No announcement yet.

Taking a shot on the jaw/chin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    You don't know whether you have a glass jaw or not in your first sparring sessions. You haven't even developed your reflexes, defensive responses, you're still working on posture, etc. Focus on your technique and stop hitting yourself in the fkin chin, FFS....
    Hahaha i don't mean i mean ko'ing myself lol i meant just slightly tapping on the chin with gloves on....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      Having a good chin is about how tough you are. Most people would like to tell you it's all about thickness of skull, jaw structure, etc. but that's bull****. Fighters with good chins come in all shapes and sizes. Marciano, Dempsey, Lamotta, and Hagler. Those guys were tough as nails and all had great chins. A guy that makes excuses all the time isn't going to have a good chin because deep down he possesses an external locus of control. So you have to take charge so to speak and have a fighting mentality like "It's either him or me and it sure as hell isn't going to be me!"
      I disagree mate but to each their own opinion.

I just think it's something out of a persons control....it's like saying someone doesn't punch hard as the next man because he's not as vicious as them....

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
        Learning how to stay calm helps your chin a lot.

If your really tense getting punched hurts way more. Also you said you sparred a bigger opponent.

Fighting a bigger guy is WAY harder, and their puches hurt way more.

Also if you don't work you neck muscles, they may be weak.
        True...but both guys were holding back quite a bit on their punches...god knows what would have happened if they put in full power.

And yeah i've started doing some neck workouts....just the hanging off the edge of the ring and lifting my neck up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by GGGKO1 View Post
          I disagree mate but to each their own opinion.

I just think it's something out of a persons control....it's like saying someone doesn't punch hard as the next man because he's not as vicious as them....
          A lot of guys just flat out give up in the ring and/or before they even get in there.

Comment

It's natural... everyone react differently. I have a very sensitive thighs. Don't worry you'll develop stamina with time.

Comment

True...but both guys were holding back quite a bit on their punches...god knows what would have happened if they put in full power.

And yeah i've started doing some neck workouts....just the hanging off the edge of the ring and lifting my neck up and down.
              Not trying to insult you but giving how new you are to boxing your own punches thrown correctly will rattle your head a little. It's way more noticeable when you start later in life. But the impact from punches strengthens the whole body over time and it will take time to adjust.

I suggest you right now get up and work on throwing the jab all the way to the shoulder so that your shoulder pops up into you chin, make sure you are punching something so there is an impact ....Feel that? Your neck and shoulder muscles will get stronger to stop that and you will naturally brace yourself.

Comment

You figure it out pretty quick normally the first time you take a real punch/uppercut to the jaw if you'r still stood and not dazed that jaw is solid if you get dazed slightly i would try to keep it out the way or be ready for the next one coming and then there is glass it is pretty much good night haha

Comment

Did you know straight away whether you could hold a shot or not from your first couple of sparring sessions or did it take you a while to figure out whether you had a glass jaw or not?

I ask because after a couple of ''light'' sparring sessions i had with two guys about 20 pounds bigger than me i was stunned a few times and i'm worried i'm packing glass. Both my sparring partners were more experienced than me so they took it easy on me and went at about 60% power wise and yet they still managed to stun me.

I'm obviously now thinking what will happen when i spar someone who goes in full power....i'm worried i'll get knocked the fck out.

I'll obviously end up finding out myself in further sparring sessions but until i do any of you guys have any personal experiences of this to share?

Thanks.

Only you know how hard your sparring partners hit...taken shots has a bit getting used to then you know when or if you can take a legit hit. Mental toughness also helps but ion the end its up to you to withstand a punch...My friend is a HW pro/sparring partner and has fought top guys like Wilder...his main weakness? Chin! Larry Holmes trained this guy and said he was the hardest hitter he had in his gym years back,i also fought this guy no gloves....and DIDNT get knocked out...lol

You can get used to taking a punch but you cant train a chin.....you either have one or not. I knew a lot of tough fighters who can hit hard but couldn't take a punch. I used to get beat up all the time by big bro who was a k.o artist but never fell....so I had a great measuring stick. If you cant take a punch por not keep at it,you will improve somewhere and its better than not improving in general.the art is not to get hit,if you get knocked out...well thats the game.you cant be afraid to get hit but be aware of the hit..MENTAl strength is important.
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 07-25-2016, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I'd start worrying if you get wobbled by a jab

Comment

Working...
                    X