No announcement yet.

3 day full body workout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
    Your muscles don't know whether you are lifting iron weights or body weight, so how do iron weights reduce flexibility but body weight not?

Resistance is resistance...
    Strongly disagree, especially when it comes to cable work vs free weights.

When you are doing the variation of a bench press with a machine the stack is behind you, gravity is trying to pull it no where near your body to the center of the Earth and you really don't need to grip that apparatus closed hand honestly but with flat bench gravity trying to pull you and the weight above you through the floor its totally a different feeling and you need alot of stabilization and better squeeze that bar for dear life as it surely may depend on it.

Comment

Your muscles don't know whether you are lifting iron weights or body weight, so how do iron weights reduce flexibility but body weight not?

Resistance is resistance...

I did nothing but body weight for years and lost no flexibility, as soon as I started lifting consistently, especially heavy, I lost my flexibility instantly.

To lift heavy, your training your body to lift heavy in very fixed motions, your joints become tighter so that to limit movement so you can control the weight better.

That won't happen with body weight exercises. You don't see flexible body builders, strength trainers at the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
        I did nothing but body weight for years and lost no flexibility, as soon as I started lifting consistently, especially heavy, I lost my flexibility instantly.
        If you regularly perform multiple contractions within a decreased range of motion you are likely shorten muscle length and therefore decrease flexibility.

Resistance training (weights or body weight) using full range of motion, will not reduce flexibility. Research shows the opposite.

The only explanation for you becoming less flexible using weights is that you were not using full range of motion.

To lift heavy, your training your body to lift heavy in very fixed motions, your joints become tighter so that to limit movement so you can control the weight better.

That won't happen with body weight exercises. You don't see flexible body builders, strength trainers at the gym.
        http://youtu.be/luwZaV4WdCE

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
          Strongly disagree, especially when it comes to cable work vs free weights.

When you are doing the variation of a bench press with a machine the stack is behind you, gravity is trying to pull it no where near your body to the center of the Earth and you really don't need to grip that apparatus closed hand honestly but with flat bench gravity trying to pull you and the weight above you through the floor its totally a different feeling and you need alot of stabilization and better squeeze that bar for dear life as it surely may depend on it.
          Maybe my post could have been clearer ...

My comment stating "resistance is resistance" was regarding flexibility ...

The use of smith machines and bar path / stabilization etc is a different debate. But yeah, you are 100% correct in the above. But that is not what I was commenting on.

Comment

If you regularly perform multiple contractions within a decreased range of motion you are likely shorten muscle length and therefore decrease flexibility.

Resistance training (weights or body weight) using full range of motion, will not reduce flexibility. Research shows the opposite.

The only explanation for you becoming less flexible using weights is that you were not using full range of motion.

http://youtu.be/luwZaV4WdCE
            Post research please.

Comment

Interesting observation. A lot of boxing trainers from the past were against weight training for this very reason but most people just dismiss their ideas as being old fashioned.

Comment

Bodybuilders having little flexibility is a myth. weight lifting doesn't decrease your flexibility. After eight years of bodybuilding and weighing 250lb I could clasp my hands together over under behind my back and I never stretched.

Here's some research supporting what I said as well.

Full range resistance training increases flexibility as much as static stretching.
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21969080

Resistance training whether slow or normal speed increases flexibility.
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21993022

Strength training increases flexibility in middle aged women.
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18438255

Comment

Hello Again,

Good with some interest here. But what I meant by that I can not train with body weight, its impossible. I'm too weak do do chin-ups and pullups . I've finally managed myself to take good pushups . I work toward the goal to take pullups or chinups but I'm still too weak for it. Has been recommended knit and such but haven't bought it yet.

My ankle mobility is very poor. My squats isn't good enough then. But I'll try when I get healthy enough to train again .

Thanks for all your help!!!

- The Norwegian guy

Comment

Post research please.
                    See HedonisticFrog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
                      Bodybuilders having little flexibility is a myth. weight lifting doesn't decrease your flexibility. After eight years of bodybuilding and weighing 250lb I could clasp my hands together over under behind my back and I never stretched.

Here's some research supporting what I said as well.

Full range resistance training increases flexibility as much as static stretching.
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21969080

Resistance training whether slow or normal speed increases flexibility.
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21993022

Strength training increases flexibility in middle aged women.
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18438255
                      Thx for the sources.

Its interesting, but I still don't believe it.

Most of these studies from the quck glance I took, are short term, and don't account for A LOT of factors, such as life style, athletism, current or past stretching routine, etc, etc.

And unless I missed they don't say what the actual test was to determine flexibility.

As far as boxing goes, were not just trying to maintain flexibility for punch leverage, but also for snapping power, which is generated by torque. That's a completely different kind of flexibility, than say, doing a split.

IMO & experience, heavy weights are not good for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X