No announcement yet.

Taking a shot on the jaw/chin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a shot on the jaw/chin

Did you know straight away whether you could hold a shot or not from your first couple of sparring sessions or did it take you a while to figure out whether you had a glass jaw or not?

I ask because after a couple of ''light'' sparring sessions i had with two guys about 20 pounds bigger than me i was stunned a few times and i'm worried i'm packing glass. Both my sparring partners were more experienced than me so they took it easy on me and went at about 60% power wise and yet they still managed to stun me.

I'm obviously now thinking what will happen when i spar someone who goes in full power....i'm worried i'll get knocked the fck out.

I'll obviously end up finding out myself in further sparring sessions but until i do any of you guys have any personal experiences of this to share?

Thanks.

Is it normal to feel the back of your brain rattle slightly when you kinda jab yourself on the jaw lol ?

Like just when you slightly tap yourself on the jawline.....can anyone else feel the back of their brain rattle ever so slightly?

Or is that only happening to me coz i'm packing a chin/jaw that won't be able to hold a strong shot?

Comment

When I get hit I smell blood....I can literally smell it....men are all different some have higher resistance....I can take punches to the head all day....touch my ribs tho and I go down haha

Comment

But as the saying goes the best chin is the one that doesn't get hit

Comment

You don't know whether you have a glass jaw or not in your first sparring sessions. You haven't even developed your reflexes, defensive responses, you're still working on posture, etc. Focus on your technique and stop hitting yourself in the fkin chin, FFS....

Comment

The people that get the worst injuries are the ones that have a strong chin, because they keep taking hit after hit and teh brain gets damaged. (unless they are obserdly strong chinned like Holyfield then it doesn't do much)

A weak chin guy goes out in 1 shot but it does virtually no damage.

Both strong chins and weak chins evolved for good reasons, and both were successful in evolution.

This doesn't answer your question but it is my thoughts typed down.

Comment

worst punch i took to the jaw, i took 3 hooks and i saw stars, but i composed myself and proceeded to win the fight by knockout.

Comment

I knew I had a good chin after my first tough street fight back in the day when I was in middle school (2006). A thick, solid Samoan soccer player caught me clean with a big right hand, full force. I saw a white flash then all black but recovered in seconds. I saw the fear of God in his eyes once he realized I could take his best shot and in doing so he only pissed me off more. From there it was an easy fight. I devastated him with one-twos before knocking him out cold with a field goal kick. I had a headache for about two or three days though. Getting hit in the head is no joke.

When you get into a tough fight you'll know whether you have a glass chin.

Comment

Originally posted by GGGKO1 View Post
                  Did you know straight away whether you could hold a shot or not from your first couple of sparring sessions or did it take you a while to figure out whether you had a glass jaw or not?

I ask because after a couple of ''light'' sparring sessions i had with two guys about 20 pounds bigger than me i was stunned a few times and i'm worried i'm packing glass. Both my sparring partners were more experienced than me so they took it easy on me and went at about 60% power wise and yet they still managed to stun me.

I'm obviously now thinking what will happen when i spar someone who goes in full power....i'm worried i'll get knocked the fck out.

I'll obviously end up finding out myself in further sparring sessions but until i do any of you guys have any personal experiences of this to share?

Thanks.
                  Having a good chin is about how tough you are. Most people would like to tell you it's all about thickness of skull, jaw structure, etc. but that's bull****. Fighters with good chins come in all shapes and sizes. Marciano, Dempsey, Lamotta, and Hagler. Those guys were tough as nails and all had great chins. A guy that makes excuses all the time isn't going to have a good chin because deep down he possesses an external locus of control. So you have to take charge so to speak and have a fighting mentality like "It's either him or me and it sure as hell isn't going to be me!"

I haven't ever been hurt by a punch but that maybe do to a number of things like fighting a guy who doesn't punch hard. I also am good at blocking punches so that is a big reason too. Don't let a guy hit you clean either. Always be elusive and have your hands up. The fighter who keep their hands down are begging to get knocked out.

Comment

Learning how to stay calm helps your chin a lot.

If your really tense getting punched hurts way more. Also you said you sparred a bigger opponent.

Fighting a bigger guy is WAY harder, and their puches hurt way more.

Also if you don't work you neck muscles, they may be weak.

Comment

Working...
                    X