Collapse
No announcement yet.

am i too old to start boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats why I said I wasnt sure. it was some guy fighting for a title awhile back on hbo. I remember jim lampley saying something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzin Boxing Mexican
      how much money can u make if u go pro.
      If money is your sole purpose in Boxing then you will most likely be greatly disappointed.

Figure first that you are not paid to train, you are paid when you fight.

Then think about agreeing for a fight with some guy in 1 month and training your ass off for it. If your fighting four rounders as many do at the beginning of their careers, you will be fighting for $200-$400 most of the time. Then you get a call 2 days before the fight informing you that your opponent is unable to compete for what ever reason. So you set a fight up for next month and the same thing happens, it falls through. So there you have trained for 2 months and have earned 0 dollars.

Then when you do fight, dig this, you may end up with 40%-45% of your original purse that was stated on the fight contract. How does this happen, let me count the ways.

First you will pay uncle sam his 30-40%
      Then you will pay your manager 33-50%(depending on manager)
      Then you will pay you trainer 10%
      Then you will pay your cornermen 5%
      (These %'s are after taxes.)

So lets figure that you got up to fighting your first 10 round fight and was being paid the standard $1500.

Say uncle sam got 35% so that will leave you with $975.
      Pay your manager 40% of whats left and you now have $585
      Pay your trainer 10% of whats left and you have $525
      Pay your corner 5% of whats left and you have about $500 take home pay for the fight.

Believe me, the fighter is the last to get rich in the game. ontop of that figure that you had fights fall through and had not fought for 3 months. Your pay for the 3 months of training would be about $500 or $133 per month or about $33 per month. You could make the big time but there are many things standing in your way to the money. If you get with good management and people that money may still be there when your done. Ever her the story of Primo Carnerra?

Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin1
        If money is your sole purpose in Boxing then you will most likely be greatly disappointed.

Figure first that you are not paid to train, you are paid when you fight.

Then think about agreeing for a fight with some guy in 1 month and training your ass off for it. If your fighting four rounders as many do at the beginning of their careers, you will be fighting for $200-$400 most of the time. Then you get a call 2 days before the fight informing you that your opponent is unable to compete for what ever reason. So you set a fight up for next month and the same thing happens, it falls through. So there you have trained for 2 months and have earned 0 dollars.

Then when you do fight, dig this, you may end up with 40%-45% of your original purse that was stated on the fight contract. How does this happen, let me count the ways.

First you will pay uncle sam his 30-40%
        Then you will pay your manager 33-50%(depending on manager)
        Then you will pay you trainer 10%
        Then you will pay your cornermen 5%
        (These %'s are after taxes.)

So lets figure that you got up to fighting your first 10 round fight and was being paid the standard $1500.

Say uncle sam got 35% so that will leave you with $975.
        Pay your manager 40% of whats left and you now have $585
        Pay your trainer 10% of whats left and you have $525
        Pay your corner 5% of whats left and you have about $500 take home pay for the fight.

Believe me, the fighter is the last to get rich in the game. ontop of that figure that you had fights fall through and had not fought for 3 months. Your pay for the 3 months of training would be about $500 or $133 per month or about $33 per month. You could make the big time but there are many things standing in your way to the money. If you get with good management and people that money may still be there when your done. Ever her the story of Primo Carnerra?

Rockin'
        You are right Rockin' if you want boxing for the money then you will be disappointed it seems. Especially if you are not getting decent media exposure. However there are instances when your rule would not count i think. For instance, up and coming Amir Khan. None of his fights have fallen through so far, he has won them all, and will be a millionaire within the next 2 years under Frank Warren.

Frank Warren - almost guaranteed financial security IMO.

Comment

Ofcourse, winning a medal in the olympics is a shoe-in for the money. I was only assuming that the guy who asked the question about the money had not won a medal.

The stats that I gave are for the 99.9% of boxers that dont bring home a medal.

I believe that when Pernell, Meldrick, and Tyrell turned pro they recieved $100,000 for their pro debuts in '84. I'm not certain what Evander was paid. Anybody know?

Rockin'

Comment

im not boxing for money, just doin it to stay in shape. the reason i asked was because i sometimes see old boxers fightin like in espn and i wonder how much they are gettin paid.

Comment

holyfield got $50,000 for his first fight, he said it himself

Comment

Working...
              X