Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How young is too young to start training???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Come∂ian View Post
    lol.............

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
      the 1st time my father brought me to the gym was when I was 8yrs old. I started training when I was 9. I was thinking of starting my son at around 5-6 yrs old but then I see kids like young cashflow that are about 6-7 and look like theyve been doing it for years.

So what's a good age to start a kid without having any side effects on their growth???
      Lots of successful boxers started at a very young age .....so id say the younger the better.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
        So what's a good age to start a kid without having any side effects on their growth???
        There is no reason to think sensible training would have any detrimental effects on growth.

My lad started "training" at 7 years old - just 2 sessions per week doing pads, bag work and circuit training. He then started more rigorous training at 9 doing 3-4 sessions per week (sparring once or twice per week).
        He's 12 now and trains hard 3-4 times per week plus a 1 or 2 easier sessions (i.e. 5 or 6 days per week). Every 4-6 weeks he has an easy week and every few months he has 1 or 2 weeks full rest (no training at all) to recover and prevent over-use injuries.

As long as he trains sensibly, he will be fine.

Comment

I was hitting the heavy bag at about the age of 10, I turned out alright. I think sparring at about 12-13 is a good start.

Comment

Working...
          X