Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting on muscle to enhance power is for idiots?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Too dumb to comment on, probably a dull tard troll attempting to make me feel dumb when its he who is the dumbo wasting time tricking ppl on the net, with tricks that can be impossible to see coming?
    Jokes or serious? Are you actually suggesting that all boxers lose their size and we all be skinny people focused on fitness? I'm merely suggesting that it's idiotic to say that muscle doesn't add to strength. That's the sole purpose of muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by motivational View Post
      Jokes or serious? Are you actually suggesting that all boxers lose their size and we all be skinny people focused on fitness? I'm merely suggesting that it's idiotic to say that muscle doesn't add to strength. That's the sole purpose of muscle.
      Optimally they should look a bit like a lower weight category Olympic weight lifter, but a bit less hypertrophy (in terms of mass) and they do often times, but the mass isnt the right type of mass, it should be as much pure myofribular hypertrophy and as little sacoplasmic as possible

Last edited by AlexKid; 05-26-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Optimally they should look a bit like a lower weight category Olympic weight lifter, but a bit less hypertrophy (in terms of mass) and they do often times, but the mass isnt the right type of mass, it should be as much pure myofribular hypertrophy and as little sacoplasmic as possible

People don't want to watch 60KG men fight though. They want super-humans with the power to kill one another with a single punch. That's why we watch the olympics and stuff, we want to see freaks.

You also need to consider the difference between low reps (training for muscular strength and actually getting stronger) and high reps (training for muscular endurance to last longer)

Most modern fighters train for reps of eight because they will build strength and muscular endurance.

Your method would work to an extent, but being huge and muscular has its advantages. Good luck beating someone like Mike Tyson with stamina and no muscle.

Comment

hIPS ARE MOST IMPORTANT BY FAR
          You're missing the power of a blow landing undetected and unknown.

The magnification of the blow is immeasurable, depths unknown

..........undetected and unknown. Turning true skill......

Comment

People don't want to watch 60KG men fight though. They want super-humans with the power to kill one another with a single punch. That's why we watch the olympics and stuff, we want to see freaks.

You also need to consider the difference between low reps (training for muscular strength and actually getting stronger) and high reps (training for muscular endurance to last longer)

Most modern fighters train for reps of eight because they will build strength and muscular endurance.

Your method would work to an extent, but being huge and muscular has its advantages. Good luck beating someone like Mike Tyson with stamina and no muscle.
            This is the last response because people are either r-tarded or trolling me.

8 reps creates WORSE endurance than 3 rep max, when part of periodisation. Its an inferior way to train. The greater strength gains translate to better endurance further down the line in a training camp.

I did say at HW it is sometimes wise to put on weight any weight tactically to increase power, but this is a risky tactic as it decreases work rate/ endurance which is usually more useful in a fight than power. But it is still the right tactic sometimes. I would argue controversially that they are better off putting that weight on in fat than bodybuilding muscle because it still adds the power and doesn't tax cardio so much, no one does this intentionally that im aware of, but it makes logical sense.
            Last edited by AlexKid; 05-27-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              You're missing the power of a blow landing undetected and unknown.

The magnification of the blow is immeasurable, depths unknown

..........undetected and unknown. Turning true skill......
              very true rock, its SO often the one they dont see that totally takes them out

Comment

8 reps creates WORSE endurance than 3 rep max, when part of periodisation. Its an inferior way to train. The greater strength gains translate to better endurance further down the line in a training camp.

I did say at HW it is sometimes wise to put on weight any weight tactically to increase power, but this is a risky tactic as it decreases work rate/ endurance which is usually more useful in a fight than power. But it is still the right tactic sometimes. I would argue controversially that they are better off putting that weight on in fat than bodybuilding muscle because it still adds the power and doesn't tax cardio so much, no one does this intentionally that im aware of, but it makes logical sense.
                You underestimate power......

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  You underestimate power......
                  Maybe I am at HW

Problem is power allows you to obliterate guys that dont have a strong chin. When you get to a guy that can take your punch the extra weight will count against you.

Comment

No? Higher reps = more endurance

Do you know more about how the body functions than The American College of Sports Medicine? I highly doubt.

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends using a program of lower intensity strength training to improve muscular endurance. The weight load should be less than 50% of the repetition maximum (the maximum weight you could use for one repetition of the exercise). This is a light to moderate intensity load. Then you perform a relatively high number of repetitions, 15-25 per set, for one or two sets.
                    Then you perform a relatively high number of repetitions
                    Most of the stuff you are saying is blatantly wrong. I've done A-level biology and A-level PE and everything I've learnt goes completely against what you're saying. You're also saying words that sound complicated completely out of context in order to create the effect that you know what you're talking about.

The greater strength gains translate to better endurance further down the line
                    What? Muscular strength and muscular endurance are two completely different things. My gym partner benches and weighs the exact same as me, yet I can do far more pullups and chinups. His muscles simply burn out faster than mine. Surprise surprise, he does reps of five and I do reps of eight to twelve. As I said, doing training with low reps will make you stronger but your muscles will burn out faster.

I would argue controversially that they are better off putting that weight on in fat than bodybuilding muscle because it still adds the power and doesn't tax cardio so much, no one does this intentionally that im aware of, but it makes logical sense
                    That doesn't make sense. As I said the force of a punch is the mass x speed and by adding fat, you will drop your speed dramatically and your punch will be nowhere near as powerful. You will gain weight which will increase the power you produce but it will do so much damage to your speed and stamina that it just isn't worth it.

Want proof? Let's compare Dillian Whyte and Joshua's physique, Joshua has far less fat and more muscle and he lasted fine all the way until round seven when he KOd Dillian. So it seems your little theory is incorrect.

For a 170 lb. athlete, a fat gain of 3.4 lbs. (2%), could result in a vertical jump height loss of 2”, and a 40 yard dash time increase of 0.26 seconds. If you are not familiar with the 40 yard dash, 0.26 seconds is an eternity. This is the same sprint test all NFL football players must do at the NFL Combine, which tests the athletic ability of all the athletes before entering the league. A 0.1 second difference can mean millions of dollars.
                    For boxing, you can simply use the Mike Tyson or Joshua approach, which is simply knock the other person out before the fight gets into the later rounds. This worked for every single fight for Tyson except the Buster Douglas one and Anthony Joshua is yet to fail with this technique.

You also don't seem to understand the potential of the human body. If you have good fitness and aren't 120KG+, you'll be able to last twelve rounds easily and it wont be a problem. There's people that can run 10KM in 20 minutes, I don't think doing a round of boxing is comparable to running a kilometre. Not to mention, nobody wants to see two fighters last the full twelve rounds, they want a knockout.

Lastly I'll mention that there's tons of undetectable PEDs that boxers use to increase their fitness. It really shouldn't be an issue, if you have no energy left, stay back and stick to long reach punches until the end of the round. Problem solved.

Comment

No? Higher reps = more endurance

Do you know more about how the body functions than The American College of Sports Medicine? I highly doubt.

Most of the stuff you are saying is blatantly wrong. I've done A-level biology and A-level PE and everything I've learnt goes completely against what you're saying. You're also saying words that sound complicated completely out of context in order to create the effect that you know what you're talking about.

What? Muscular strength and muscular endurance are two completely different things. My gym partner benches and weighs the exact same as me, yet I can do far more pullups and chinups. His muscles simply burn out faster than mine. Surprise surprise, he does reps of five and I do reps of eight to twelve. As I said, doing training with low reps will make you stronger but your muscles will burn out faster.

That doesn't make sense. As I said the force of a punch is the mass x speed and by adding fat, you will drop your speed dramatically and your punch will be nowhere near as powerful. You will gain weight which will increase the power you produce but it will do so much damage to your speed and stamina that it just isn't worth it.

Want proof? Let's compare Dillian Whyte and Joshua's physique, Joshua has far less fat and more muscle and he lasted fine all the way until round seven when he KOd Dillian. So it seems your little theory is incorrect.

For boxing, you can simply use the Mike Tyson or Joshua approach, which is simply knock the other person out before the fight gets into the later rounds. This worked for every single fight for Tyson except the Buster Douglas one and Anthony Joshua is yet to fail with this technique.

You also don't seem to understand the potential of the human body. If you have good fitness and aren't 120KG+, you'll be able to last twelve rounds easily and it wont be a problem. There's people that can run 10KM in 20 minutes, I don't think doing a round of boxing is comparable to running a kilometre. Not to mention, nobody wants to see two fighters last the full twelve rounds, they want a knockout.

Lastly I'll mention that there's tons of undetectable PEDs that boxers use to increase their fitness. It really shouldn't be an issue, if you have no energy left, stay back and stick to long reach punches until the end of the round. Problem solved.

Ha, to anyone that knows their stuff, you've made yourself look like a complete idiot, unless you are trolling, which makes you an unwise idiot anyway.

(strength gains convert to endurance better than training endurance alone for sports like boxing, but hey stick to your 3x12 reps you r tard I dont want to help you anymore)

I studied from world class proven Olympic sports coaches not some ****ty american association.

I end this discussion here. Too many idiots.
                      Last edited by AlexKid; 05-28-2016, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X