routine. As long as you don't do anything crazy at the start of the workout, like heavybag drills, you should be fine.
          There is an order and the order produces different results. There is a reason why fighters hit the speed bag at the end of the workout or spar before or after the workout, it produces a very specific result.

Out of the three gyms I trained at there was at least 20-25 pro's, two world champs, and one domestic champ. My original trainer used to **** on one of the Fab 4 in sparring from the 80's. So yea, I know my credentials are shít, don't listen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
            There is an order and the order produces different results. There is a reason why fighters hit the speed bag at the end of the workout or spar before or after the workout, it produces a very specific result.

Out of the three gyms I trained at there was at least 20-25 pro's, two world champs, and one domestic champ. My original trainer used to **** on one of the Fab 4 in sparring from the 80's. So yea, I know my credentials are shít, don't listen to me.
            And my original coach was trained by Tony Zale and himself was on the national team in Ireland. My current coach was a national champion in El Salvador in the 90's and has trained professional fighters.

I'm not saying your order is wrong. If it works for you, it works. I'm saying there isn't a one size fits all and that's true in all walks of life.

Comment

Originally posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
              I've been going to the boxing gym for nearly 3 months now for 3 times per week as advised.
              I told them before coming that my goal was to start competing and I was told to come along at the time which boxfit class is on.
              However I've been doing this for the past 3 months now, hitting bags and various calisthenics as part of a class for an hour, but I haven't once been shown any proper technique or how to even throw a punch correctly.
              On the bright side I've now became a regular and all the other regulars now know me.
              Still though, it seems most other people who attend are able to do padwork, but they only seem interested in doing more direct training with kids the majority of the time.
              It also seems a bit limited in direct training anyway, which makes me concerned about not being able to train hard enough.
              What should I do? I'm already a late starter and feel that the more times goes on like this, the less chance I have of being any good at boxing.
              Bruv what i always do before i join a gym is to look at their website and do some research on a few things

Usually things i look are

If they have an active fight team

If they have amatuer and pro fighters representing the club and how well they do

Who are the trainers? Former fighters , have they churned out any national champions, have they got Amatuer champs, Olympians or Common wealth fighters etc

Then i let them know i want to box for the club. I trained hard and god bless i was approached by the club owner who was a former pro fighter who fought a big name or two and had an Area title whom asked me if was wanting to box for the club. I said yes.

Sometimes the coaches look at whose doing well to assess the level you are at.

Our classes included a lot of fitness and hard sparring. It was brutal at times and alot of technical boxing classes.

We had a few champion Amatuer fighters and one of our pro fighters was a title holder and fought on sky sports.

I boxed in the Amatuers and the gym was good.

Well structured and would get you up to Amatuer level pretty quick depending on the individual

Hope that helps man

Comment

Originally posted by i_am_a_champ View Post
                Bruv what i always do before i join a gym is to look at their website and do some research on a few things

Usually things i look are

If they have an active fight team

If they have amatuer and pro fighters representing the club and how well they do

Who are the trainers? Former fighters , have they churned out any national champions, have they got Amatuer champs, Olympians or Common wealth fighters etc

Then i let them know i want to box for the club. I trained hard and god bless i was approached by the club owner who was a former pro fighter who fought a big name or two and had an Area title whom asked me if was wanting to box for the club. I said yes.

Sometimes the coaches look at whose doing well to assess the level you are at.

Our classes included a lot of fitness and hard sparring. It was brutal at times and alot of technical boxing classes.

We had a few champion Amatuer fighters and one of our pro fighters was a title holder and fought on sky sports.

I boxed in the Amatuers and the gym was good.

Well structured and would get you up to Amatuer level pretty quick depending on the individual

Hope that helps man
                ^^^^ that's actually a pretty solid breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  ^^^^ that's actually a pretty solid breakdown.

Thanks man hope it helps him

Those amatuer boxing days were some of the best in my life

Such courageuos young men who were obliterated by the intense fitness training we were given and then only to spar at the end of the session when you were absolutley drained.

I was going to pass out one time when we did the strength and conditioning, body weight exercises followed by plyometrics. I thought we were gonna do technique next and i could rest.

Instead we were going to spar and i was sparring an extremley game kid who was a slugger who hit hard.

I was the fastest in the gym but this kid could deal with speed and would take a hit any moment just to get in and land his own

This kid had an eternal gas tank. Mine was wasted. I gradually got better gas tank when i started doing hundreds of squat jumps and burpees every other day as well as jogging and then 3-4 rounds of shuttle sprints.

If your legs are solid you breathe easy and its a great thing i learned.

Anyway this kid ****ing would brutalise me always. I would try to fight back. He hit me so hard one day with a left hook that i heard whistling when people talked for a week.

Later i found out it was a sign of concussion haha.

Boxing i love u

Train hard gentleman

Comment

Find some real boxing gym if possible. Make sure it doesn't read any other sports than boxing on the board. Those mfers are scammers, claiming 'not only to teach boxing but some other arts/stuff as well'. Boxing takes a lifetime, that's not fitness or some other small concept which can be taught along with other g4y stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by i_am_a_champ View Post
                      Thanks man hope it helps him

Those amatuer boxing days were some of the best in my life

Such courageuos young men who were obliterated by the intense fitness training we were given and then only to spar at the end of the session when you were absolutley drained.

I was going to pass out one time when we did the strength and conditioning, body weight exercises followed by plyometrics. I thought we were gonna do technique next and i could rest.

Instead we were going to spar and i was sparring an extremley game kid who was a slugger who hit hard.

I was the fastest in the gym but this kid could deal with speed and would take a hit any moment just to get in and land his own

This kid had an eternal gas tank. Mine was wasted. I gradually got better gas tank when i started doing hundreds of squat jumps and burpees every other day as well as jogging and then 3-4 rounds of shuttle sprints.

If your legs are solid you breathe easy and its a great thing i learned.

Anyway this kid ****ing would brutalise me always. I would try to fight back. He hit me so hard one day with a left hook that i heard whistling when people talked for a week.

Later i found out it was a sign of concussion haha.

Boxing i love u

Train hard gentleman
                      Do you have any footage of any of your fights?

Comment

Working...
                      X