Collapse
No announcement yet.

training for 4 and 8 year old

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all due respect...I spent two months, recently, teaching a 19-0 jww andand he started at 8. In the same gym is a 10 year old with over 30 fights. In another gym, in another state, I worked with a 16 year old that started at 7, and an 8 year old that started at 6.
    You can put them on heavybags in two situations...a light bag hung high so it swings or a heavy bag that doesn't move. So they have to, you see? It is a good time to teach footwork, do defense drills, encourage/teach shadowboxing by making a game of it.
    If you shut them down and tell them to wait 5 years-a lifetime to an 8 year old- you kill the interest. And Charley Goldman thought 8 was a good age to start.

Comment

Originally posted by packerfan78 View Post
      I try a half hour a day. Its been working out even in the arizona heat. Shes catching on real quick and has been incorporating her agility training shes learned in other sports. We watch youtube videos together of other kids or olympians.
      What part of az you in ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
        What part of az you in ?
        Scottsdale

Comment

Scottsdale
          I know a lot of people on the west side and in central phx. .

Not many if any good gyms in Scottsdale. Closest gym to you that would have any true respect in the boxing community would be gene lewis boxing gym.

They are like the 6th best gym in phx az.
          And they also happen to host the biggest event in az every year called the gene lewis tourney every november. You should go check it out.this year its nov 13th ato 15th i believe. Google them. Its a 3 day tourney that gets cali nevada and colorado ,utah and new mexico fighters to az vs az fighters. Huge turn out. They have Solid coaches and solid team. Its about a 25 to 30 min drive for you.

Just keep in mind in boxing ams and pros , its a traveling sport. Nothing like real quality training though.

Gene lewis boxing gym south on the 101
          59 E Broadway Rd, Mesa, AZ 85210
          Last edited by Jc8804; 09-21-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Scottsdale
            So my kids are interested in boxing. My boy is 4 and my daughter is 8. I was an amateur boxer in my younger days but didnt start boxing till my early 20s so i never boxed as a kid. So far i have been teaching them how to throw punches correctly and doing some mitt work. Can you give me some non contact drills that will keep them busy because im sure theyll get bored with doing mitts?

1,2,3 drill- slipping drill. Slip a 1,2,3 throw a 1,2,3. Rinse and repeat.

Side step drills. Put an object in the middle of a sqaure coned ring 12x12. Have them side step inside the perimeter of the coned ring in circles around the object in the middle. Hands up . Say switch to getbthem to change direction left and right. Say stop and have them get in their boxing stance facing the object. Lead foot and lead shoulder and eyes... hands up. Throw a 1-2 ..

Punch ups----1-2s for 15 seconds and 5 push ups. Rinse and repeat for 6 minutes.

Comment

For your boy. Work on footwork. Basics going forward and back. He is young,he is gonna make mistakes. big step up front and a small step in back to follow.

Backing up--- big step in back and small step with the front backing up to follow the back foot. .

The key is balance.

I checked out your account and saw your daughter.

Same thing. Basic foot work and straight punches that dont fall. Ill hit you up to follow today and you can check out my account.. if you want to hook up,i can help you out and work with your kids. I got tickets to the pbc show in glendale az on oct 14th. Its montiel vs shelby. I can get three tickets for you to take your kids to check it out. Look for the follow request

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
                For your boy. Work on footwork. Basics going forward and back. He is young,he is gonna make mistakes. big step up front and a small step in back to follow.

Backing up--- big step in back and small step with the front backing up to follow the back foot. .

The key is balance.

I checked out your account and saw your daughter.

Same thing. Basic foot work and straight punches that dont fall. Ill hit you up to follow today and you can check out my account.. if you want to hook up,i can help you out and work with your kids. I got tickets to the pbc show in glendale az on oct 14th. Its montiel vs shelby. I can get three tickets for you to take your kids to check it out. Look for the follow request
                Ok thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X