No announcement yet.

Weight lifting and boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
    Boxing drills are more than enough to build muscular endurance so there's no need to use weights for that.
    Bing. Bam. Boom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      this should be the third time your reading the bold. Given your post, it kinda confirms my suspicion that you have no idea what I'm saying, and not because you don't understand it, but outright bias and ignorance.
      Having difficulty finding your post where you claim that ideally the heavy bag shouldn't move at all. Quite possible that some elite level troll deleted it.

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      research the subject.
      Well it's not everyday I get an official personality disorder diagnosis from a guy who's also a self-described expert on history, economics, religion, government and physiology, among others. Superiority complex you say? Can you say projection?

Also appreciate the 19th century boxing training tips, though I probably could have done without the attacks on posters who actually contribute to the site, like Johnm. Hopefully people will make up their minds and take advice from people who don't think that George Foreman was feather-fisted, strength is useless in boxing, think fast twitch muscle fibers aren't preferable for speed or power, or that people should only practice full extension punches with either zero or little follow through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
        Superiority complex you say? Can you say projection?
        superiorty complex? wouldn't that mean it would be awfully hard for me to admit when im wrong...?

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        poor wording, rather you want full extension at impact, my bad.
        Stop trying to bang your mom, your father is older than you and more experienced in life, its ok, you don't have to try to be better than him with every thing you do, its not going to increase your chance of bedding your mom.

your boss is your boss, he has his things he does, you have your things you do, you don't have to constantly compete with him, and the harder you try to compete with him, the more pathetic you will appear to him.

there are somethings you are good at, what they are? who knows, maybe MMA. work on getting better at those things instead of constantly trying to compensate for the things you suck at, eventually resorting to intimidation and mockery when intelligent arguments have proven you wrong time and time again.

its only natural that you feel inferior, we go through life with a father, as we constantly try to impress him, it can easily turn to constant failure, there are the trainers at gyms allways telling you what you are doing wrong, you boss allways telling you what you are doing wrong, alpha males you compete with always giving you a hard time. coaches in different sports telling you what you are doing wrong.

it all piles up and can make it hard to have confidence in yourself.

work hard, belive in yourself, and some day to be able to admit when your wrong.

Good luck.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-28-2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
          Don't try to claim I don't know more than you, the discussion should be about what is most effective and not ad hominem attacks.

Lifting heavy weights for low reps increases strength the most and there are plenty of scientific studies to show I'm right. Here's a brief list.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12436270
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18787090
          http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...31556513002738
          http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperIn...?paperID=28182
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8868268

Boxing drills are more than enough to build muscular endurance so there's no need to use weights for that.

You have your opinion, I have my opinion and a lot of scientific research to support it.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...lds-muscle-too

http://www.livestrong.com/article/31...muscle-growth/

You see? There's evidence to buttress that lower weight, higher reps builds strength, and muscle too.

And no - simple boxing exercises are not going to give you the same muscular endurance as implementing resistance training to improve those muscles groups that are used for "boxing movements." That's just silly to believe.

Again, though - for either of us to sit here and claim "this is the best way" is just wrong. Every body is different, and responds differently. So it's good we both have stated our opinions, so people who read can try both ways out, adn implement both lifting styles into their regime. That's what this is all about.

That's why I said it's probably best to constantly change your routine: 4-8 weeks do lighter weight, higher reps, then low reps, high weight, then somewhere in between pyramid set style... This way you target all types of muscle fibers, endurance, and growth.

But there's evidence to support both... That's all; thanks.
          Last edited by Rostov Papa; 10-28-2014, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
            Bing. Bam. Boom.
            Boxing drills? what does that even consist of?

Body weight exercises? plyometrics? speed ladder drills? heavy bag work? speed bag? shadow boxing? skipping rope? road work? interval sprints? slip line? elastic band work? pads? situps? sparring?

all of the above?

why do anything else?
            Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-28-2014, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Body weight exercises, plyometrics, heavy bag work, speed bag, shadow boxing, skipping rope, road work, slip line, elastic band work, pads, situps and sparring?

all of the above?

why do anything else?
              I think that poor soul is confused...

Comment

• you do 20 reps, the glycogen stores in your muscle have been taxed.

your muscle adapts to store more glycogen.

with each gram of glycogen your body can store 3 grams of water.

the average body can store 400-500 grams of glycogen in your muscle.

for the person who does high reps low weight, they have taxed their muscles and their muscles have adapted to store more glycogen, some one that trains like this regularly can store up to 1000 grams of glycogen.

500 more grams of glycogen + 3 grams of water per gram = 2000 more grams of fuel stored in your muscles. 28 grams per ounce 16 ounces in a pound, 1 pound = 448 grams

2000/448 = about 4.5 pounds

that's 4.5 lbs of muscle fuel, not muscle and some people like to think of this as useless, as it is in regard to maximal strength.

the problem is that the basic boxing drills don't put constant resistance on the muscle for a prolonged period of time to properly tax the glycogen stores forcing it into adaptation like 20 reps at 50% 1 rep max would do.

heavy weight low reps definatly don't do this, in fact most people that lift heavy with low reps could expect as much as a 4.5 lb quick gain if they switched to endurance specific lifting, purely from increase glycogen and water storage.

this tends to be the role that body weight exercises play, the weight is just enough to properly tax the muscles while still light enough that you can do upwards of 20.

you guys keep saying you get everything you need from boxing drills, but you havnt done anything to define just what boxing drills are, nor have you done anything to show that you actuall do get all that from the boxing drills you have yet to define.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-28-2014, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Body weight exercises? plyometrics? speed ladder drills? heavy bag work? speed bag? shadow boxing? skipping rope? road work? interval sprints? slip line? elastic band work? pads? situps? sparring?

all of the above?

why do anything else?
                  No reason, Sully. None at all. You're the man. Strength training in boxing is stupid.

Everyone here should take your advice. You obviously are the higher authority on the subject....

....regardless of how many times you have to contradict, and backtrack, in order to get your point across.

It's impossible to have this discussion with you, because your entire argument is based around "I'm right, unless I'm not. In which case, that's not what I meant".

Comment

• Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
                    No reason, Sully. None at all. You're the man. Strength training in boxing is stupid.

Everyone here should take your advice. You obviously are the higher authority on the subject....

....regardless of how many times you have to contradict, and backtrack, in order to get your point across.

It's impossible to have this discussion with you, because your entire argument is based around "I'm right, unless I'm not. In which case, that's not what I meant".
                    Balistic resistance training is pretty good too.

Comment

Balistic resistance training is pretty good too.
                      You're wise beyond your years. I can only imagine how magnificent the fighters you train are.

Comment

Working...
                      X