Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, i do a lot of sprinting at the moment, im picking up niggles...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, i do a lot of sprinting at the moment, im picking up niggles...

Ive got shin splints at the moment, im having to ice it a lot.

also, my achelles heel is frigging hurting, all on my right leg.

are these two injuries linked?

i overtrained a few weeks ago, and i think i made it worse.

How long does shin splints last?

and my achelles hurt, i was in the gym saturday, doing cleans, when i went on my tip toes, made my injuries worse, basically now, i cant run this week.

whats best, heat or ice? or maybe both?

any experienced sprinters?

I get shin splints on both shins. Usually with a few days off from jump rope and running the get better. Especially jump rope seem to aggrivate them. If I jump rope anymore than once or twice a week fro more than a couple rounds a workout it seems to aggrivate them every time.

I will keep an eye on this thread for any advice on that.

As for you injuries being related, yes it is a good possibilty they are. Say your shin hurt first for example. You will favor it when you walk or run making other muscles and areas work harder than they are used too therefore leading to more over training and more injury.

It can be a vicious domino effect that can turn into a vicious cycle if you dont heal up.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
      I get shin splints on both shins. Usually with a few days off from jump rope and running the get better. Especially jump rope seem to aggrivate them. If I jump rope anymore than once or twice a week fro more than a couple rounds a workout it seems to aggrivate them every time.

I will keep an eye on this thread for any advice on that.

As for you injuries being related, yes it is a good possibilty they are. Say your shin hurt first for example. You will favor it when you walk or run making other muscles and areas work harder than they are used too therefore leading to more over training and more injury.

It can be a vicious domino effect that can turn into a vicious cycle if you dont heal up.
      thanks for advice.

basically, im taking this week off, and icing them a lot, basically, icing them whenever im free and doing nothing, but im not sure whats best, the heat could make things circulate better, therefore, heal faster?

i want this to go, ive never had shin splints ever, ill take as much as 10 days off from running if i have to, as long as i dont put on weight which does happen when i dont run which is annoying, i just got to be really smart about what i eat during this time off.

Im not planning to run till saturday, im having to ice my achelles, and my shin splints.

I was going to go for a run today, achelles was too painful though, so i have to rest this week. i made things worse in the gym saturday, cause its all explosive movements. damn it.

thanks for your advice though,

Heat or ice or both you reckon?

Comment

I've had a lot of experience with these sorts of injuries myself.

Rest.

Don't overtrain.

Elliptical. Rowing. Cycling.

Stretching.

Strengthen leg muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by zapdos View Post
          thanks for advice.

basically, im taking this week off, and icing them a lot, basically, icing them whenever im free and doing nothing, but im not sure whats best, the heat could make things circulate better, therefore, heal faster?

i want this to go, ive never had shin splints ever, ill take as much as 10 days off from running if i have to, as long as i dont put on weight which does happen when i dont run which is annoying, i just got to be really smart about what i eat during this time off.

Im not planning to run till saturday, im having to ice my achelles, and my shin splints.

I was going to go for a run today, achelles was too painful though, so i have to rest this week. i made things worse in the gym saturday, cause its all explosive movements. damn it.

From what I understand ice helps with the pain. Heat relaxes, increases blood flow and heals.

Comment

thanks for advice.

It's inflammation so ice.

Comment

you are overtrained. i spent my entire youth in that state, and didn't get it.

take a rest. really. you'll perform better in the long run.

if the rest doesn't work, there are steps you can take. right now, the first step to take is the rest. think in periods of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                I've had a lot of experience with these sorts of injuries myself.

Rest.

Don't overtrain.

Elliptical. Rowing. Cycling.

Stretching.

Strengthen leg muscles.
                basically, im a newby when it comes to sprinting.

The coach seemed to want me to sprint all the time, cause i was new, and good.

I needed a break, but instead, i got shin splints, he was like, come on, train, train, train.

rest is as important as training sometimes.

I will never overtrain again, i do blame the coach, made me niggles turn into injuries.

Now i got shin splints and achelles problems.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  you are overtrained. i spent my entire youth in that state, and didn't get it.

take a rest. really. you'll perform better in the long run.

if the rest doesn't work, there are steps you can take. right now, the first step to take is the rest. think in periods of weeks.
                  im resting this week basically, all week, i aint training, i trained saturday, i was in the gym, cause of the explosive workouts, made me achelles worse.

Now, im resting, im thinking 10 days maybe, i just got to make sure i dont put on weight, cause that will be taking a backwards step.

I did overtrain, and i turned my little niggles into full blown injuries now, my coach has pissed me off.

but i think he just wants to get the best of me, overtraining wont help nobody though, and with his experience, he was a decathalon athlete, i thought he would of realised.

Comment

basically, im a newby when it comes to sprinting.

The coach seemed to want me to sprint all the time, cause i was new, and good.

I needed a break, but instead, i got shin splints, he was like, come on, train, train, train.

rest is as important as training sometimes.

I will never overtrain again, i do blame the coach, made me niggles turn into injuries.

Now i got shin splints and achelles problems.

Your coach is a better motivator ......

Comment

Working...
                    X