No announcement yet.

training for 4 and 8 year old

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training for 4 and 8 year old

So my kids are interested in boxing. My boy is 4 and my daughter is 8. I was an amateur boxer in my younger days but didnt start boxing till my early 20s so i never boxed as a kid. So far i have been teaching them how to throw punches correctly and doing some mitt work. Can you give me some non contact drills that will keep them busy because im sure theyll get bored with doing mitts?

Your children are no were near the age when their bone develop has matured to the point when physical active thats stressfull in any degree should be under taken. Long bones are growing and cells are trying to keep filling them so certain activities should be avoided.
    Concentrate on non stress activities like swimming, becarefull with jumping and running on hard surfaces.
    I was a Junior Olympic Chairman in Conn. and coached at the Olympic Training Center so I have a solid background concerning youth and youth boxing. A good age to start instruction is around 12 yrs old. Their still far from grown so the training should not be anywhere near what a 18 year old would take on.
    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Your children are no were near the age when their bone develop has matured to the point when physical active thats stressfull in any degree should be under taken. Long bones are growing and cells are trying to keep filling them so certain activities should be avoided.
      Concentrate on non stress activities like swimming, becarefull with jumping and running on hard surfaces.
      I was a Junior Olympic Chairman in Conn. and coached at the Olympic Training Center so I have a solid background concerning youth and youth boxing. A good age to start instruction is around 12 yrs old. Their still far from grown so the training should not be anywhere near what a 18 year old would take on.
      Ray
      Thanks for the good info.

Comment

Like stated above, children have not grown enough for their bones to be fully developed. If you want to teach them boxing then use technique training for the time beeing and work on form, footwork and proper punching form. Just advice from one parent to another. Mit work is good for teaching them as well.

Comment

I would teach them the basics but not have them do anything other than padwork and speed bag as far as actual boxing training goes. For strength, have them do basic workouts like push ups and pull ups. Do NOT use weight training.

Comment

Group training is the best, if you can find a good gym which isn't easy to do. Kids are like puppies, they learn better in groups, and the weaker ones learn from the stronger ones.

This is where I trained. Don't listen to these guys About your kids being too young to start, 8 is fine, 4 is probably too young though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-3NijZHnI&sns=em
            Last edited by AddiX; 09-11-2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I'll say train them the boxing stance and the movement as it is the most important in boxing. When they are 11 or 12 then you can start training them seriously.

Comment

thanks guys. i have been teaching her the basics(footwork, keeping guard up, and punching). No sparring obviously and no heavy bag. We just train in the my driveway. Shes a big girl like her dad. She's already 4 foot 8 and 85lbs. I fought super heavy weight as an amateur. Like most kids her interests come and go but atleast she will know the basics. I figure if she wants to get more serious I could find her a decent gym. As for my boy he just wants to tag along and copy us.

Comment

Been wondering this too. I have a six year old boy that I would like to get started. I know they start competing at 8 so If I get him started at 6 he would have a head start. I can't find any gyms that will take kids younger than 8 around my area though. I am looking at videos of some kids that are sparring and they are like 7 years old going at it like bad asses..

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano View Post
                    Been wondering this too. I have a six year old boy that I would like to get started. I know they start competing at 8 so If I get him started at 6 he would have a head start. I can't find any gyms that will take kids younger than 8 around my area though. I am looking at videos of some kids that are sparring and they are like 7 years old going at it like bad asses..
                    I try a half hour a day. Its been working out even in the arizona heat. Shes catching on real quick and has been incorporating her agility training shes learned in other sports. We watch youtube videos together of other kids or olympians.

Comment

Working...
                    X