Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jab-only sparring (videos), please critique!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You also cross your feet and sometimes are leading with the wrong foot when moving that direction. ie leadwith your left foot first when moving to the left. Your feet are getting too close when moving sometimes as well (like you are tapping your ankles together almost)

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      You also cross your feet and sometimes are leading with the wrong foot when moving that direction. ie leadwith your left foot first when moving to the left. Your feet are getting too close when moving sometimes as well (like you are tapping your ankles together almost)
      I was thinking some of this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        You're obviously a newbie, having said that I must add great ****in' job. I watched you touch him in his belly and then follow up with some upstairs. I saw you feint, you did nothing with it, but atleast somebodies whisperin' good things to you. In time you will not let a guy just walk in with out doing something about it. And in time your eyes will get sharp and you will grow a ton. Nice work........Rockin'
        Thanks!
        Actually there were a lot of things I had learned about the jab/lead hand from Youtube which I wanted to try out, so I'm glad you noticed.
        Unfortunately my trainer hasn't taught me anything about that, I had to learn it myself.
        Once I learned how Mayweather would show his lead hand, then jab to the body. Then after doing that a few times, he would feint to the body then throw a left hook to the head when they drop their guard.
        So I tried it out in sparring a while back and it worked perfectly first time!

Comment

The jabs looked a little slow and pushed, not very snappy. Try to imagine the jab exploding out like a cannon. Also make sure you get your hand back to guard your face. While I get that its a jab only spar you don't want to develop bad habits. Leaving your jab out there on the way back will get you smashed by a hook. A couple of the slips looked good. You do look a bit flat footed and your footwork could be a little better. You were a little too much on the backfoot it looked like.

Also you generally odn't want to circle the same direction the whole time in a fight.

Second round looked a little better I thought. Are you tense in your hands/shoulders/arms?
          Thanks for the advice!
          I did some real sparring today but I completely forgot about my lazy jab and poor footwork. I'll work on it.
          As for the arm/shoulder tension, that's one thing people have always been saying about me since I started. Any advice to improve that?

Thanks. This is stuff I know but completely forget about in sparring. I'll practise it when shadow bowing.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
            Thanks for the advice!
            I did some real sparring today but I completely forgot about my lazy jab and poor footwork. I'll work on it.
            As for the arm/shoulder tension, that's one thing people have always been saying about me since I started. Any advice to improve that?

Thanks. This is stuff I know but completely forget about in sparring. I'll practise it when shadow bowing.
            I would run actual drills to practice this outside of shadow boxing as well. Everyday when I run at each cul-de-sac I get to I go round a couple times practicing my footwork (start forward, flip to moving left, flip to moving backwards, flip to moving right and then work in some head movement when switching ie duck to the right when moving your foot right to start the movement and vice verse going left)

As far as being tense its still a bit of an issue that I have. I'm a bit of a high strung individual by nature, I think its the German in me. Before each round starts I do some windmills with my arms and then shake them out. I've drilled in keeping my hand loose until the point of impact, and make sure that I'm not clenching my fists in my gloves when in my stance. As the tension starting in my fists is causing more tension in my arms and shoulders. I then make sure to relax and breathe. I try to remind myself to focus, but always feel pretty zoned out in there like I'm not thinking.

You looked good, keep your confidence and run some drills to help work on these issues

Comment

I would run actual drills to practice this outside of shadow boxing as well. Everyday when I run at each cul-de-sac I get to I go round a couple times practicing my footwork (start forward, flip to moving left, flip to moving backwards, flip to moving right and then work in some head movement when switching ie duck to the right when moving your foot right to start the movement and vice verse going left)

As far as being tense its still a bit of an issue that I have. I'm a bit of a high strung individual by nature, I think its the German in me. Before each round starts I do some windmills with my arms and then shake them out. I've drilled in keeping my hand loose until the point of impact, and make sure that I'm not clenching my fists in my gloves when in my stance. As the tension starting in my fists is causing more tension in my arms and shoulders. I then make sure to relax and breathe. I try to remind myself to focus, but always feel pretty zoned out in there like I'm not thinking.

You looked good, keep your confidence and run some drills to help work on these issues
              Are you going to post some more to show off the progress?

Comment

Working...
              X