Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing gym won't teach me how to box and it's getting really disheartening.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing gym won't teach me how to box and it's getting really disheartening.

I've been going to the boxing gym for nearly 3 months now for 3 times per week as advised.
    I told them before coming that my goal was to start competing and I was told to come along at the time which boxfit class is on.
    However I've been doing this for the past 3 months now, hitting bags and various calisthenics as part of a class for an hour, but I haven't once been shown any proper technique or how to even throw a punch correctly.
    On the bright side I've now became a regular and all the other regulars now know me.
    Still though, it seems most other people who attend are able to do padwork, but they only seem interested in doing more direct training with kids the majority of the time.
    It also seems a bit limited in direct training anyway, which makes me concerned about not being able to train hard enough.
    What should I do? I'm already a late starter and feel that the more times goes on like this, the less chance I have of being any good at boxing.

You might do go elsewhere! Go to Robert Garcia in California! Them guys have a wealth of knowledge and very down to earth and will help you! Just being in that gym alone should do the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
      I've been going to the boxing gym for nearly 3 months now for 3 times per week as advised.
      I told them before coming that my goal was to start competing and I was told to come along at the time which boxfit class is on.
      However I've been doing this for the past 3 months now, hitting bags and various calisthenics as part of a class for an hour, but I haven't once been shown any proper technique or how to even throw a punch correctly.
      On the bright side I've now became a regular and all the other regulars now know me.
      Still though, it seems most other people who attend are able to do padwork, but they only seem interested in doing more direct training with kids the majority of the time.
      It also seems a bit limited in direct training anyway, which makes me concerned about not being able to train hard enough.
      What should I do? I'm already a late starter and feel that the more times goes on like this, the less chance I have of being any good at boxing.

Maybe look into a different gym, there may be trainers that you can pay for one on one training. I've never been to boxfit classes but was always under the impression that these types of classes were pretty much based with fitness in mind and with no real intention of teaching people anything substantial. Good luck with whatever you do tho chap

Comment

Bring your concerns to the people who run the class.

If your paying for boxing lessons and your not getting any direction ask why your not!

Sounds like your in a boxing class and not a boxing gym!
        Instructors and coaches are for other sports in boxing you need an experienced trainer.

good luck, Ray

Comment

Sounds like a "kick fit" gym instead of a real boxing club. You need to find an Actual boxing club. They have those gay little kickbox fit schools everywhere around dallas, but only a handful of actual boxing clubs. Keep trying different gyms till you find the right one. It took me a while to find the one im at now. Look for one where they actually spar on certain nights

Comment

Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
            Maybe look into a different gym, there may be trainers that you can pay for one on one training. I've never been to boxfit classes but was always under the impression that these types of classes were pretty much based with fitness in mind and with no real intention of teaching people anything substantial. Good luck with whatever you do tho chap
            That's the problem it's the only boxing gym in my area. The classes I've been attending so far are pretty much based on fitness your right.
            Also they are called an "Amateur Boxing Club" so that makes me think they're about training would-be boxers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote142 View Post
              ... those gay little kickbox fit schools everywhere...

Comment

That's the problem it's the only boxing gym in my area. The classes I've been attending so far are pretty much based on fitness your right.
                Also they are called an "Amateur Boxing Club" so that makes me think they're about training would-be boxers as well.
                I've seen boxing clubs locally to me offer such fitness classes to earn a quick buck from the cardio lovers. If its a proper boxing club they may do different sessions at different times. As you said your starting late ( am i right to assume 86 is your birth year) you might find some gyms less eager to spend quality time with you. It might mean you may have to travel a bit further a field to find a decent club. There may be more clubs locally then you think also, where i live ( a small city in england) i thought there was only 1 or 2 clubs, looking deeper there is 6-7 clubs within a 10 mile radius just not well advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
                  I've seen boxing clubs locally to me offer such fitness classes to earn a quick buck from the cardio lovers. If its a proper boxing club they may do different sessions at different times. As you said your starting late ( am i right to assume 86 is your birth year) you might find some gyms less eager to spend quality time with you. It might mean you may have to travel a bit further a field to find a decent club. There may be more clubs locally then you think also, where i live ( a small city in england) i thought there was only 1 or 2 clubs, looking deeper there is 6-7 clubs within a 10 mile radius just not well advertised.
                  They do offer different classes and activities throughout the day. They have "121" earlier in the day. When I'm there though, it only seems to be kids who get to do all the training to fight in the ring ****.
                  They told me to come along to the boxfit class to "get built up"

What makes you think I was born in 1986? I'm 20 years old and will be 21 this year.

I really wish I started boxing even just a couple of years ago. The only comfort I have is examples of other successful boxers who didn't start till my age or older. Sorry if that sounds pathetic.

Comment

They do offer different classes and activities throughout the day. They have "121" earlier in the day. When I'm there though, it only seems to be kids who get to do all the training to fight in the ring ****.
                    They told me to come along to the boxfit class to "get built up"

What makes you think I was born in 1986? I'm 20 years old and will be 21 this year.

I really wish I started boxing even just a couple of years ago. The only comfort I have is examples of other successful boxers who didn't start till my age or older. Sorry if that sounds pathetic.
                    86 on the end of your username, see lots of people use there birth year at the end of their names.

Just stick with it chap, voice your concerns and see what happens. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                    X