Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing gym won't teach me how to box and it's getting really disheartening.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
    86 on the end of your username, see lots of people use there birth year at the end of their names.

Just stick with it chap, voice your concerns and see what happens. Keep us posted.
    Ha! I thought the same thing when I saw the username end in 86

Comment

Stay after class and ask one of the instructors to work with you a little each day.

Comment

Originally posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
        I've been going to the boxing gym for nearly 3 months now for 3 times per week as advised.
        I told them before coming that my goal was to start competing and I was told to come along at the time which boxfit class is on.
        However I've been doing this for the past 3 months now, hitting bags and various calisthenics as part of a class for an hour, but I haven't once been shown any proper technique or how to even throw a punch correctly.
        On the bright side I've now became a regular and all the other regulars now know me.
        Still though, it seems most other people who attend are able to do padwork, but they only seem interested in doing more direct training with kids the majority of the time.
        It also seems a bit limited in direct training anyway, which makes me concerned about not being able to train hard enough.
        What should I do? I'm already a late starter and feel that the more times goes on like this, the less chance I have of being any good at boxing.
        Change the boxing gym. You need to find somewhere which is hard as nails to workout from, you will learn damn fast.

In my gym, while sparing, the instructor walks out of the boxing hall and tells people what goes on he won’t know about, ie try to kill the opposition and he won’t be there to stop it.

Comment

I've been going to the boxing gym for nearly 3 months now for 3 times per week as advised.

I told them before coming that my goal was to start competing and I was told to come along at the time which boxfit class is on.

However I've been doing this for the past 3 months now, hitting bags and various calisthenics as part of a class for an hour, but I haven't once been shown any proper technique or how to even throw a punch correctly.

On the bright side I've now became a regular and all the other regulars now know me.

Still though, it seems most other people who attend are able to do padwork, but they only seem interested in doing more direct training with kids the majority of the time.
          It also seems a bit limited in direct training anyway, which makes me concerned about not being able to train hard enough.

What should I do? I'm already a late starter and feel that the more times goes on like this, the less chance I have of being any good at boxing.
          Boxfit? Get out of there and find like a Boys Club or ask around where a real gym is. Many times you can't find them on the web.

Comment

If it a real boxing gym like the one I go to classes will be an hour long Mon-Sat. You will first start with jumping rope or shadow boxing for about 10-15 minutes, Then stretching, then some kind of one on one drills (Counter punching/Catch and throw etc). After that some heavy bag work, then shadow sparring followed by abs.
            That is a typical class but all classes are not exactly the same depending on the instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
              Boxfit? Get out of there and find like a Boys Club or ask around where a real gym is. Many times you can't find them on the web.
              isn't boxfit similar to an aerobics class?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                isn't boxfit similar to an aerobics class?
                Probably, that's my guess.

Comment

You say some of the other members have gotten to know you now. Have you talked to them about the extent of their amateur experience? How long were they members before trainers started to take more of an interest in them or what got trainers to take more of an active interest n them?

But yea as others have mentioned approaching trainers directly and see whats up or if you can buy some direct training if you got the spare money to do so. Doing things to stay fit probably works well enough for people just looking to get or stay in shape via boxing, but to really learn boxing to compete there is a lot more details they should be working with you instead of likely leading you into bad habits that'll reduce how good you can get or just need correction at some future date anyway by just allowing you to do basic sh^t with no direction.

Comment

I advise watching some reputable Youtube channels which demonstrate technique/form, use that as something to start with.
                    Secondly I agree with the rest here, check your other boxing gyms, If you're a regular and they're not letting you hit the pads or even spar... Why are you even there, you're honestly wasting your money.
                    You should be asking for some cash back honestly man, my first time in a bunch of boxing classes I was given training with the pads and was allowed to spar.

I do understand having safety rules in place, but in your case it seems like they're taking you for a fool, no offense.

Comment

Is it an ABC? the first thing on day one i got taught was stance and jab and was told to just drill jab jab jab jab jab jab jab over and over again on different bags and then the coach would come around and critique it saying do this or that better. If you havent been taught the basics by now id say go elsewhere because it's not looking good

Comment

Working...
                      X