No announcement yet.

Questioning Golovkin's footwork . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioning Golovkin's footwork . . .

I'm very fond of GGG, he is a lot of fun to watch. I did notice, at least against macklin, that his footwork is terrible. I don't know if this was just because he wasn't threatened at all in that fight, or if this is just way he fights. I think against a slicker fighter, he may have some trouble cutting off the ring.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this, and what your opinion is?

Terrible? I don't think he's Floyd Mayweather but I think his footwork is good. I mean, he cuts the ring off beautifully, takes great angles and defends as he comes in about as good as anyone in the game.

What I was most impressed with is the way he doesn't get hit flush as he comes forward. He catches a lot of shots, slips a lot of shots and counters beautifully when in proper position.

Terrible is not a word I would use. When I think of terrible footwork I think of Angulo, or Ponce De Leon

Comment

no it's not terrible, he uses his feet very well. The only problem is that his feet are not so fast.

Comment

is punishable by death!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          Terrible? I don't think he's Floyd Mayweather but I think his footwork is good. I mean, he cuts the ring off beautifully, takes great angles and defends as he comes in about as good as anyone in the game.

What I was most impressed with is the way he doesn't get hit flush as he comes forward. He catches a lot of shots, slips a lot of shots and counters beautifully when in proper position.

Terrible is not a word I would use. When I think of terrible footwork I think of Angulo, or Ponce De Leon
          I'm not sold on his defense. Its good, but I don't think its as great as everyone claims it to be. Difference is, because of his power, nobody has been able to survive/bang with him to test/exploit it. Still a question mark with his defense and chin IMO.

Imo, people saying his defense is great are just listening to the HBO casting desperately trying to sell their only product/hope ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
            I'm not sold on his defense. Its good, but I don't think its as great as everyone claims it to be. Difference is, because of his power, nobody has been able to survive/bang with him to test/exploit it. Still a question mark with his defense and chin IMO.

Imo, people saying his defense is great are just listening to the HBO casting desperately trying to sell their only product/hope ATM.
            I don't listen to anyone, I been involved in boxing for over 25 years as a fighter or trainer. So there's no need to make blanket statements like that and think because you have an opinion, everyone else can't think for themselves.

His defense is very good FOR THE STYLE HE CARRIES. I feel the same about Mathysse, they may not be great defensive fighters when you think of that but for pressure fighters they avoid a lot of shots.

GGG reminds me of Chavez Sr. He moves very similar and stalks his opponent with great angels and behind the jab. Now, his defense might just well be his offense, I can't say that for sure because you are right, we have yet to see someone push him back.

For all we know, he can't box going backwards but since he has close to 400 fights, I think it's fair to say that he's been schooled well in all aspects of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              I don't listen to anyone, I been involved in boxing for over 25 years as a fighter or trainer. So there's no need to make blanket statements like that and think because you have an opinion, everyone else can't think for themselves.

His defense is very good FOR THE STYLE HE CARRIES. I feel the same about Mathysse, they may not be great defensive fighters when you think of that but for pressure fighters they avoid a lot of shots.

GGG reminds me of Chavez Sr. He moves very similar and stalks his opponent with great angels and behind the jab. Now, his defense might just well be his offense, I can't say that for sure because you are right, we have yet to see someone push him back.

For all we know, he can't box going backwards but since he has close to 400 fights, I think it's fair to say that he's been schooled well in all aspects of boxing.
              I agree that his defense has been good enough for what he does/ and his matchups,but a lot of people are acting like he's Pernell Whitaker. Its good, but not great. There are flaws, the difference is his power. Nobody wants to exchange, nobody wants to commit. Just surviving is on their mind.

And yeah, it was a blanket statement not necessarily directed at you, but most certainly directed at nsb. Not saying you're wrong, just in my eyes there's still a question mark there.

I'd like to see him in with somebody who can take a shot, and isn't afraid to exchange. Someone who isnt afraid to trade hooks, etc. Its not like his chin is covered at all times....

Comment

He crosses his feet frequently when stalking, at least he did in the macklin fight. I think he'll be chasing a slicker guy more than he'll be cutting off the ring. I will say that he manages to stay in position to punch most of the time, but I think he'd do well to move more traditionally.

But right now, his record speaks for itself. I think a guy like Sergio Martinez who gets on his bike for 12 rounds can beat GGG. Martinez is past his peak a bit and can get caught, so GGG definitely has a good chance there, but if Martinez can stick and move, I think GGG will be punching at air most of the fight.

This isn't a "fan based" observation, I'll be routing for GGG if he faces Martinez. I just think he's got some quirks on the footwork that should be fixed. Then again, it could just be because Macklin wasn't going to do anything fancy so GGG didn't really have to worry about anything more than stalking.

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
                  And yeah, it was a blanket statement not necessarily directed at you, but most certainly directed at nsb.
                  You can't really compare conversation here to that of NSB . . . two completely different animals.

But I hear ya . . .

Comment

You said his footwork is terrible, then in the next sentence you said...

"I will say he stays in position to punch most of the time..."

Well sir, that is the definition of good footwork.

The entire objective of footwork is to enable the fighter to always be in position to punch and/or defend while maintaining proper stance and balance. Period.

Some fighters are much LIGHTER on their feet than others and some people perceive this as having superior footwork. Not necessarily. Guys like GGG and Broner are all about walking down guys and doing damage...so they tend to appear "heavy footed" because power comes from having your foot planted. But that footwork enables them to meet their objective. Their style doesn't warrant them having footwork like a Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather...but it doesn't make their footwork less than those guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X