Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good time to be able to run 6 miles in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good time to be able to run 6 miles in?

I started running almost every day since last week tryna get my cardio up

I plan to increase the distance eventually but for now I'm starting with 6 miles.... What's a good ideal time it should take me to run that? It currently takes me about an hour running at a constant pace.

Since you are just starting, i would say anywhere from 40-45 minutes, you should be averaging about 7-8 minutes per mile.

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
      I started running almost every day since last week tryna get my cardio up

I plan to increase the distance eventually but for now I'm starting with 6 miles.... What's a good ideal time it should take me to run that? It currently takes me about an hour running at a constant pace.

If you are addressing this from a boxing angle then running times / competence over six miles differs greatly based on your weight. 6 miles in one hour isn't bad at all for a heavyweight. But I'd expect a world class lightweight in his prime to rattle off anywhere between 30 and 34 mins for six miles under race conditions on a flat course.

My days of going to the boxing club are long over, though I still do the training. I've since taken up running and can do six miles in around 35mins 20 secs. I weigh around 11 stone ( light middleweight ).

If you want to improve your running you need a combination of easy paced runs at conversational pace and speed or hill work which is pretty frantic. But build up slowly to avoid injury.

Comment

I'm 6'1, 205 or so. I have been running four miles at an average of 9 minutes per mile over the last couple of months (six weeks actually). I started off running one mile in 9 minutes and vomiting. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          If you are addressing this from a boxing angle then running times / competence over six miles differs greatly based on your weight. 6 miles in one hour isn't bad at all for a heavyweight. But I'd expect a world class lightweight in his prime to rattle off anywhere between 30 and 34 mins for six miles under race conditions on a flat course.

My days of going to the boxing club are long over, though I still do the training. I've since taken up running and can do six miles in around 35mins 20 secs. I weigh around 11 stone ( light middleweight ).

If you want to improve your running you need a combination of easy paced runs at conversational pace and speed or hill work which is pretty frantic. But build up slowly to avoid injury.
          Damn @ not bad for a heavyweight lol I'm 5'6 170 looks like I'm gonna have to do overtime work and then some

Great post though. thanks for this

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
            Damn @ not bad for a heavyweight lol I'm 5'6 170 looks like I'm gonna have to do overtime work and then some

Great post though. thanks for this

The first few weeks are the hardest. Honestly, if you keep up running at least 4 days a week your 6 mile time will tumble dramatically.

Just remember, you don't need to be puffing and panting hard on every run. Throw a few easy jogs in there......

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              The first few weeks are the hardest. Honestly, if you keep up running at least 4 days a week your 6 mile time will tumble dramatically
              This is good to hear lol, so far I've been going for 6 mile runs almost everyday so far and plan on continuing like that.

Shouldn't take me too long to improve though, I don't think I'm in too bad shape cause I still got more than enough energy to do all my conditioning workouts, and usually before I do the run I actually do about 2 hours of boxing @ my boxing gym as well haha

Comment

Working...
              X