No announcement yet.

Questioning Golovkin's footwork . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
    My guess is when you saw these flaws, it was when he was moving forward with his opponent well out of range...translation, it doesn't matter. As he gets closer, it tightens up. As he gets closer, he bends his knees a little more, begins to make subtle upper body movements to position himself to slip or block jabs, then step in quickly to do damage. Even Floyd when walking forward brings his feet together. Who cares when your opponent is too far away to do anything anyways?

I see no real issues with his footwork. I want to see him against some better guys though. Would love to see him fight Kessler or Froch. He'll destroy them BTW.
    He is definitely in range when he does this. He did it in the Ishida fight as well.
    He'd be better off moving his right foot first when in range, but instead he moves his left foot first, gets his legs crossed, and then balances it out by moving the right foot.

A mobile guy will be able to pop him here and escape the ropes.

I imagine its a habit he's always had, and his record does speak for itself, but this will be how he gets Buster Douglased.

Comment

Golovkin has great footwork. Regardless of the direction the opponent moves, he is always right in front of him. Never following, always cutting the angle. Right in their face. He has a low stance wich keeps his balance. If he stood upright like Canelo or Margarito, it would be a different story but he is so low to where his balance is solid.

He's not the fastest mover but he is intelligent. Guys like Martinez are graceful but waste motion. Golovkin doesn't look graceful but never wastes motion. He moves with purpose and doesn't move out of his punch range. That takes a real tactition's brain and quality footwork to pull off.

I'm not saying he's Ali but you don't have to look pretty to be of quality standard. That's what I love about Golovkin. Dude is a freaking computer with sledgehammers for fist.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        Golovkin has great footwork. Regardless of the direction the opponent moves, he is always right in front of him. Never following, always cutting the angle. Right in their face. He has a low stance wich keeps his balance. If he stood upright like Canelo or Margarito, it would be a different story but he is so low to where his balance is solid.

He's not the fastest mover but he is intelligent. Guys like Martinez are graceful but waste motion. Golovkin doesn't look graceful but never wastes motion. He moves with purpose and doesn't move out of his punch range. That takes a real tactition's brain and quality footwork to pull off.

I'm not saying he's Ali but you don't have to look pretty to be of quality standard. That's what I love about Golovkin. Dude is a freaking computer with sledgehammers for fist.
        Very well said, he's well taught and his balance is great.

I do disagree with you about Canelo standing straight up, Canelo seems to be more of an outside, counter puncher but he can fight inside.

Comment

My impression with GGG is that he misses more than he should
          He has solid foundations, he his technique displayed by now is rather limited. Maybe he has not shown everything yet. Anway, what he has shown he does very well, above average.

Comment

So far I've only seen him in with guys that stand in front of him, or get hit and try to run. Rosado was the first who I saw actually move in and out with him and had a fair amount of success, but ultimately succumbed to the power.

I'm not saying he needs to float like a butterfly, or dance like a diva, or whatever the saying may be these days. But I think it would benefit him to move his feet a little more correctly.

Comment

Golovkin has great footwork. Regardless of the direction the opponent moves, he is always right in front of him. .

He's got great footwork the same way a rabbid monkey has great footwork. Yes he stalks, yes he great awareness of the gap... but his footwork sucks people... I'm sorry, but it does. He has power, and everyone is so high on that they can't see his flaws. I'm sorry but its not good enough to say, "the guy is knocking people out, who cares if he doesn't move around the ring correctly" we did the same thing with Mike Tyson, and we all saw how that worked out... Someone mentioned GGG vs Froch... Froch would destroy GGG. he doesn't have the footwork to keep froch cornered, and froch would pick him off and beat him up . . . sorry . . . but its the truth, also froch has the chin to take GGG's best punches...

GGGs footwork is flawed, its too bad you can't see that . . .

Comment

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
                I'm very fond of GGG, he is a lot of fun to watch. I did notice, at least against macklin, that his footwork is terrible. I don't know if this was just because he wasn't threatened at all in that fight, or if this is just way he fights. I think against a slicker fighter, he may have some trouble cutting off the ring.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this, and what your opinion is?
                It was the answer to the thread title alone. Not your first post.

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
                  My impression with GGG is that he misses more than he should.
                  I think this is more a result of how most of his opponents have chose to fight him i.e. in survival mode, rather than flaws in his game.

Comment

you dont know sht about boxing ts, all that really needs to be said

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
                      I'm not sold on his defense. Its good, but I don't think its as great as everyone claims it to be. Difference is, because of his power, nobody has been able to survive/bang with him to test/exploit it. Still a question mark with his defense and chin IMO.

Imo, people saying his defense is great are just listening to the HBO casting desperately trying to sell their only product/hope ATM.

he had 250 amateur fights and made it to the top, international level. he's never been down. his chin certainly isn't glass. is it iron? we haven't seen him hit hard enough to know for sure, but we know it's not sh#t.

Comment

Working...
                      X