No announcement yet.

DAMN i got sandbagged in sparring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAMN i got sandbagged in sparring.

yeah. finally get to spar someone smaller than me. i thought i could handle shorter fighters easily, since im always fighting ppl taller than me.
    but damn i was eating them punches like a bag.

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    yeah. finally get to spar someone smaller than me. i thought i could handle shorter fighters easily, since im always fighting ppl taller than me.
    but damn i was eating them punches like a bag.
    Was he lighter or just shorter? If he was around the same weight then you just have to move your feet and throw those straight shots. As long as you move often use your reach you'll be fine

Comment

Now you know how peter mcneeley feels

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
        Was he lighter or just shorter? If he was around the same weight then you just have to move your feet and throw those straight shots. As long as you move often use your reach you'll be fine
        actually im 5'7 121lbs.. (i was around 128 but vacation really ****ed me)
        he is like 5'5? 5'6? 136 pounds? XD
        Originally posted by jas View Post
        Now you know how peter mcneeley feels
        *********( the list goes on
        Last edited by nivek535; 08-26-2014, 03:30 AM.

Comment

actually im 5'7 121lbs.. (i was around 128 but vacation really ****ed me)
          he is like 5'5? 5'6? 142~147 ish pounds? XD

*********( the list goes on
          Lol well there you go then! He wasn't that much shorter but he was 20 lbs heavier. No wonder he bossed you around the ring! But as the taller fighter you just have to move around the ring. Keep him off the end of your jab I guess. Moving and letting your hands go works a treat against shorter but heavier guys.

Comment

Lol well there you go then! He wasn't that much shorter but he was 20 lbs heavier. No wonder he bossed you around the ring! But as the taller fighter you just have to move around the ring. Keep him off the end of your jab I guess. Moving and letting your hands go works a treat against shorter but heavier guys.
            yep i definitely need to work on fighting moving backwards! thx!

Comment

yep i definitely need to work on fighting moving backwards! thx!
              It's funny I weigh the same as you but I'm 5'8. I'd kill for shorter sparring partners! Instead at my old gym I was thrown in with people taller and much heavier. Lightest guy I ever sparred was 5'11 and 149 lbs lol. And I don't even want to talk about the middleweights!

But you don't necessarily have to fight backwards. Lateral movement really seems to trouble shorter guys for some reason, especially when it's opposing stances. Circling and letting your hands go tends to help but you can also move backwards IN A DIAGONAL route. Moving backwards diagonally can also throw them off because they can't just charge you. Also if they cut you off, clinch and move out the way.

Comment

It's funny I weigh the same as you but I'm 5'8. I'd kill for shorter sparring partners! Instead at my old gym I was thrown in with people taller and much heavier. Lightest guy I ever sparred was 5'11 and 149 lbs lol. And I don't even want to talk about the middleweights!

But you don't necessarily have to fight backwards. Lateral movement really seems to trouble shorter guys for some reason, especially when it's opposing stances. Circling and letting your hands go tends to help but you can also move backwards IN A DIAGONAL route. Moving backwards diagonally can also throw them off because they can't just charge you. Also if they cut you off, clinch and move out the way.
                DAMN where you live?
                fncking impossible to find skinny ****s like me outside of japan.

Comment

DAMN where you live?
                  fncking impossible to find skinny ****s like me outside of japan.
                  I come from Scotland. Hard to find skinny guys here too sometimes. But my gym was out in a kind of remote area. I move to a new gym in 3 weeks and they have people around my weight. But look at it this way, bantamweights and lightweights don't hit very hard for me now lol.

But tbh my dad's side of the family tends to be skinny until early or mid twenties when we fill out and get monster strength. I've been told I hit reasonably hard for the weight but I want some of that strength.

You're really lucky to find shorter sparring partners. The only one shorter than me weighed like 160-165 lol

Comment

I come from Scotland. Hard to find skinny guys here too sometimes. But my gym was out in a kind of remote area. I move to a new gym in 3 weeks and they have people around my weight. But look at it this way, bantamweights and lightweights don't hit very hard for me now lol.

But tbh my dad's side of the family tends to be skinny until early or mid twenties when we fill out and get monster strength. I've been told I hit reasonably hard for the weight but I want some of that strength.

You're really lucky to find shorter sparring partners. The only one shorter than me weighed like 160-165 lol
                    im on vacation now. in Taiwan.
                    back in vancouver Canada, the only shorter ( by like an inch..?) is around 165 as well.

thats good, how old are ye?
                    im 21, so my weight wont go too much higher

Comment

Working...
                    X