3 day full body workout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
    Thx for the sources.

Its interesting, but I still don't believe it.

Most of these studies from the quck glance I took, are short term, and don't account for A LOT of factors, such as life style, athletism, current or past stretching routine, etc, etc.

And unless I missed they don't say what the actual test was to determine flexibility.

As far as boxing goes, were not just trying to maintain flexibility for punch leverage, but also for snapping power, which is generated by torque. That's a completely different kind of flexibility, than say, doing a split.

IMO & experience, heavy weights are not good for that.
    You're never going to find a study that follows people doing different programs for years since it's so hard to get people to stay in the programs. There's no reason to think that if it increases flexibility short term that it will reduce it in the long term. The only long term evidence you will find is anecdotal like the link below.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws....b51ce938d6.jpg

If you want flexibility all you have to do is stretch, and this goes for whether you lift weights or not. There's no reason to say weight lifting is bad because you think it might reduce flexibility.

As for snapping your punches, the mechanism that it utilizes is the stretch shortening cycle. When your muscles are stretched under load they store energy like a spring so that when you throw the punch it has more force. So if you have more strength you should be able to put more snap in your punches. How flexible you are doesn't really factor into it.

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
      You're never going to find a study that follows people doing different programs for years since it's so hard to get people to stay in the programs. There's no reason to think that if it increases flexibility short term that it will reduce it in the long term. The only long term evidence you will find is anecdotal like the link below.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws....b51ce938d6.jpg

If you want flexibility all you have to do is stretch, and this goes for whether you lift weights or not. There's no reason to say weight lifting is bad because you think it might reduce flexibility.

As for snapping your punches, the mechanism that it utilizes is the stretch shortening cycle. When your muscles are stretched under load they store energy like a spring so that when you throw the punch it has more force. So if you have more strength you should be able to put more snap in your punches. How flexible you are doesn't really factor into it.
      I would agree with a lot of what your saying. As far as yur assessment on the studies, I would agree, but at the end of the day, they arent studies that could lead to Any definite conclusion.

For me personally I stopped stretching the more I lifted so that obviously would factor into it. But I still maintain that at least some lifts will cause you to be less flexible.

It's really impossible to know for sure, but for instance, I don't think dead lifts would cause problems. But curls IMO def have a negative effect on snapping power.

Even you look at boxers, generally speaking the bulkier stronger boxers seem to throw less punches, have less snap on there punches, and are slower. And than you look at guys like Randall Bailey, Hearns, tall, slim, flexible fighters, they seek to generate far more kinetic energy on there punches.

Its an interesting subject to say the least, I don't think there will ever be any definitive answer. I know of very few boxers who lift heavy, and very few body builders who are flexible.

This is probably the most agile, flexible, body builder I personally know, but he was far more agile and flexible when he purely boxed, i use to spar this dude.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8s8...e_gdata_player

Comment

What's your goal?

Weight loss or to be good at boxing?

Comment

I would agree with a lot of what your saying. As far as yur assessment on the studies, I would agree, but at the end of the day, they arent studies that could lead to Any definite conclusion.

For me personally I stopped stretching the more I lifted so that obviously would factor into it. But I still maintain that at least some lifts will cause you to be less flexible.

It's really impossible to know for sure, but for instance, I don't think dead lifts would cause problems. But curls IMO def have a negative effect on snapping power.

Even you look at boxers, generally speaking the bulkier stronger boxers seem to throw less punches, have less snap on there punches, and are slower. And than you look at guys like Randall Bailey, Hearns, tall, slim, flexible fighters, they seek to generate far more kinetic energy on there punches.

Its an interesting subject to say the least, I don't think there will ever be any definitive answer. I know of very few boxers who lift heavy, and very few body builders who are flexible.

This is probably the most agile, flexible, body builder I personally know, but he was far more agile and flexible when he purely boxed, i use to spar this dude.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8s8...e_gdata_player
          You might want more research before coming to a firm conclusion but the current research suggests there's no significant detriment to flexibility as long as you do the exercises with a full range of motion.

As for being stronger and getting winded faster, you would only get tired faster since you are throwing harder and/or faster punches since you are expending more energy total. If you have two boxers of different strengths, same technique and they both punched with the same force they would both fatigue at the same rate. The only difference is the stronger boxer can punch harder when he wants to.

A different topic altogether is the total size of a boxer. If you have more body mass your heart has to pump harder to send the same volume of blood to your muscles which means you will fatigue faster than someone with the same cardiac output and muscular adaptations. This goes for both muscle and fat though. This is only really and issue in the heavyweight division since every other weight class is limited.

That guy you posted a video of is impressive, but very clearly taking steroids so he might not be the best example. Steroids tend to increase muscle mass more, relative to the strength gained. With weight classes this is even more important.

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
            You might want more research before coming to a firm conclusion but the current research suggests there's no significant detriment to flexibility as long as you do the exercises with a full range of motion.

As for being stronger and getting winded faster, you would only get tired faster since you are throwing harder and/or faster punches since you are expending more energy total. If you have two boxers of different strengths, same technique and they both punched with the same force they would both fatigue at the same rate. The only difference is the stronger boxer can punch harder when he wants to.

A different topic altogether is the total size of a boxer. If you have more body mass your heart has to pump harder to send the same volume of blood to your muscles which means you will fatigue faster than someone with the same cardiac output and muscular adaptations. This goes for both muscle and fat though. This is only really and issue in the heavyweight division since every other weight class is limited.

That guy you posted a video of is impressive, but very clearly taking steroids so he might not be the best example. Steroids tend to increase muscle mass more, relative to the strength gained. With weight classes this is even more important.
            There is no conclusive research done on weight lifting and boxing, so I won't get a firm conclusion.

As far as bigger bulkier boxers getting winded what you said is correct, but also a reason for them get winded easier would be the extra muscle mass, and also being less flexible, causing them to work harder to throw a punch.

And yeah, he's a pro builder, sooo.

At the end of the day I think a pot of what your saying is completely right, but I also still think, lifting heavy often has consequences for boxers. And no matter how much research says flexibility isn't effected by body building/strength training, my own eyes tell me most of those guys aren't flexible, and if you look at almost any Yoga class, there's very little muscle mass.

Comment

As far as bigger bulkier boxers getting winded what you said is correct, but also a reason for them get winded easier would be the extra muscle mass, and also being less flexible, causing them to work harder to throw a punch.
              Where do you get this idea from? How flexible do you think a boxer needs to be?

At the end of the day I think a pot of what your saying is completely right, but I also still think, lifting heavy often has consequences for boxers.
              Yes. It make them stronger, faster and makes them less prone to injury.

And no matter how much research says flexibility isn't effected by body building/strength training, my own eyes tell me most of those guys aren't flexible,
              So, basically, you have made up your mind. You know better than exercise science.

and if you look at almost any Yoga class, there's very little muscle mass.
              I'm no expert on Yoga classes, but I'm fairly sure most are full of middle to old age women. Not serious athletes.

Comment

Monday
                Chest
                Incline barbell bench 5 sets
                Flat barbell bench 4 sets
                Dips 4 sets

Legs
                Barbell squats 5 sets
                Leg press 4 sets
                Straight leg deadlifts 4 sets
                Dumbbell lunges 16 steps per set- 3 sets

Abdominals

Wednesday
                Shoulders
                Barbell shoulder press 5 sets
                Dumbbell side raises 4 sets
                Dumbbell front raises 4 sets
                Dumbbell rear lateral 4 sets

Back
                Wide grip lat cable pulldowns 5 sets
                Barbell rows 4 sets
                Tbar 4 sets
                Deadlifts 4 sets

Abdominals

Friday
                Biceps
                Straight bar arm curl 5 sets
                Dumbbell hammer curls 4 sets

Triceps
                Lying down triceps extensions 5 sets
                Cable triceps pull downs 4 sets

Calves
                Standing calf raises 5 sets
                Seated calf raises 4 sets

Abdominals

Comment

Originally posted by chargerhemi06 View Post
                  Monday
                  Chest
                  Incline barbell bench 5 sets
                  Flat barbell bench 4 sets
                  Dips 4 sets

Legs
                  Barbell squats 5 sets
                  Leg press 4 sets
                  Straight leg deadlifts 4 sets
                  Dumbbell lunges 16 steps per set- 3 sets

Abdominals

Wednesday
                  Shoulders
                  Barbell shoulder press 5 sets
                  Dumbbell side raises 4 sets
                  Dumbbell front raises 4 sets
                  Dumbbell rear lateral 4 sets

Back
                  Wide grip lat cable pulldowns 5 sets
                  Barbell rows 4 sets
                  Tbar 4 sets
                  Deadlifts 4 sets

Abdominals

Friday
                  Biceps
                  Straight bar arm curl 5 sets
                  Dumbbell hammer curls 4 sets

Triceps
                  Lying down triceps extensions 5 sets
                  Cable triceps pull downs 4 sets

Calves
                  Standing calf raises 5 sets
                  Seated calf raises 4 sets

Abdominals
                  That is not a bad split at all, did them for about 5 years, I respond better to full body but its all personal preference I suppose.

Comment

Saw a picture of Golovkin training with 2 pound dumbbells. Heavy weights aren't necessary to create hard hitters.

Comment

And here's Golovkin's ab routine, lots of high reps plus some weight work as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X