No announcement yet.

Starting training.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting training.

I live in Vancouver and I am going to start going to sugar rays boxing in January. I am a mixed martial artist (Training for 2 1/2 years, took a year off to have surgery on my knees from wrestling.) I am 19 and just getting back into serious training. I would like some guys opinions on sugar rays and other boxing clubs/trainers in Vancouver just to make sure I can choose the right one.

A little info, I have mild asthma and my foot work is not very good at the moment. I have always been a good grappler but I have always enjoyed striking more. I feel that if I do want to become a great fighter overall boxing is probably the best way to go (Most MMA guys are terrible with their hands). I am willing to put in all the effort that my training requires and hope to go amateur by 20-21ish, and pro 21-23ish. Does that sound like a reasonable time line?

I would consider being a professional boxer but my brain and intelligence means a lot to me. I have always just figured that MMA is safer in terms of athletes getting brain damage.
    Last edited by Shadownero; 12-22-2011, 06:59 AM.

Your timeframe seems very reasonable. Any boxing gym should have proper trainers that can help you with your foot work... practice practice practice! Same with timing and jabbing techniques.
    I like your selection of fighters you always support, but why no Jon "Bones" Jones?

Comment

Originally posted by oztheuzi View Post
      Your timeframe seems very reasonable. Any boxing gym should have proper trainers that can help you with your foot work... practice practice practice! Same with timing and jabbing techniques.
      I like your selection of fighters you always support, but why no Jon "Bones" Jones?
      Personally I did not like Jon Jones for awhile. That is changing though the more I look into him so he will be on my list soon enough.

Thank you for your input also.

Comment

Vancouver eh? I'm from the island man! mid van island, Campbell River. I hope to be moving to vancouver in the next year to persue my dream of becoming a pro boxer. I'm 17 at the mometn and a guy to look into that lives in van is Manny Sobral

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin26 View Post
          Vancouver eh? I'm from the island man! mid van island, Campbell River. I hope to be moving to vancouver in the next year to persue my dream of becoming a pro boxer. I'm 17 at the mometn and a guy to look into that lives in van is Manny Sobral
          I will be sure to check him out. I was born in Campbell river and raised there until I was 10. I hope you have the best of luck becoming a pro boxer. The thing that diverts me from it is brain damage. MMA just seems safer, anyway good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadownero View Post
            I will be sure to check him out. I was born in Campbell river and raised there until I was 10. I hope you have the best of luck becoming a pro boxer. The thing that diverts me from it is brain damage. MMA just seems safer, anyway good luck man.

Pointless IMO of speaking about going pro when you're a long way off. Best to get sparring at least & take it from there, take one step at a time bro.
            Eat, sleep, breathe boxing. Listen to your coaches and take one day at a time.

Brain damage in boxing is rare, especially these days where you have to pass medicals etc

MMA is not safer, if anything it's even more dangerous. They're allowed to use locks/chokes, little 4oz gloves, knees, elbows etc

Comment

Originally posted by dancovboxer View Post
              Pointless IMO of speaking about going pro when you're a long way off. Best to get sparring at least & take it from there, take one step at a time bro.
              Eat, sleep, breathe boxing. Listen to your coaches and take one day at a time.

Brain damage in boxing is rare, especially these days where you have to pass medicals etc

MMA is not safer, if anything it's even more dangerous. They're allowed to use locks/chokes, little 4oz gloves, knees, elbows etc
              I would have to really think it through before going pro in boxing. It would be a big career change and I would have to start from scratch. I have been doing MMA for 2 years but my boxing is sub par in my opinion. Therefor I am joining a boxing club along with my usual training. I will consider boxing if I can get paid more and have less risk of brain damage. I enjoy both sports but MMA does seem safer. The chokes are not much to worry about and tapping out is easy enough to reduce risks of injury. Pride is not worth a lifelong injury. As for the gloves I have never really had a problem with them, I do not enjoy being hit so I use as much defense as I can and since I do not like being hit I would rather take my boxing to a higher level. If I am better then others at boxing I will most likely get hit less.

I guess I see MMA as safer because I have been in and around it longer than I have boxing.

Comment

mma is much more dangerous. i was reading a thread on sherdog the other day about a guy that just turned pro. he got knocked down and caught by a hammer fist on the ground. split is skull wide open and now he cant fight. i think the ground and pound aspect of mma makes it a much more dangerous sport, not to mention the back and shoulder injuries from grappling. i speak from experience, i had to give up grappling due to injuries, and i never even got to an amateur level. im half way through a year off to have shoulder surgery and then im going to start a pure striking sport. maybe boxing or muay thai

Comment

Originally posted by josh-hill View Post
                  mma is much more dangerous. i was reading a thread on sherdog the other day about a guy that just turned pro. he got knocked down and caught by a hammer fist on the ground. split is skull wide open and now he cant fight. i think the ground and pound aspect of mma makes it a much more dangerous sport, not to mention the back and shoulder injuries from grappling. i speak from experience, i had to give up grappling due to injuries, and i never even got to an amateur level. im half way through a year off to have shoulder surgery and then im going to start a pure striking sport. maybe boxing or muay thai
                  this is so true... I've only been training bjj for like 8 months but about a month ago i popped my right shoulder twice in training now i have constant issues with it.

Comment

mma is safer its a fact. doesnt make it less than boxing but ill just tell you why, scientifiically its safer. obviously you have guys like gsp who dont take much damage to their face through superior grappling.also, when your allowed to use more stiking points, it also means less focus on head shots.last but not least the smaller gloves mean you take take alot of shots like boxing gloves (make no mistake boxing gloves ARE NOT alot bigger). its proven a one shot ko is much better for you than taking tons of punches up against the ropes or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                    X