Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reactive Mitts with a student (Showing Off)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Live2box View Post
    I'm not saying these guys know everything but I think if you ask them a direct question on the issue, than give them a little time to answer. After that, the questionaire should zip up and listen intently with an open mind. They will explain it in their own way or words. Their understanding of the principle might not be the same as yours (in words) but they still have deeper understanding. You'll find most of these guys will make thing as simple as possible for their boxers to understand. But it doesn't mean they don't understand it deeply.
    this is true, i just don't think that there are that many coaches who do this consistently and effectively enough - it seems to me that there is too much of what i see from coaches is based on assumptions and not genuine, proven experiences. this is one reason that the soviets and now the cubans are so effective in their coaching methods - they share concrete advances with each other and collectively look to improve them. again maybe not every one of their coaches can speak eloquently about it but their knowledge will be based on something tried and tested and they'll have learnt off someone who could articulate the ideas coherently.
    i know that cuban coaches that are very prominent on the island that have to defend their training plans in front of the national commission.

A lot of people here will probably take a shot at me for what I'm about to say, but I don't even get my boxers to use swivel speed balls. Eventhough all or most great champions in history used em. Simply because I don't think it's that productive compare to other training they can do instead. If I have to choose the swivel speed ball and the floor to ceiling, I would choose the floor to ceiling.
    me neither!

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
      How about Ali-Foreman? Are you aware of those two fighters and their training styles?
      never heard of them, they in MMA..? i'll have to youtube them eh?

Comment

deejd..suppose I say we have no idea how Foreman or Ali train..Now please explain your point once and for all..You're killing me mate..hahahaha!
        Last edited by Live2box; 12-27-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

deejd..suppose I say we have know idea how Foreman or Ali train..Now please explain your point once and for all..You're killing me mate..hahahaha!
          blood out of a stone - he/she doesn't have a point

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
            blood out of a stone - he/she doesn't have a point
            George Foreman trained by throwing nothing but power punches and dare I say it, had pretty good form throughout his years throwing those power shots. Didn't seem to help him against a past-it Ali... who just so happen to train by bouncing on his feet all over the ring not staying stationary. Matter of fact, he did mitt work for some fights that consisted of 10 rounds just jabbing.... Jabs. But you know, that's a terrible technique to use, especially for a fighter who doesn't have it anymore, right?

Winky Wright is one of the most technical boxers that's stepped into the ring, especial in the latter part of his career... Soliman's technique and mitt work he does for training is nowhere near Wright's, yet he was still able to perform well against Wright in a fight that was tough to score for either guy.

Sweet Pea's mitt work and training consisted of skill focused on reaction, yet the guy they call The Professor, one of the most brilliant, technical and powerful KO artists in the sport got his ears boxed off by Whitaker. I guess Whitaker, who wasn't known as a heavy-handed fighter should have just stood there and banged because 1-2-3-4 power punching is all you need in combat.

Hopkins who is one of the most technical fighters in the sport who has a solid beard got schooled by Roy Jones Jr who has a training regimen where even on the bags he doesn't throw his strongest punches, yet he had amazing power when it came to fight night.

Adamek... basic, straight up and down 1-2-3-4 power punch fighter, barely won a fight that could have arguably gone to Cunningham despite being knocked down three times a few years back. Last weekend, the smarter boxer who trained to be able to counter and avoid power punches was robbed. And if you honestly believe Adamek beat Cunningham, there's a clear bias, and I'll refute addressing you anywhere on here or NSB.

To say that the mitt work that the Mayweather's do are less effective than the basic 1-2-3-4 method with nothing but power is ignorant and close-minded. Styles of mitt work, just like the fighters that do them, vary. I wouldn't place heavy emphasis on Khan doing 1-2-3-4 power punches considering how terrible his chin is and knowing he doesn't have the power of a Maidana, Matthyssee, or even a Garcia for that matter. Peterson was shook up by Tim Bradley and Khan couldn't even hurt Peterson.

Are the basics good, of course, it's the foundation. Do I think it's more effective than reactive mitts, not at all. The difference here is that I can at least recognize that styles vary and as much as they vary, the fighter should be able to adjust and there's no better way to prepare them for that than by implementing more intricate mitt work regardless of small imperfections that can still be adjusted or even work in the fighters favor.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
              this is true, i just don't think that there are that many coaches who do this consistently and effectively enough - it seems to me that there is too much of what i see from coaches is based on assumptions and not genuine, proven experiences. this is one reason that the soviets and now the cubans are so effective in their coaching methods - they share concrete advances with each other and collectively look to improve them. again maybe not every one of their coaches can speak eloquently about it but their knowledge will be based on something tried and tested and they'll have learnt off someone who could articulate the ideas coherently.
              i know that cuban coaches that are very prominent on the island that have to defend their training plans in front of the national commission.

me neither!
              I think that most top coaches with tons of experience and knowledge would keep things for themself, until they are being asked to view their point of course. So most of them are very intelligent but they don't brag.

On the other hand I think the utube is way too over crowded with wannbes (coaches) who try to sell themself or their system (mostly for free..lol!). Hahahaha!!

Comment

Mayweather started this style. I'm seeing it more and more now a days.

Comment

George Foreman trained by throwing nothing but power punches and dare I say it, had pretty good form throughout his years throwing those power shots. Didn't seem to help him against a past-it Ali... who just so happen to train by bouncing on his feet all over the ring not staying stationary. Matter of fact, he did mitt work for some fights that consisted of 10 rounds just jabbing.... Jabs. But you know, that's a terrible technique to use, especially for a fighter who doesn't have it anymore, right?

Winky Wright is one of the most technical boxers that's stepped into the ring, especial in the latter part of his career... Soliman's technique and mitt work he does for training is nowhere near Wright's, yet he was still able to perform well against Wright in a fight that was tough to score for either guy.

Sweet Pea's mitt work and training consisted of skill focused on reaction, yet the guy they call The Professor, one of the most brilliant, technical and powerful KO artists in the sport got his ears boxed off by Whitaker. I guess Whitaker, who wasn't known as a heavy-handed fighter should have just stood there and banged because 1-2-3-4 power punching is all you need in combat.

Hopkins who is one of the most technical fighters in the sport who has a solid beard got schooled by Roy Jones Jr who has a training regimen where even on the bags he doesn't throw his strongest punches, yet he had amazing power when it came to fight night.

Adamek... basic, straight up and down 1-2-3-4 power punch fighter, barely won a fight that could have arguably gone to Cunningham despite being knocked down three times a few years back. Last weekend, the smarter boxer who trained to be able to counter and avoid power punches was robbed. And if you honestly believe Adamek beat Cunningham, there's a clear bias, and I'll refute addressing you anywhere on here or NSB.

To say that the mitt work that the Mayweather's do are less effective than the basic 1-2-3-4 method with nothing but power is ignorant and close-minded. Styles of mitt work, just like the fighters that do them, vary. I wouldn't place heavy emphasis on Khan doing 1-2-3-4 power punches considering how terrible his chin is and knowing he doesn't have the power of a Maidana, Matthyssee, or even a Garcia for that matter. Peterson was shook up by Tim Bradley and Khan couldn't even hurt Peterson.

Are the basics good, of course, it's the foundation. Do I think it's more effective than reactive mitts, not at all. The difference here is that I can at least recognize that styles vary and as much as they vary, the fighter should be able to adjust and there's no better way to prepare them for that than by implementing more intricate mitt work regardless of small imperfections that can still be adjusted or even work in the fighters favor.
                  Thank you. I'm not saying I now fully understand your examples, since I have no idea how everyone else involves trained or prepared themself for the bouts you mentioned, but I see some of your points..

Anyway, as for Ali/Forman? I thought Ali won because of the rope-a-dope fight strategy. He only opens up when he felt Foreman's power decreases..He wasn't on his toes and float like a butterfly, but stood there and let Foreman punched himself out while playing the mind games with taunts.hahaha!

During the early days, I thought Bernard Hopkins first learned his trade in jail, and only improve it with age, as he started to work with experience coaches along the way since he fought Roy Jones. Anyway thanks for the reply mate.
                  Last edited by Live2box; 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I'm not saying I fully understand your example now since I have no idea how everyone else involves with their training to prepare themself before these fights you mentioned, but I see your point..

Anyway, as for Ali/Forman? I thought Ali won because of the rope-a-dope fight strategy. He only opens up when he felt Foreman's power decreases..He wasn't on his toes and float like a butterfly, but stood there and let Foreman punched himself out while playing the mind games and constantly taunting him..hahaha!

During the early days, I thought Bernard Hopkins first learned his trade in jail, and only improve it with age, as he started to work with experience coaches along the way since he fought Roy Jones. Anyway thanks for the reply mate.
                    Right, the rope-a-dope was able to beat the "basic 1-2-3-4 w/ other-worldly power." What does that say about the basics?

Great for Hopkins, so what happened with Calzhage? He never throws punches with full leverage and he supposedly "pity-pats" on the mitts, how come the superior, finely-tuned technique of Hopkins couldn't get a victory against Calzhage? Dawson?

Comment

Right, the rope-a-dope was able to beat the "basic 1-2-3-4 w/ other-worldly power." What does that say about the basics?

Great for Hopkins, so what happened with Calzhage? He never throws punches with full leverage and he supposedly "pity-pats" on the mitts, how come the superior, finely-tuned technique of Hopkins couldn't get a victory against Calzhage? Dawson?
                      Sorry I was only rebounding your last post back to you.."Ali who just so happen to train by bouncing on his feet all over the ring not staying stationary" ? Well in that fight you used for an example, Ali did stay stationary. lol!

Look, whether its 1,2,3,4 or flashy mitts work, fighters don't neccesary become successful or unsuccessful because of it. In regards to you kept refering to basics? (This can be another topic thread as it is debatable). Perhaps what we teach as basics is different with great coaches' basics. Perhaps what Eddy Futch, Dundee, Steward or Roach etc..drills as basic (to them), are perhaps advance to us average coaches. Perhaps the lateral moves and dancing around of Ali were drilled by both Ali and Dundee as basics. You get my drift? But I think perhaps you may have missed the point and give way too much credits for pad work here. Keep in mind there are other factors which why fighters become successful..e.g. Fight strategy, abilities to take on board instruction at the corner during pressure situations, good fitness and condition, hearts & determination as well as home crowd supports.

And as much as I don't like saying it to the sport that we all love so much...corrupts and biased judging.

Now that you brought up Roy Jones jr, who would of thought Roy Jones would get knocked out by Danny Green in the first round? OK, you can say he was 100 years old when he fought him, but than again Bernard Hopkin was also 100 years old when he fought Calzaghe (and Calzhage was only 80 yrs old at the time.lol!) but points taken.
                      Last edited by Live2box; 12-27-2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X