Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How young is too young to start training???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How young is too young to start training???

the 1st time my father brought me to the gym was when I was 8yrs old. I started training when I was 9. I was thinking of starting my son at around 5-6 yrs old but then I see kids like young cashflow that are about 6-7 and look like theyve been doing it for years.

So what's a good age to start a kid without having any side effects on their growth???

For real wait until like 12 or so. I hate seeing little 8 year old boys in the gym getting beat up by 18+ year olds. I cant stand that in my gym. Let him develop and give him a chance.

Comment

5-6 years old could be fine without sparring. maybe some mitt work, heavy bag and jump rope. I would avoid getting kids some sparring until their at least 13 years old but that's my opinion.

Comment

I'd say around 8. Earlier the better to start learning fundamentals. Any hard training can stunt your growth though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombs View Post
          For real wait until like 12 or so. I hate seeing little 8 year old boys in the gym getting beat up by 18+ year olds. I cant stand that in my gym. Let him develop and give him a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Come∂ian View Post
            I'd say around 8. Earlier the better to start learning fundamentals. Any hard training can stunt your growth though.
            Well my whole thing is staying ahead of the curve. When I see kids on youtube around 5 yrs old throwing 10punch combos with gloves the size of their whole arm is that a growing new trend thatll make starting at 8yrs old too late??

Comment

Comment

I've got 3 boys..

my 8 year old has been training for about a year off and on..has had 2 amateur bouts (1-1)

my 5 year old knows the basic one-two and jumps rope..

my 18 mth old puts his guard up and punches furiously mocking his oldest brother mainly..

I don't think there's a such thing as too young for boxing..as long as you have the patience to teach and show them the basics..stance, guard, one-two, etc

as far as heavy bag goes I'd wait til they get more advanced with their punches to avoid shoulder, wrist, and hand injuries..til then shadowboxing and light mitt work will do

Comment

Originally posted by Bombs View Post
                  What kind of **** gym in the outback of bangladesh shall this be?
                  Seems like a troll answer

Comment

I say go for it. Teach him how to punch, get him moving around/using his feet, etc. Kids are more capable than people realize, just ask old spartans. I wouldnt do much with weights at that age, and wouldnt do much sparring (maybe some very light sparring/shadowbixing him). Kids are gonna be active regardless if they are they are training or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X