Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jab-only sparring (videos), please critique!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jab-only sparring (videos), please critique!

R1

R2

I'm in the white headgear. There's not much to see but I had an idea of focusing on the jab in sparring. I wanted to practise feints, slips, counters, creating distance, faking the jab to the body, and sticking my lead hand in his face etc, although I wasn't always aware of all those things at the same time.
    I had a slight height and reach advantage.

As always I'm grateful for any advice. Be as harsh as you like.

Also, perhaps "jab-only sparring" isn't a good idea - i.e I might pick up bad habits. What do you think?
    Last edited by AaronJW; 02-06-2018, 11:39 AM.

It is a good idea; I have heard of a number of trainers that use that. I like to do a round of jab only and a round of left hand only. If nothing else you should learn how to use your right defensively.

Comment

Good, we do this also. My advice to you is that train it as if your opponent is allowed to use everything. Also you can move much faster if you take at least your lead heel off the floor and stay tip toed.

Comment

Jab only sparring a great idea is a great idea for those starting out or needs to focus on it. I agree with the advice that YOU should work everything as if your opponent can do everything. Two things, among others, that his type of sparring helps is that you are not overwhelmed with all that COULD happen. You get to practice your jab defense and get used to things being thrown at you and you also don't get distracted with a large amount of things you COULD do. If you keep yourself working good defense as if he could throw anything, then you are that much better off when you spar full-go.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
          It is a good idea; I have heard of a number of trainers that use that. I like to do a round of jab only and a round of left hand only. If nothing else you should learn how to use your right defensively.
          Yes, I've seen a few trainers apply this exact technique in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
            Good, we do this also. My advice to you is that train it as if your opponent is allowed to use everything. Also you can move much faster if you take at least your lead heel off the floor and stay tip toed.
            Was going to say the same thing, looks good but only thing would be look a little flat footed/heavy footed at times. Try stay lighter on your feet

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll practise keeping on my toes

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
                Thanks everyone! I'll practise keeping on my toes
                Post up some more when you film next time.

Comment

My trainer used to do this with us at my gym. It's a really great training exercise.

You just need to make your jab stronger. It's should always extend all the way and be stiff as a lead pipe. I noticed you're just slapping it out there hoping to land (sorry if rude). Good footwork and lateral movement though! Your distance management is pretty fine too

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
                    As always I'm grateful for any advice. Be as harsh as you like.

Also, perhaps "jab-only sparring" isn't a good idea - i.e I might pick up bad habits. What do you think?
                    Bad idea, look at your tape dude! Are you happy with it? If yes, you shouldn't be. I stopped before finishing the first video --- too many mistakes to comment.

Both of y'all aren't rechambering your jab. Y'all jab, hit surface, and let it hang in the wind or drop back and under to position. You're learning how to make yourself open for a counter right hand which is a pretty bad habit.

You throw the jab and don't bring it back. All the power is lost!

Jabbing is about snap. To create snap you need to bring the jab hand directly back to your guard twice as fast as it left (or think that mentally). It's like giving some a rat tail with a towel. You kind of lob the towel out then jerk it back to create the snap. Same thing with punching. Snap IS power.

Imagine you're punching a face of molten lava and the longer you touch it the more you burn your hand. Punch, hit, retract twice as fast as you threw it.

Never spar with just jabs, it's not good for you mentally.

Learn how to catch and shoot or as the old timers call it: peck and shoot. Great way to build reaction from isolated punching/sparrring without being hit. You train reaction, distance, snap, technique, defense, and learn counterpunching all at once. Start with jab then move into other situations where you can peck and shoot. It's a very mutual and beneficial drill.

Good luck!

EDIT:

Uggh, I had to watch part of the 2nd video.

So your footwork is backwards.

0:23 - 0:25 you're moving left but stepping left with your rear foot which makes you cross your feet. When you cross your feet you creat a 'window' to being knocked down. If I punch at your centerline (lets say I step left and punch down the middle of your guard) when you're doing that you'll get dropped from very little power. You should be stepping with the left, but pushing off with the right foot. Push off (right foot) + step (left foot), then step (right foot) back into position. Rinse/repeat.

Whatever direction you move in you push off the opposite foot. Move left, push off your right foot. Move right, push off with your left foot. Never cross your legs.
                    Last edited by McNulty; 02-10-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X