Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does working out on an empty stomach burn fat or muscle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does working out on an empty stomach burn fat or muscle?

My friend wants to lose weight so he's panning on working out with just water and no food in the morning. I told him that he'll lose muscle first before the fat. I'm I wrong?

yes, you're wrong. mostly, anyway.

what your friend loses will depend a good deal on the composition of his body. if he's ripped to the bone there's obviously no fat to lose. it doesn't sound that way, though. if he's got fat on him he'll lose it much more quickly than muscle.

i've just moved back to eating only at night (i drink milk and OJ during the day, though.) i did it off and on (mostly on,) for years. i don't want to boast, but i am pretty flippin big.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      yes, you're wrong. mostly, anyway.

what your friend loses will depend a good deal on the composition of his body. if he's ripped to the bone there's obviously no fat to lose. it doesn't sound that way, though. if he's got fat on him he'll lose it much more quickly than muscle.

i've just moved back to eating only at night (i drink milk and OJ during the day, though.) i did it off and on (mostly on,) for years. i don't want to boast, but i am pretty flippin big.
      He's a muscular guy but he has a lot of belly fat that won't come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigg happpy View Post
        He's a muscular guy but he has a lot of belly fat that won't come off.

hmm

that's the probably genepool, his age, and his diet. how old is he?

cardio and diet would be my suggestion for this bloke. any work he does in the gym should be done at a high tempo and with high reps.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          hmm

that's the probably genepool, his age, and his diet. how old is he?

cardio and diet would be my suggestion for this bloke. any work he does in the gym should be done at a high tempo and with high reps.
          He's 30 and eats pretty good and is very active. I told him that he should do some interval training to burn more fat in his body.

Comment

Get him running bare footed through the woods, the nutrients in the earth will make him into a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Get him running bare footed through the woods, the nutrients in the earth will make him into a beast.
              Lol, lol, lol, sorry but I can't give you green right now. But you're right the earth will make him a beast.

Comment

Running on an empty stomach would be fine, I'd avoid too much strenuous activity though e.g lifting hard.

If he wants to lose weight, get him running in the morning when he firsts get up. Come back, have breakfast and after an hour or two, go the gym. It depends on how his schedule looks in the day as to whether he can do this, but a good run in the morning sets you up for the day.

Comment

As long as there are very low carbs in his body when he runs then he will burn far more muscle than fat.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                    Running on an empty stomach would be fine, I'd avoid too much strenuous activity though e.g lifting hard.

If he wants to lose weight, get him running in the morning when he firsts get up. Come back, have breakfast and after an hour or two, go the gym. It depends on how his schedule looks in the day as to whether he can do this, but a good run in the morning sets you up for the day.

This. Running on empty stomach is fine, but if lifting he really should put some fuel in his tank for the workout.

Comment

Working...
                    X