What am I doing wrong? (Advice needed)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MegaHold View Post
    Thanks a lot bro!

Also, if I were to slowly lose around 8lbs of fat (and minimal muscle, up to 1lb of muscle if I prolonged the weight loss) do you think I would be able to move/hit faster? or will 8lbs not do a hell of a lot? It must help me in some way, like for endurance?

thanks again.
    Here is what I learned from taking nutritional classes in college.

Usually, losing weight is good for the overall health. Endurance benefits from lose of weight.

And also, height and weight comes to play when it comes to gaining and losing weight. Tall person let us say 6'1 and above losing weight to 147 lbs is crazy especially for adults because it takes careful planning (from training to eating) to come down to such weight. It might affect strength too because of lose of muscle mass (the body will eat the muscle and protein shakes, pills, and whatnot slows it down but the body will eat itself still). And for the short person 5'6 gaining weight is better because the body is not eating itself but increasing in mass overall. Also, there are people who are just naturally skinny and fat. So, I don't know who you are I can't tell if you are naturally skinny or fat. Or you became athletic because of years doing it. I know people in the military who were never athletic but are forced to become athletic because of PT tests and whatnot. So, they have have a different curve from you.

I'm rambling... I don't know. I can't tell. Not enough information.

Comment

Yes I used to do bodybuilding, I know a lot about nutrition etc it's cool, I know how to cut and gain weight. I'm only 17 but I'm 5'9 165 ish at around 13.5% bodyfat I'd say (I'm small for someone who works out I think, but meh, I workout at home and still live at home obviously ha)

Anyway...

I know how to cut slowly and maintain muscle/strength as much as possible, but I'm more interested in what dropping fat will do for me.

I know how to get there, but once I get there, will I notice more speed/endurance basically? or not much of a difference?

Comment

Yes I used to do bodybuilding, I know a lot about nutrition etc it's cool, I know how to cut and gain weight. I'm only 17 but I'm 5'9 165 ish at around 13.5% bodyfat I'd say (I'm small for someone who works out I think, but meh, I workout at home and still live at home obviously ha)

Anyway...

I know how to cut slowly and maintain muscle/strength as much as possible, but I'm more interested in what dropping fat will do for me.

I know how to get there, but once I get there, will I notice more speed/endurance basically? or not much of a difference?
        Now, I have some good information.

Yes, dropping from 165 lbs to let 157 lbs will give you speed. Endurance, yes because you will be lighter and go farther in the track. I was thinking you were 6'1 and older. Also, you are 17 years old. And you are still growing. I don't really want to suggest losing weight because you are still a teenager. You have a good chance of going 6 feet tall.

Ideal weight for you is 160 lbs to 150 lbs without doing any google search. Still, what are you after in boxing? Strength or speed? If you are going for speed then yes losing weight is a must. 5'9 you can be competing at Lightweight which is 135lbs. Although, you mentioned you are a bodybuilder then Lightweight will be hard on your body. So, I'll go with Welterweight 147lbs just so you have both speed and power.

Your body fat can still go down by a percent realistically I see you going down from 13.5% to 12-% (due to weight loss). You are cut. Damn. I should have known. Anyways, good luck.

Comment

Ha. I dunno I have fairly high standards because I'm used to wanting to look better all the time. I wouldn't say I'm very cut, but 8% bodyfat would definitely be.

Is it unhealthy to lose weight at 17?

And I don't know if I'd want to go down to 147 - something like 155 would be better for my body I think just now?

In boxing I'm probably looking for speed yes, I have some strength from using weights etc, I feel like I'm slow if anything.

Comment

Hi

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

My routine is like this:

I do weightlifting aimed at gaining strength throughout the week including squats, bench, deadlift etc and two boxing sessions:

Boxing A - 12 x 4 minute rounds, 1 minute rest in between each round, on bag
            Boxing B - short bursts of left/right on bag, then hooks, then body shots (all on bag), finish off with ab/neck work

Routine is like:

Mon - Boxing A
            Tue - Weightlifting, Boxing B
            Wed - Weightlifting, Boxing A
            Thu - Boxing B
            Fri - Weightlifting, Boxing A
            Sat - Weightlifting, Boxing B
            Sun - Rest

I do no running as of now. After weightlifting I do a couple of bodyweight exercises but I also currently do no circuits/bodyweight exercises.

I've been doing this the past few weeks as I haven't been able to get to my boxing club. I've been hitting it fairly hard I'd say, but today (Wednesday) I got down to the club and did sparring, hadn't done sparring in a while.

to be honest I felt ****. I got in the ring and just felt weak, and dizzy - was it nervous energy? I feel gutted, and it's getting to me a lot already. I really want to do well but I was too nervous to throw punches, felt like I was slow and weak and dizzy?! Pissed me off when I got out. I feel like I have potential, but I just felt light and useless today - and got hit, whilst I was barely hitting the other guy - and he was lighter/younger than me. Is it just nerves?

What am I doing wrong? How do I increase speed, endurance, power, everything?

Thanks a lot!

Side question: will dropping bodyfat (and minimal muscle/strength) and therefore weight, make me punch and move faster?

Also, if it was nerves, is there anything I can do to toughen my mindset? agh.

Thanks, sorry for all the text.
            summarize ur post to 3 or 4 sentences... i aint readin all dat ****...

Comment

lol summarized..

Training hard and consistently for a few weeks, couldn't make it to club so no sparring, went back to club and did sparring and felt worse than before - pretty ****.

so I'm asking what I'm doing wrong? advice basically on how to improve power/agility/speed/strength/endurance and mental edge/nervous energy maybe.

Comment

I think you felt like **** sparring because you haven't sparred in a while. Running helps but mostly for getting that 1 minute rest in between rounds. If you want good endurance, strength, and speed while sparring, just spar more. If you can't make it to your gym just simulate 3 minute rounds on a heavy bag throwing lots of punches (100+). Go for 5-10 rounds depending on how you feel. I am not saying neglect running but doing hard 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag really helps because it simulates sparring or boxing more. The endurance you build from running is anaerobic, which will be most useful for recovering in between rounds. I run 3 days a week for 30 minutes each time at a normal pace. You can also throw in 1 more day and do interval sprints which will also help explosiveness.
                Last edited by ChowAce; 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X